Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Platypus - a 1911 that takes G17 magazines

Platypus - a 1911 that takes G17 magazines

Now this is interesting. It looks like it has a standard 1911 grip angle, so I have to wonder about feed reliability.

https://www.stealtharms.net/p/platypus
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Now this is interesting. It looks like it has a standard 1911 grip angle, so I have to wonder about feed reliability.

https://www.stealtharms.net/p/platypus
    Isn’t the difference in the grip angle only 4 degrees? Is it possible that the grip angle matches a Glock, but does not appear that much different from a 1911?

I can see it is raked back a hair more than a standard 1911. I can appreciate the fact Glock mags are super reliable, but it is also the Glock biggest weakness as it prevents them from slimming up their design because of the polymer sleeve and the width.

At least they didn't keep the Glock hump. The hump is actually the biggest issue with the Glock grip, not the grip angle. The hump causes the backstrap and front strap to be out of alignment, and that is the root cause of the Glock grip complaint.

When I reduce the grip, specifically the backstrap, it brings the front and back into closer alignment and makes the grip feel more normal.

This is what Shadow System, Polymer 80 and several of the other companies that produce Glock clones are doing.

From my understanding and what a few of my sources have told me is this is one of the things that will be addressed on the Gen 6 models. There are a few other revisions that are supposed to be done as well. We will have to wait and see if they do actually do it. FWIW, these revisions if true, will not effect holster fitment, and they will still be able to use current magazines and all aftermarket products. The revisions are addressing ergonomics in the Glock grip and not design changes.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

They get a B+ from me based on the name alone. Make it run good and that’ll bump up to at least an A-

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    They get a B+ from me based on the name alone. Make it run good and that’ll bump up to at least an A-
    True that. I'm grateful it's not the Operator As Fuck Tango Smoker. With a CAGRUSOC signature edition.

I'd have a hard time on the jury convicting a guy, who was demonstrably sober and "killed someone with a Platypus".

I bet these sell well in Florida. Because Florida-man.

Site Supporter
    Haha Smith and Wesson are punching their pillows right now

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'd have a hard time on the jury convicting a guy, who was demonstrably sober and "killed someone with a Platypus".

I bet these sell well in Florida. Because Florida-man.
    Does Florida-man even know what a Platyus is? I'll wait for the Capybara.

Looking at the photos, I agree that it's a Glock grip angle. I also think it looks like they did a good job taking advantage of aluminum vs. polymer grip construction to slim it down. It doesn't look even as chunky as a traditional 2011 grip, and honestly looks just fine to me, aside from the one quibble of that back and bottom part of the grip looking a bit sharp for carry.

I'd love to see one for G19 mags and with some more thought given to shaping that rear of the grip. Anyone know anything about the company, specifically their reputation for making things that work?

I have to say… somewhat trepidatiously… if the rest of the gun is a decent 1911 iteration, and runs… I could see this in my future, because, tubs o’ mags.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List