Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pushing the Nose Bone into the Brain

Pushing the Nose Bone into the Brain

We've all probably heard at one time or another that if a person's nose is struck just right, with empty hands, it can push the bone "up into the brain" and kill them.

My take is that this is complete baloney. Doesn't happen.

What do the experts say? Can anyone point to a verifiable case of this actually occurring?

I know of none.

Not on total point, but an insured’s employee died close to this way. He was driving at night in far northern WI and hit (IIRC) a moose. Apparently he was picking his nose when it happened…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    We've all probably heard at one time or another that if a person's nose is struck just right, with empty hands, it can push the bone "up into the brain" and kill them.

My take is that this is complete baloney. Doesn't happen.

What do the experts say? Can anyone point to a verifiable case of this actually occurring?

I know of none.
    Look up "Mike Perry nose break"

If it was gonna kill anyone, Perry would be ded.

It's a bunch of baloney.

That said...really bad head trauma can kill you.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I'll put on my vertebrate anatomist hat for a moment:

So, if you look at cranial osteology (bone anatomy), the two thinnest parts of the skulls are at the temples and through the ethmoid bone. The ethmoid bone sits behind and slightly above nasal concha ('nose bones'). In theory it might be possible to shove a nasal concha through an ethmoid and into the brain. There are two serious problems to this.

The first is that nasal concha are the thinnest, most fragile bones in the body. Definitely thinner and less dense than the ethmoid. So, shoving them through the ethmoid would be nearly impossible. It could happen, but you have much better odds of hitting the lottery.

Second, the areas of the brain that sit above the ethmoid are mainly the pituitary region and the frontal lobes. Both of which are critical for normal human function, like growth, sleep, decision making, etc. But we know from decades and decades or performing frontal lobectomies that humans can continue to live with significant portions of the frontal lobe damaged or removed. So, even if you did manage to succeed in shoving a nasal concha through the ethmoid into the brain, the chances of hitting something 'fight ending' from a physiological perspective are pretty low. Much more likely than instantaneous fight stoppage is is hitting a critical nerve or artery that causes other significant damage eventually resulting in a physiological stop...eventually. That's predicated on shoving something through the ethmoid.

You'd do a better job of attacking the head with strikes, to induce rotational inertia that causes a knockout or otherwise try to execute a choke.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

BIC pen, pencil, chopstick, nail file, icepick jammed forcefully and deeply into the eye socket or ear canal is well established tradeecraft.

A lot of TMA targeting stuff is based on the Chinese complete lack of knowledge of the human anatomy, and believing in midichlorians.
    Another good one was chopping the clavicle and driving it into the lung.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I might know that guy...
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

On the other hand, the Inuits, among others, had some degree of 17th-c. success with driving the dick bone into the brain…

Attached Images Attached Images   
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    On the other hand, the Inuits, among others, had some degree of 17th-c. success with driving the dick bone into the brain…

The dick bone drives the brain. Like a drunken monkey. In an F22 with the afterburner jammed on.
    Actually, the dick bone is the brain for about...50-60 years or so.

User Tag List