Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did the HST .357 Magnum ever come out?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    Just ordered a 200-round case of Winchester's 145 grain Silvertip HP .357 Magnum. Paid just under $1 per round. This load has a good track record over several decades, and did OK in the FBI test protocol. This load had been well discussed on this site.
    I'd strongly suggest running at least a box of it through your gun before you use it for carry, duty or defensive use. You need to vet it for reliability, familiarization, and accuracy/sighting/zeroing in your specific .357 revolver. Out of your 200 round case, I'd suggest off the bat shooting at least 50. And if you're getting it in several boxes, make sure you obtain samples from each box. I hope you have better experiences with it than I did-let us know.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I interesting stories...

I bought my GP-100 in about 1991, nothing done except action job and different wood inlay panels. The 145 grain Silvertip has been my 'go to' load all along. I have never had an issue with firearm or ammo.

And... I never changed from the factory springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    I interesting stories...

I bought my GP-100 in about 1991, nothing done except action job and different wood inlay panels. The 145 grain Silvertip has been my 'go to' load all along. I have never had an issue with firearm or ammo.

And... I never changed from the factory springs.
    That's great, but my experiences, and those anecdotally related in my p-f thread strongly indicate that there may be a significant difference in production/quality control of Winchester 145 gr Silvertips since 1991, especially recently. And I had issues with it with the Ruger factory full-strength mainspring (among others). And the last non-ignition issues were with the factory mainspring. Hey, it's your gun and your ammunition-if the new stuff works without incident, good on you, and go with it. But I suggest it's in your best interest to test at least 50 rounds of it first.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Fwiw I've shot 200 rounds through my m19-3 and 66-8 with zero failures.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I bought a 50 round box of 145 grain Winchester Silvertips in 2020 and about a dozen of the rounds had brass that was so messed up they would chamber but not fully seat.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

1255 fps from 4" revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    There is no chance of a Federal 154gr HST clocking over 1250 fps from a 4" .357 Magnum revolver.
    Even Buffalo Bore doesn't load their "Tactical" 357 Mag that hot.
    4” Python, max velocity 1338.4, average 1309.8. Perhaps you meant 1350?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The standard, for quite awhile, was 158gr @ 1,235fps from a 4" barrel.

Low 1300s is a lot spicier than I would have expected from Federal. Part of me wants to be shitty and just ask if anyone has actually weighed the bullets to verify they're 150+ grains. Going that hard on a relatively low(ish) volume, nearly 100-year old cartridge is an odd choice, but stranger things have happened. I mean, it's not terribly difficult much less impossible just... I would love to know what led to this particular load being produced in 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I bought a 50 round box of 145 grain Winchester Silvertips in 2020 and about a dozen of the rounds had brass that was so messed up they would chamber but not fully seat.
    Yeah, back in the 00s when Wal-Mart WWB was the cheapest thing going I had a few rounds where the bullet was obviously not properly seated before getting hammered into the case. Just gnarly looking case mouths with the brass ripped halfway down showing exposed bullet stem to stern.

Speer, Federal or generally well-regarded boutique brand defensive ammo? Sure. Winchester? Has been a hard pass for 20 years now. Maybe people who got theirs on contract with individual lots having better QC have had a good run but I've been burned enough times that Winchester stopped being relevant for defense ammo around the time Black Talons were discontinued.

User Tag List