Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Do you want to be Buried, Cremated or COMPOSTED?

Site Supporter
    One of my best friends has a wife from the UK. Her father was here. He died. He wanted to be buried (or his ashes interred) in his native land. Thus, to honor his wishes, they pack him up in a customs approved container with the appropriate paper work and labeling. At the airport, they check and are told it is ok at baggage check in. However, the bag is opened later and the container opened and loosely re-sealed. Leaving Gramps to fly to the UK in his daughter's underwear. Significant parts of him were consigned to the washing machine in the hotel.

I've heard this story before with other versions of throwing the relative into the waters until a wind blows him or her over the funeral party. Make it simple, folks. My parents had a plot in the family cemetery in NY. Family society. However, they moved to Florida and told me that when they die, cut the crap and cremate them No need to ship them back to NYC.

Another point about cremation and heating that was mentioned. In Portland, hey CF, when I was there a funeral home advertised its green nature by using the oven heat to warm the facility. Jokes were that if it was cold outside they had a stack of Grandmas to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Pyre.
    This
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Show much wisdom here, also applicable beyond the scope of this thread. With Dr T's @Dr_Thanatos permission I'd like to add the bolded part in to my sig line
    All yours, my friend

Scatter my ashes in the produce section of Whole Foods.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

I've heard this story before with other versions of throwing the relative into the waters until a wind blows him or her over the funeral party.
    My sister may or may not have ingested a little bit of my mom when the wind kicked up. Which would be just like mom, honestly. No respect for personal space. Also, pro tip, open the container and look inside before you dump it. Many years ago, my dad decided that Grandma would appreciate being scattered off the end of the fishing pier near her condo and resting eternally in LI Sound. Setting aside the fact that Grandma didn't fish and the LI Sound is, well, the LI Sound, Grandma definitely did not want half of her ashes to drift away peacefully on a gentle breeze to settle slowly over the murky waters below and the other half to blop unceremoniously into the sound and float away slowly leaking out of the plastic bag nobody knew they stuffed her in. Dad has grand plans for his ashes. I told him if I'm in charge, he goes with Grandma.

Site Supporter
    As my dad got older, he gave me a little bag with his gold filled teeth that were replaced with bridges. I was a touch grossed out. I later took them to a jeweler I knew and got a few bucks.

I have some gold in my mouth. If I get cremated, do they give the relatives the gold? Do they pan the ashes for such? Just a thought. Never got anything from my mom and I knew she had some. Not worth arguing about at the time.

I've left instructions on how to deal with my value possessions and ran it by my attorney so the inheritors who are not expert, can deal with them.

I'm out, do what you want with whats left. I hope to live long enough that nobody wants whatever organs I had still functioning, but by all means salvage anything that can be useful.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

User Tag List