From another contentious thread. While I dry fire my real guns quite a bit in the 'standard' (whatever that is) draw and pull the trigger, I also have a SIRT Glock 17. Besides standard practice with that, I also spend some time 'shooting' it from retention (took classes on that). It's surprising that you can actual 'hit' things at a distance with some accuracy. Distance being out to 3 yards (the mancave wall). Sometimes from a pocket draw with an obviously empty but Crimson Trace grip 642.

The point about FOF and retention by Cecil Burch is well taken. In the FOF exercises that I've done with hopefully non-FUDD trainers, the non Fuddish NTI, Rehn, Moses, classes or Givens conference, we rarely had a beep and standard draw from a static start. For instance, you have to walk through a door and two guys jump you, then the action begins (Results, I got shot in the shoulder, both of them in COM).

Just a point I wanted to make from a hobbyist, FOG, who yells at clouds. I do a bit of retention when I do dry fires with the SIRT. In the dreaded IDPA in TX, we had retention starts in quite a few stages.