Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Explain Like I'm 5: Weaver/Modern Technique vs. Isosceles

[Morpheus voice] "What if I told you that it's all the same." [/Morpheus]

...maybe I just need to not worry about it ('cause I'll never be good enough that it matters).
    Last edited by Guerrero; 02-01-2023 at 02:09 PM.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    "THERE'S NO TIME!!!!!!!"

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Nope... I just can't let this go. There's got to be something different in the grip: the push/pull of the Weaver/Modern vs. ??? in the Iso.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Nope... I just can't let this go. There's got to be something different in the grip: the push/pull of the Weaver/Modern vs. ??? in the Iso.
    My understanding is the Weaver can employ a push-pull, or just a "cup and saucer" like Jack Bauer used. Sometimes things (e.g. barricade, wall) get in the way and we can't employ a perfect Isosceles. But even when that happens, I never push-pull. I just grip the gun and try to have as good a stance as the position allows. Often that will produce a "non-ideal" sight path during recoil.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My understanding is the Weaver can employ a push-pull, or just a "cup and saucer" like Jack Bauer used. Sometimes things (e.g. barricade, wall) get in the way and we can't employ a perfect Isosceles. But even when that happens, I never push-pull. I just grip the gun and try to have as good a stance as the position allows. Often that will produce a "non-ideal" sight path during recoil.
    Maybe this needs to be a side discussion, but when you say, "I just grip the gun" (vs. a push/pull) do you literally mean you are just trying to tighten the fingers (of both hands?) *harder* rather then pressing the shooting hand into the support hand (to facilitate the tightening of the grip)?

Explain Like I'm 5: Weaver/Modern Technique vs. Isosceles

Maybe this needs to be a side discussion, but when you say, "I just grip the gun" (vs. a push/pull) do you literally mean you are just trying to tighten the fingers (of both hands?) *harder* rather then pressing the shooting hand into the support hand (to facilitate the tightening of the grip)?
    Yep. I grip “hard” with my support hand and “medium” with my firing hand. Edit: if the gun isn’t moving inside your grip, and your hands aren’t coming apart, you don’t need to grip any harder.

I also pay attention to locking my wrists. That is super important.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

"No thought was given to foot position, recoil control or pushing with one hand and pulling with the other," Weaver wrote. "I found out all kinds of things about myself that I didn't know until I read them in gun magazines. I had to go out and fire a few rounds to see if I really did push the right and pull the left arm--sure enough!"

--Jack Weaver

link
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

... rather then pressing the shooting hand into the support hand (to facilitate the tightening of the grip)?
    What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    What does that mean?
    Pep in the house!!!!

I meant an inarticulate way of explaining push/pull in a handgun (or how I understand it works).

There are the popular definitions of these distinctions and the more expert take on these differences.

For the majority of the public, the stances are a matter of body position. The Weaver as taught in LE circles typically involves a more bladed stance and the support elbow is dropped. Classic Isosceles involves the reaction of a isosceles triangle with the arms. The feet on "on-line" with the base of the triangle. Modern Isosceles is generally the arms in an equal triangle with the strong side foot biased back slightly.

Ultimately, these are discussions about how to handle recoil. In a true Weaver, isometric tension is applied to the gun to fight the recoil and minimize it. Especially in Modern Isosceles, the recoil isn't "fought" and the emphasis is on having the gun return to the same position consistently - you just let recoil happen and rely on grip to have it return consistently.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List