Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: China Projects Airpower over CONUS

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Hasn't the Navy been experimenting with frickin' lasers?
    The balloon is now over MIssouri...I wasn't aware there was a lot of ocean by that state

In any case, the Navy does have operational lasers on some ships but they are powerful enough to disrupt the sensitive electronic/optical seeker heads of incoming antiship cruise missiles, and setting fire to close range small boat threats. A giant glorified plastic bag floating along at 80,000 ft is far outside the current engagement envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    The balloon is now over MIssouri...I wasn't aware there was a lot of ocean by that state

In any case, the Navy does have operational lasers on some ships but they are powerful enough to blind the sensitive electronic/optical seeker heads of incoming antiship cruise missiles, and setting fire to close range small boat threats. A giant glorified plastic bag floating along at 80,000 ft is far outside the current engagement envelope.
    Gotcha. Evening news was talking about the possibility of shooting the thing down when (if) it gets over US territorial waters.

Aren't there a couple of 747s with frikkin lazers on their noses parked at Davis-Monthan?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Aren't there a couple of 747s with frikkin lazers on their noses parked at Davis-Monthan?

No, we couldn't afford 747s, but we do have a couple of Piper Cubs. They're very ill-tempered.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    No, we couldn't afford 747s, but we do have a couple of Piper Cubs. They're very ill-tempered.
    And it's the most powerful lazer pointer that Alibaba sells!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I imagine there was a meeting at the Pentagon that was very similar to this scene from Burn After Reading...

"Palmer, what's up?"

Well...not quite certain sir. There's something...it looks to be...well, sir...it's a balloon.

"A balloon? What the fuck is it?"

Well...sir, we're pretty sure it a balloon...it's definitely a balloon. It seems to be spying on us.

"Spying? The Russians?"

No...we don't think it's the Russians. We think it's the Chinese. Or perhaps the Portuguese. But we're pretty sure it's the Chinese.

"Well Christ...what do you think they're looking for?"

We're not sure yet, sir. They could be just sightseeing, or maybe testing our defenses.

"Well, fuck...OK then, let's just shoot it down and dump the wreckage."

Well, sir...it's up there pretty high. I mean...like "really" up there. I don't think we have anything that will go that high.

"Can't we just shoot a missile at it?"

Yeah...well...we think there might be collateral damage and civilian casualties if we try that. We thought of trying that.

"And...so?" {shrugs}

Well...uh...that might cause some...uh..."problems".

"So...what're we gonna do? We've got nukes and the most advanced planes in the world, but we can't bring down a fucking balloon? Jesus Christ."

Well, sir...uh...we're working on it.

"No biggie. For now, just keep an eye on it and see what it does. Report back to me when...when it makes sense."

Yes sir...and we'll interface with the Canadians about the balloon.

"No, no...God, no. We don't want those idiots bumbling around in this."

Last edited by kwb377; 02-03-2023 at 09:02 PM.

That’s actually pretty darn interesting, thanks…
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Flight Radar seemed to be indicating the wandering balloon was about to get the Statesboro Blues.
    Somewhere near Savannah GA. Moving at 28 knots.
    Name:  8E82BCDF-425D-46B8-BA42-4C68F15B9D73.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  78.0 KB

https://www.flightradar24.com/32.27,-82.56/8#

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I read this afternoon that the sensor assembly under the ballon is the size of 2-3 school buses in length. I could see not wanting to be responsible for dropping that much mass, plus missle debris over conus.
    I was making a joke. Should have inserted a smilie or something, I guess.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

China has already got the satisfaction of being able to violate US air space. Mission accomplished.

Even Russia was able to knock down a U-2 at 70,000 ft. in 1960.

I suggest they drop over NJ.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List