Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: China Projects Airpower over CONUS

Press release said 9X.
    Why would they lie except maybe to stay in practice?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Why do you think it was an AIM-9X and not, say, an AIM-120?
    Apparently DoD rep said so in briefings with Pentagon reporters
    https://twitter.com/sentdefender/sta...76508288978945

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/statu...2DTk10eFQ&s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Balloon No 2 reported over South America. Wonder what the Chicoms want to see in Venezuela.
    Hot protesters?

Two F-22s were involved. Call sign FRANK01 and FRANK02. Nice little homage to Medal of Honor recipient Frank Luke, the "Arizona Balloon Buster" of WW1

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...s-with-missile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_...Honor_citation

All of this hype, and they didn’t even use the gun to shoot it down. My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.

I thought the Sidewinder AIM 9X is a heat seeker. So what was it tracking on a balloon?
    -9X has an Imaging Infrared seeker. It sees an IR image like a camera would. Doesn't need a defined hot spot like older heat seeking missiles. Plus at that altitude there is very little "clutter." I wouldn't be surprised if a -9x could track it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMSfg26YSQ
    See 0:51 as an example, that is the IIR image telemetry from a -9x during development and test back in 2000

Site Supporter
    I thought the Sidewinder AIM 9X is a heat seeker. So what was it tracking on a balloon?

Will the payload be in better shape for a splash down and recovery by divers, or would we have done better picking up pieces from the ground? I am sure our patriotic Montanans would have been glad to duck and cover.
    According to Wikipedia, the AIM-9X has “an imaging infrared focal-plane array (FPA)”.
    In my experience, it can be used to look at thermal contrast, and track what it’s told to.
    I used the 9X operationally, but just don’t remember the classification and releasability of the seeker technology, so I’ll revert to citing Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    According to Wikipedia, the AIM-9X has “an imaging infrared focal-plane array (FPA)”.
    In my experience, it can be used to look at thermal contrast, and track what it’s told to.
    I used the 9X operationally, but just don’t remember the classification and releasability of the seeker technology, so I’ll revert to citing Wikipedia.
    The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is (whichever is greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation. The guidance subsystem uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the missile from a position where it is to a position where it isn't, and arriving at a position where it wasn't, it now is. Consequently, the position where it is, is now the position that it wasn't, and it follows that the position that it was, is now the position that it isn't.
    In the event that the position that it is in is not the position that it wasn't, the system has acquired a variation, the variation being the difference between where the missile is, and where it wasn't. If variation is considered to be a significant factor, it too may be corrected by the GEA. However, the missile must also know where it was.
    The missile guidance computer scenario works as follows. Because a variation has modified some of the information the missile has obtained, it is not sure just where it is. However, it is sure where it isn't, within reason, and it knows where it was. It now subtracts where it should be from where it wasn't, or vice-versa, and by differentiating this from the algebraic sum of where it shouldn't be, and where it was, it is able to obtain the deviation and its variation, which is called error.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is (whichever is greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation. The guidance subsystem uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the missile from a position where it is to a position where it isn't, and arriving at a position where it wasn't, it now is. Consequently, the position where it is, is now the position that it wasn't, and it follows that the position that it was, is now the position that it isn't.
    In the event that the position that it is in is not the position that it wasn't, the system has acquired a variation, the variation being the difference between where the missile is, and where it wasn't. If variation is considered to be a significant factor, it too may be corrected by the GEA. However, the missile must also know where it was.
    The missile guidance computer scenario works as follows. Because a variation has modified some of the information the missile has obtained, it is not sure just where it is. However, it is sure where it isn't, within reason, and it knows where it was. It now subtracts where it should be from where it wasn't, or vice-versa, and by differentiating this from the algebraic sum of where it shouldn't be, and where it was, it is able to obtain the deviation and its variation, which is called error.
    My explanation was way easier to understand...

User Tag List