Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Another change to the 147 HST?

Quote Originally Posted by 56kobra View Post

Now the oldest design and the newest design performed exactly the same . . . I don’t even know which of these two is the oldest and newest…

Attachment 102172Attachment 102173
    Those are both Gen 2 bullets.

Member of the General Population

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    With that in mind, are you still using the 147 or did you switch to either 124 or 124+p?
    Right now we still have the 147gr HST.

We’ve apparently purchased Winchester 124gr +P ammo…I don’t know what kind. I don’t think it’s Ranger. No idea why that was picked…there may not even be a good reason (I think our full-time firearms guys are jackasses and I’m under the impression that they’re not huge fans of me, either).

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Those are both Gen 2 bullets.

Well I guess my question now is how many generations are there total, and how many generations have a double cannelure?
    Because these two were bought 6-8 years apart and have a complete different label/marketing/colors on the boxes as you can see in my pics.

I believ the LE community noticed the more stark performance changes regarding more penetration less expansion within the last 2-3 years…

Either way, I’m not trying to overcomplicate anything, nor am I saying these new ones I just got are a different generation, they just look slightly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    For what it's worth, I have noted a similar, minimal but visually observable slight decrease in cavity opening on a recent shipment of HST 124 +P, compared to 2018 production. Otherwise the cartridge appears identical, including blue primer sealant.

If you take an older cartridge and the newer one, and swap them in your hand a few times, you can still identify which is which with a close look. That sort of difference. I didn't bother with a measurement.

This small of a change seems to me to be very unlikely to have any measurable effect on performance- "not enough difference to make a difference", all else presumed equal.
    Yeah my newer ones, the newer style boxes have the blue primer sealant, my older ones out of the old style box have red primer sealant

Quote Originally Posted by 56kobra View Post
    Yeah my newer ones, the newer style boxes have the blue primer sealant, my older ones out of the old style box have red primer sealant
    FWIW, I asked about the different colors when I was originally following up on this in 2020. Here’s what I posted after I talked to Federal:

I asked about this-- he said the sealant can be red, blue, or clear. It depends on what machine they're using.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    FWIW, I asked about the different colors when I was originally following up on this in 2020. Here’s what I posted after I talked to Federal:
    I've had all three colors, all with the double cannelure design, and all have performed well on 4 legged creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I know for a fact that Federal has redesigned the HST at least once in the last couple of years,
    No shit Sherlock.

Do you know for a fact that the change shown in OP's picture is sloppy manufacture and not an intended design change?
    I’m not the one who implied that this was a design change while failing to post any credible statement from Federal that this was a design change.

The bullet shown on the left is from the lot of 1st generation 147 grain HST that I tested and posted an article about in 2016. The bullet on the right is from a new lot of 147 grain HST that I recently received directly from Federal. The gen 1 bullet shows a cleanly formed lead core. The bullet from the new lot also shows a cleanly formed lead core, unlike the sloppily manufactured bullet posted in the OP.

Last edited by Molon; 03-15-2023 at 05:36 PM.

Vending Machine Operator

Another change to the 147 HST?

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    No shit Sherlock.

I’m not the one who implied that this was a design change while failing to post any credible statement from Federal that this was a design change.

The bullet shown on the left is from the lot of 1st generation 147 grain HST that I tested and posted an article about in 2016. The bullet on the right is from a new lot of 147 grain HST that I recently received directly from Federal. The gen 1 bullet shows a cleanly formed lead core. The bullet from the new lot also shows a cleanly formed lead core, unlike the sloppily manufactured bullet posted in the OP.

Correct, and when I was challenged by you on that I acknowledged your point that I was spitballing and simply posited that we both were. I also said I'd be curious to know the correct answer. I didn't double down, I expressed curiosity.

You've provided evidence that your supposition was correct, which I appreciate and acknowledge. I do not appreciate the way you chose to speak to me when I was nothing but courteous. I'm not an idiot, and I genuinely love learning new gun stuff. It's fine that I was wrong (even if it does give me some minor Federal QC concerns), but I had a basis for what I thought the situation was and welcomed correction. I'm sure you've been wrong before, and perhaps have even stated a belief without having the facts handy to back it up, and I'm sure you appreciated it when people were graceful about that.

I have zero interest in a pissing contest, you contribute good quality content to this forum, which I've expressed appreciation for before. I'd just like one of the only stress-free areas of my life (PF) to stay stress-free. If you want an apology that I posted a thought without a citation on my lunch break, you've got it.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 03-15-2023 at 09:04 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Right now we still have the 147gr HST.

We’ve apparently purchased Winchester 124gr +P ammo…I don’t know what kind. I don’t think it’s Ranger. No idea why that was picked…there may not even be a good reason (I think our full-time firearms guys are jackasses and I’m under the impression that they’re not huge fans of me, either).
    Choose all that apply
    -It was cheap
    -Female sales rep with big tits
    -Sales rep took them to lunch
    -It's +P!
    -The new HP looks badass
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

If you want an apology that I posted a thought without a citation on my lunch break, you've got it.
    No apology necessary.

User Tag List