Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban on marijuana users owning guns unconstitutional, U.S. judge rules

Site Supporter

Ban on marijuana users owning guns unconstitutional, U.S. judge rules

Bruen is having some significant implications.

Ban on marijuana users owning guns is unconstitutional, U.S. judge rules

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ban...es-2023-02-04/

Feb 4 (Reuters) - A federal law prohibiting marijuana users from possessing firearms is unconstitutional, a federal judge in Oklahoma has concluded, citing last year's U.S. Supreme Court ruling that significantly expanded gun rights.

U.S. District Judge Patrick Wyrick, an appointee of former Republican President Donald Trump in Oklahoma City, on Friday dismissed an indictment against a man charged in August with violating that ban, saying it infringed his right to bear arms under the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment.

Wyrick said that while the government can protect the public from dangerous people possessing guns, it could not argue Jared Harrison's "mere status as a user of marijuana justifies stripping him of his fundamental right to possess a firearm."

He said using marijuana was "not in and of itself a violent, forceful, or threatening act," and noted that Oklahoma is one of a number of states where the drug, still illegal under federal law, can be legally bought for medical uses.

The U.S. Department of Justice did not respond to request for comment but is likely to appeal.

The decision marked the latest instance of a court declaring a gun regulation unconstitutional after the U.S. Supreme Court's 6-3 conservative majority in June ruled that the Second Amendment protects a person's right to carry a handgun in public for self-defense.

That ruling, New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, announced a new test for assessing firearms laws, saying restrictions must be "consistent with this nation's historical tradition of firearm regulation."

On Thursday, the New Orleans-based 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals cited that decision in declaring unconstitutional a federal law barring people under domestic violence restraining orders from owning firearms.

Whoa. Like, far out, man.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Whether allowing people who use marijuana to possess guns is a good idea could be - and likely will be - the subject of a long debate in this thread and elsewhere.

If someone were actually trying to make case in the court of public opinion that the second amendment should be amended, this would certainly be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Whoa. Like, far out, man.
    I hear that sentence in the voice of Tommy Chong, even if I don’t want to.

Anyway, I didn’t expect this particular ruling.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Name:  1e48392d8df59bcfbc11f7decbcac7a1155839151e5fece526e011d44ccd468e.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  48.0 KB
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Interesting. Bringing the stoners into the fold might have some interesting implications politically. What they are gonna be I could not possibly say.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I hear that sentence in the voice of Tommy Chong, even if I don’t want to.

Anyway, I didn’t expect this particular ruling.

So I guess Hunter Biden is in the clear . . .
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    So I guess Hunter Biden is in the clear . . .
    As much as I detest pot, potheads, and their associated culture, Marijuana use is not as detrimental as opioid, meth or cocaine abuse.

This ruling doesn't extend beyond Marijuana so Hunter Biden is still on the hook as both a habitual unlawful drug user and for lying on a 4473.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

If someone were actually trying to make case in the court of public opinion that the second amendment should be amended, this would certainly be a good start.
    What do you mean by that, Bill?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List