Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Another change to the 147 HST?

These were just bought last month from Target Sports. Not as bad as the OP's and these pics make them look a lot worse than they really are. Five picked at random.

Name:  IMG_0387.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  44.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Choose all that apply
    -It was cheap
    -Female sales rep with big tits
    -Sales rep took them to lunch
    -It's +P!
    -The new HP looks badass
    That should sum it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    No shit Sherlock.

I’m not the one who implied that this was a design change while failing to post any credible statement from Federal that this was a design change.

The bullet shown on the left is from the lot of 1st generation 147 grain HST that I tested and posted an article about in 2016. The bullet on the right is from a new lot of 147 grain HST that I recently received directly from Federal. The gen 1 bullet shows a cleanly formed lead core. The bullet from the new lot also shows a cleanly formed lead core, unlike the sloppily manufactured bullet posted in the OP.

I didn’t say it was a design change, I noticed there looked like a difference and was asking if anyone had heard

Quote Originally Posted by 56kobra View Post
    I didn’t say it was a design change.
    And I never said that you did.

Member of the General Population

Thanks - I was merely trying to see if some of those in the know that post here had beard of anything….

Does anyone know if Federal also tweaked their 124gr HST bullet when they changed the 147? Do they also now have a double cannelure? Simple curiosity is the reason for my question. If I recall, the 147's were the ones that were shedding jackets in glass tests, which I think was one of the reasons they made changes.

I'm running semi-low on premium 9mm JHP, and I've been eyeballing various loads to replace may favored RA9T, mostly because the Winchester load is often unavailable, when Gold Dot or HST can be found a bit easier. With the recent recall of NYPD's 124 +P Gold Dot and then this thread, and apparent possible HST QC issues, I'm not sure which way I'll end up going when I eventually make a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Does anyone know if Federal also tweaked their 124gr HST bullet when they changed the 147? Do they also now have a double cannelure? Simple curiosity is the reason for my question. If I recall, the 147's were the ones that were shedding jackets in glass tests, which I think was one of the reasons they made changes.

I'm running semi-low on premium 9mm JHP, and I've been eyeballing various loads to replace may favored RA9T, mostly because the Winchester load is often unavailable, when Gold Dot or HST can be found a bit easier. With the recent recall of NYPD's 124 +P Gold Dot and then this thread, and apparent possible HST QC issues, I'm not sure which way I'll end up going when I eventually make a purchase.

The 124 grain is still a wide single cannelure, no design changes that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    The Internet gun community has always been a little nutty re: obsessing over minutiae of different carry loads; the lack of transparency from Vista regarding projectile updates has kicked this tendency into overdrive, resulting in a lot of what is essentially tea leaf reading. This thread is purely speculative and I wouldn't make a purchasing decision based on this discussion.

I'd just buy 124gr HSTs (standard or +P), make sure they run in your gun and shoot to the sights, and then practice putting them on target in rapid succession. 147gr HST and 124gr Gold Dots are probably fine too!

Site Supporter

Being a bit of a SME on the subject as you are.

What is a re-design? What is an incremental improvement, etc.?

I will say in this example… regardless of a single crimp or double crimp. Chuck Haggard’s citation of loss of performance and the fact this is what I EDC trump the semantics of the situation. But! Im figuring what’s considered what so I can know what’s expected.
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List