Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pushing the Nose Bone into the Brain

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The key word is deeply.

The ear canal is a different story from the nose for sure. The inner ear sits slightly in front of the cerebellum and immediately lateral to the brain stem. An icepick jabbed through the ear canal, middle ear, inner ear, and through the relatively thin bone, could hit the brain stem and potentially sever it - end result is a Stab, flop, DOA.
    It's possible. But you probably need a hammer for that last little bit. The occipital bone is pretty thick right at the end between the inner ear and the brainstem. And you'll be so deep in the canal that a sharp turn upwards where the petrous bone is thinner isn't going to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post
    It's possible. But you probably need a hammer for that last little bit. The occipital bone is pretty thick right at the end between the inner ear and the brainstem. And you'll be so deep in the canal that a sharp turn upwards where the petrous bone is thinner isn't going to work well.
    I feel like we can put a few strain gauges on this and find out, for science of course. - I volunteer my skull...after I'm dead.

Honestly though what gives me the shudders is the thought of a pick slamming through the inner ear. That could potentially be like the ultimate form of instantaneous motion sickness/vertigo/nausea - given I've had motion sickness bad enough to wish for death. I'd probably hand you the hammer to finish me off at that point...

Site Supporter
    I feel like we can put a few strain gauges on this and find out, for science of course. - I volunteer my skull...after I'm dead.

Don't be silly. It's research! I have an endless supply and I don't have an IRB.

(For any onlookers, IRB is an institutional review board. They are the ones you have to convince that your research is meaningful and worthwhile so they will allow you to perform it. Very much designed to protect the institution from negative backlash. Usually staffed with...jerks.)

(Also for any employers, past, present, and future; forensic research is a weird thing. If we're not disfiguring or disrespecting the body, disclosing who our subjects are, or delaying release to the family, we have a little more free reign. IRB's don't care if the decedent is dead.)

(Additionally, for the humor impaired, this is mostly a joke. Just making sure that is explicitly stated. Otherwise somebody who enjoys slamming their genitals in a door will take this seriously.)

Honestly though what gives me the shudders is the thought of a pick slamming through the inner ear. That could potentially be like the ultimate form of instantaneous motion sickness/vertigo/nausea - given I've had motion sickness bad enough to wish for death. I'd probably hand you the hammer to finish me off at that point...
    Yeah. That's going to leave a mark.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    So I learned 3 things today.

What a baculum is, and reading this article in Scientific American, what "intromission" is...also that more than 3 minutes of copulation is considered "prolonged intromission"
    I have sent that article to every woman I have ever known.
    Sciences, bitches!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...no-penis-bone/
    That article is actually written in near-english... some in that field are really dense jargon. Once in a graduate systematics class, three PhD's from AMNH completely lost everyone else in the room.

And... at scientific conferences, I've seen phylogeneticists get worked up like gun guys having caliber wars on certain other forums. One guy literally stood on a chair and shook his fist at his colleagues/competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    That article is actually written in near-english... some in that field are really dense jargon. Once in a graduate systematics class, three PhD's from AMNH completely lost everyone else in the room.

And... at scientific conferences, I've seen phylogeneticists get worked up like gun guys having caliber wars on certain other forums. One guy literally stood on a chair and shook his fist at his colleagues/competitors.
    Five will get you ten I know everyone of those three PhDs. Either personally (if they graduated in the last 15 years) or via reputation (if prior to that). I stopped going to the meetings where the phylogeneticists are common. I grew tired of the pedantry.

Plus, I can only watch so many talks about the latest Bayesian Inferential Methods with hyper-priors before my eyes glaze over (one...I can only watch one of those talks at a time).

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    Something I read recently that is somewhat related:

Seriousness of open-handed attacks.

I thought this quote was interesting:

"Dr. Margulies: I do not think that people understand the dangers of the open hand. According to national statistics from 2021, more people died from hands and feet – and that includes boots, of course – than from all the rifles combined.
    The missing context is the vast majority of those victims are shaken babies or otherwise abused small children.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Here is something From Bruce Tegner's book "Self-Defense: Nerve Centers & Pressure Points for Karate, Jujitsu and Atemi-Waza." where Bruce Tegner explains that it is not possible to drive the nose into the brain because the nose is made up of cartilage and weak bones that will crush before it penetrates the heavier skull bones.

Bruce Tegner was a prolific martial arts instructor and writer who was born in 1929 and died in 1985. His parents were martial arts instructors and his first Black Belt Was in Judo. He went on to win the California state championship in 1950. He studied a variety of martial arts and combined the best parts of Judo, Karate, Jiu Jitsu to create an integrated system that he was teaching as early as the late 1950s. He put them in a practical system which emphasized low kicks and achievable strikes. He choreographed a number of notable movie fighting scene including Spencer Tracy in Bad Day At Black Rock and the fight scene in The Manchurian Candidate. I know him best as a writer of martial arts books on practical self defense and various martial arts from when I was a kid. In his books and his schools he removed the mysticism of martial arts and made them more accessible. Here is a link to more detailed info on Bruce Tegner https://www.usadojo.com/bruce-tegner-before-his-time/, and below is his information on why the nose cannot be driven into the brain:

Name:  under the nose - Copy.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  79.1 KB
    Last edited by Ed L; 02-07-2023 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The missing context is the vast majority of those victims are shaken babies or otherwise abused small children.
    That would seem to be crucial details...
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    And if they are adults, they were struck or shoved and lost their balance in a parking lot (usually outside a bar) and struck their head on the pavement.

Site Supporter
    The nephew of Chicago's mayor some while ago killed a kid in a bar fight. Punched him in the head, knocked him out and he fell and hit his head on the concrete.

Of course he was only sentenced to 60 days in prison. It was Chicago, after all.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

User Tag List