Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 115 v-crown

115 v-crown

Maybe not the best bullet or weight, but widely available at a reasonable price and of high quality in Sig factory guise.

Flagging this test (bottom) from brass fetcher noting leading performance in weight class through all barriers if anyone is interested. Not a reason to switch, but those for those looking to function test $25-30 a box of 50 sure beats $40-50 in quantity.

https://brassfetcher.com/FBI%20Ammun...0Protocol.html

I lived near the SIG Academy store in NH during the worst of the shortages, and for a period of time V-Crown was all I could get. I wouldn’t mind checking their effectiveness, it’s hard to argue with the price.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I've always had good results with Zero 147, but there was a long-ish stretch where they weren't available, and I bought lots of V-Crown bullets. I've been very happy with them. Easy to load, consistent, no difference in accuracy. Full disclosure, I have no experience with 115 (though I probably have some in the stash), but I'd have no reason to doubt them?

I've been getting lots of discount V-Crown offers lately. Has something been discontinued?

The V-Crown JHP seems to offer uncertain performance against heavy clothing barriers, so it is best avoided in favor of historically-proven designs like the HST, PDX1, Gold Dot, Ranger T, and Critical Duty.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NdRktq_-OU0
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Sorry, I was talking about bullets, and I see the OP was talking about ammo. Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    The V-Crown JHP seems to offer uncertain performance against heavy clothing barriers, so it is best avoided in favor of historically-proven designs like the HST, PDX1, Gold Dot, Ranger T, and Critical Duty.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NdRktq_-OU0
    Based on BrassFetcher's testing, the 115gr V-Crown shows quite acceptable results (with the exception of a few auto glass shots that didn't meet penetration minimums) when fired from a full-sized gun.

I use 115 V crown in all my sigs.

I don’t worry about ammo to much as long as it 1) Works in my guns and 2) Is made from a reputable manufacturer and isn’t some new gimmicky stuff.

I think some people get to into the weeds about ammo and its performance. If it meets the two requirements above then the rest is on me to put the rounds where they need to go, as quickly as I can get them there.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipulusArmorum View Post
    Based on BrassFetcher's testing, the 115gr V-Crown shows quite acceptable results (with the exception of a few auto glass shots that didn't meet penetration minimums) when fired from a full-sized gun.
    I've long been aware of the Brassfetcher testing. Still, there's a reason the V-Crown stuff is so inexpensive and remains so even now.

I prefer proven efficacy over economy when it comes to self-defense ammunition. I, and my loved ones, are worth the additional (minor) expense.

Do as you please.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    I've long been aware of the Brassfetcher testing. Still, there's a reason the V-Crown stuff is so inexpensive and remains so even now.
    It's possible that the 115gr V-Crown may expand more reliably than the 124gr bullet

Both bullet weights perform inconsistently in cloth covered Clear Ballistics gelatin.

Despite the well known problems with clear gel, I think we can agree that the V-Crown is not demonstrating the robust expansion in testing that we expect of modern hollow-points.
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 02-05-2023 at 05:09 PM.

User Tag List