Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Explain Like I'm 5: Weaver/Modern Technique vs. Isosceles

Explain Like I'm 5: Weaver/Modern Technique vs. Isosceles

Even though I've never met or trained with DB, I'm a fan. As a result, I was watching @jlw and DB discuss the "Spread of the Modern Technique". In that video, DB was discussing Weaver/Modern vs. Isosceles, and I thought I was following along (thought that I knew the difference), then DB said some stuff that totally threw me, and now I don't get it. Specifically, (if I understood/heard it correctly) the Weaver/Modern "isometric/muscle" pressure vs. the Iso "skeletal pressure".

Help.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Even though I've never met or trained with DB, I'm a fan. As a result, I was watching @jlw and DB discuss the "Spread of the Modern Technique". In that video, DB was discussing Weaver/Modern vs. Isosceles, and I thought I was following along (thought that I knew the difference), then DB said some stuff that totally threw me, and now I don't get it. Specifically, (if I understood/heard it correctly) the Weaver/Modern "isometric/muscle" pressure vs. the Iso "skeletal pressure".

Help.
    Looking forward to the discussion and to learn from others. I'm just a casual shooter, but I interpret Weaver/Modern "isometric/muscle" pressure as the push/pull method of gripping a pistol (push with shooting hand and pull with support hand and bladed stance). Then Iso "skeletal pressure" is rotating your shoulders/elbows down so natural tension in the body/arms clamps the pistol side-to-side with a squared stance.

Help.
    Weaver defined as isometric tension is a Cooper/Plahn definition of Weaver (not a Weaver definition of Weaver). It's pushing with the strong arm while pulling with the support arm as a means of recoil control.

Isosceles relies on the skeletal structure of the body for recoil control rather than muscular tension.

Quite frankly, I think an overemphasis on recoil control actually creates more problems than it fixes, but that is a different conversation.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    ...Iso "skeletal pressure" is rotating your shoulders/elbows down so natural tension in the body/arms clamps the pistol side-to-side with a squared stance.
    This isn't a requirement of the modern Iso, and most high-level shooters do not rotate shoulders or elbows to "clamp" the grip. As @jlw writes below,

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Isosceles relies on the skeletal structure of the body for recoil control rather than muscular tension.
    ...and all that's required is using your hands to grip the gun so it doesn't move around in the grip.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Ok, how does that work?
    ― Ennius

Ok, how does that work?
    Grip the gun tightly enough that its not rotating in your hands. Get your torso behind the gun.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Thanks, 'frack, I watched them all. I love you, man

...but now I'm even *more* confused.

I mean... there's gotta be a difference, otherwise the two techniques wouldn't have different names and people distinguishing between them.
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    To me the most obvious difference has been in the arms, in weaver they're asymmetrical as your weak arm is usually bent.

Isosceles, your arms create an isosceles triangle with your chest as the base of the triangle. The arms are symmetrical, more straight than bent.

Name:  UTTK7YMF7FD4V624XZJFYHFV4M.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  55.3 KB

User Tag List