Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban on marijuana users owning guns unconstitutional, U.S. judge rules

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    The marijuana of today is much more potent and has much higher levels of THC than the marijuana of yesteryear.

Truthfully, we don’t yet know the long term effects of high-THC marijuana, but it can have the opposite effect of low-THC marijuana (which is what we think of when we think a decrease in anxiety, treating nausea in cancer patients, etc). A study published last year suggests that this more potent marijuana increases the risk of addiction and psychosis.

The only users of hard drugs that I’ve talked to that didn’t start with marijuana started with prescription drugs.
    What scares me the most about federal legalization in what RJ Reynolds and Phillip Morris (not to mention Pfizer and Bristol Myers) will manage to turn marijuana into. I guess it still might be better than smoking pesticide.

Site Supporter
    The marijuana of today is much more potent and has much higher levels of THC than the marijuana of yesteryear.

Truthfully, we don’t yet know the long term effects of high-THC marijuana, but it can have the opposite effect of low-THC marijuana (which is what we think of when we think a decrease in anxiety, treating nausea in cancer patients, etc). A study published last year suggests that this more potent marijuana increases the risk of addiction and psychosis.

The only users of hard drugs that I’ve talked to that didn’t start with marijuana started with prescription drugs.
    This ^^^.

Plus much of the “marijuana” use today is via marijuana / THC concentrates in the form of vape oils, THC Wax (aka “dab”) etc. which are significantly stronger than even todays more potent actual marijuana.

Site Supporter

Yes... But.....

People who want to get high are going to do it somehow...
    Booze, pills, MJ, bath salts, Kratom, coke, meth, whatever... I'd make a "lesser evil" argument for those folks, but, my hearts not in it at the moment.

If what you're after is some therapeutic effect, I'd wager you'd zero in on the types of Cannabis products that help provide that effect and not spend your days doped up and dysfunctional.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Yes... But.....

People who want to get high are going to do it somehow...
    Booze, pills, MJ, bath salts, Kratom, coke, meth, whatever... I'd make a "lesser evil" argument for those folks, but, my hearts not in it at the moment.

If what you're after is some therapeutic effect, I'd wager you'd zero in on the types of Cannabis products that help provide that effect and not spend your days doped up and dysfunctional.
    Come on now don’t forget the inmates, making their own wine with fruit and sugar from the chow hall in a garbage bag or the really desperate ones using salt to try and separate the alcohol from hand sanitizer. Hint - you really don’t want to do the latter.

But seriously, there are plenty of CBD products on the market that have negligible amounts of THC.

I don’t like maijuana, but I think alcohol is worse.

I read somewhere that marijuana use by kids (can't recall the age specified but under 18) is very detrimental to cognitive development. I am not opposed to legalizing it but the kids are already fighting an uphill battle. Don't know what luck we'll have keeping it away from them but we'd better try.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ve seen the destruction both alcohol abuse and marijuana abuse cause first hand.

I don’t need to listen to anyone’s podcast on either matter.

The “weed is no worse than alcohol” argument is not a positive one for weed. Alcohol is just culturally embedded.
    100% agree with this btw. Abuse is abuse.

My old guitarist has smoked regularly for almost 45 years now, and he says he doesn’t like the new high potency stuff. He used to be able to smoke, relax and be creative; now two hits of the most potent stuff turns him into goo. Because of this he looks specifically for home grown low potency weed.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    In my experience if I see a middle aged man on the list to come into my unit, there is a strong probability he's coming for severe alcohol withdrawal. For the severe abusers of alcohol, most of them aren't past middle aged. Meaning they either finally got free of the grip of addiction...or...more darkly...they just don't live much longer than that.

I have yet to see more than one 70 year old CIWA patient a year...and my unit pretty strongly specialized in ETOH withdrawal...getting dozens of this type of patient per month.

Meanwhile, in the 8 years I've worked in my unit, I have seen one severe marijuana overdose and it was a dementia patient who got into their kids edibles ate them all, and it threw them into psychosis. Marijuana is fully legal to use for recreation in my state.

Alcohol is considerably worse than ganja. Not even close.

Doesn't mean marijuana is harmless, but by no means should it occupy the place it does in the DEAs controlled substances schedule.

I am strongly cautious of my relationship with booze...as for MJ, it is still federally illegal for me to consume and own firearms, but I don't see myself hitting a blunt anytime soon, regardless of this law. Smoking is just bad for you regardless and some suspect weed increases estrogen production for men...which is both thought to have a carcinogenic effect...and something that would give me bitch tits. No thanks.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    What do you mean by that, Bill?
    More people handling guns while substance-impaired: what could possibly go wrong?

From a personal standpoint, I have known of disabled veterans who could not get medical marijuana, but could get all kinds of potent opioids which were likely at least as harmful if not more harmful. I understand that need. If someone has that need, and if they are willing to recognize when they are potentially impaired and refrain from driving, handling guns, etc., then I do not have a problem with that person possessing a gun.

How many users of any substance - alcohol, marijuana, or others - are really willing to recognize when they are impaired and refrain from handling guns at such times?

From the standpoint of long-term preservation of our rights, our recent, significant court victories are only as goos as hour ability to keep a sufficient number of good judges appointed to continue enforcing them. That means winning elections. Willing elections means bringing a small percentage of persuadable people in the middle to see things our way.

It is much easier to get those persuadable people in the middle comfortable with responsible, sober people handling guns than to get them comfortable with substance-impaired people handling guns.

I am quite far to the right on this issue and the vast majority of other issues, and I am not comfortable with substance-impaired people handling guns. In fact, when I get my colonoscopy every five years, for the 24 hours after the anesthetic that I am not supposed to drive, I also do not carry my gun. I also do not drink alcohol beyond a glass of wine every few years. I consider myself fortunate that I have never enjoyed drinking alcohol.

While this may seem like a victory from an absolute second amendment rights standpoint, I am concerned about what it does for or to our rights long-term.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 02-05-2023 at 04:35 PM.

User Tag List