Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Good Modern Stainless 4-inch K-Frame Analog?

The Lack of Modern 4-inch K-Frame-sized Options Today?

A friend has been search for a new-production revolver, and all of this made me think about the revolvers available on the market today. So, I wondered whether there are any decent (and attractive looking) stainless 4-inch K-Frame analogs today. The following is what I've found:

• For S&W, there's the issue of terrible quality control, as @Stephanie-B would attest to, and the fact they got rid of the gas ring on new Model 66s which would cause the cylinder to bind up faster. The S&W 64 would be an option if they had not discontinued it. This is not to mention the ugly lock.

• For Kimber, their 4-inch revolvers lack full length ejector rods and the adjustable sights have vertical play to them. The K6s also lacks the good aftermarket support that S&Ws enjoy in grips and speedloaders. Again, since this is Kimber, a lack of QC is a given. Although, I've heard that the K6s has decent QC for a Kimber. (However, for me personally, I think they are ugly.)

• Taurus revolvers have a bad enough reputation that gun stores near me don't stock them. There's also an issue of finding good gunsmiths willing to work on them again due to their reputation. Maybe the new Rossi revolvers would change this, but I haven't seen any available at my local gun stores.

• The Colt King Cobra Target seems tempting, but there is the ugly reshaped trigger guard, the snubnose-length ejector rod with the crude-looking knurling, and the unattractive MIM ejector pin mark visable on the trigger. (If S&W avoided having the ejector pin mark visable, why can't Colt?) There is also the issue of the terrible adjustable sights, but the Python Wilson Combat sights might be compatiable. Still, I prefer the more robust trigger rebound on S&Ws. Additionally, I have heard about QC issues with some Colts.

• Rugers are generally way too heavy with exception to the lighter GP100 Match Champion, but Ruger just had to make it look ugly by laser-engraving "Match Champion" on it in italics, complete with a registered trademark symbol. Also, you would think that Ruger, after releasing a 7-shot GP100, would've came out with a 6-shot SP101 by now.

• The Korth Combats and Manurhin MR73s are too expensive, and I wouldn't want to shoot them often since due to the risk of scratching the finish. There are also not avalible in stainless. There was the MR88, but it looks like Manurhin has either stopped producing or importing them ever since 2019.

I apologize for all the whinning, but you would think that with all of the technology we have today it would be quite easy to find a good and attractive-looking stainless 4-inch K-Frame sized gun in production today, once a staple in law enforcement. Maybe this would change in the future?
    Last edited by Wooosh; 02-01-2023 at 01:39 AM.

Too many good used K frames in the market for anybody to be inspired to clone a new one is what I think the reason is. The revolver market is small and limited. I am surprised Colt came back to it, although I am glad they did.

Despite quality control which tends to get overblown on line the modern k frame is still the best k frame.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    The thing that keeps me from buying a new Smith & Wesson for defensive use is that darn lock. I don’t trust them on a life saving tool and I don’t want to add “disabled a safety device” to my woes in court if I end up having to use the revolver.

Edit to add that I do appreciate the number of used S&W’s on the market but I personally do like the idea of having an in production gun with factory support so I understand where the OP is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    The thing that keeps me from buying a new Smith & Wesson for defensive use is that darn lock. I don’t trust them on a life saving tool and I don’t want to add “disabled a safety device” to my woes in court if I end up having to use the revolver.

Edit to add that I do appreciate the number of used S&W’s on the market but I personally do like the idea of having an in production gun with factory support so I understand where the OP is coming from.
    I think the lock is greatly overblown as well, both the possibility of it accidentally engaging, and the potential liability of disabling it.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Despite quality control which tends to get overblown on line the modern k frame is still the best k frame.
    That may be, but allow a counter argument. If one doesn't plan on shooting magnum loads, a classic K-frame (anything since the Second World War) is pretty sweet.

As for the current production guns, based on a sample size of two, I'd be hesitant to drop nearly four bills on one.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That may be, but allow a counter argument. If one doesn't plan on shooting magnum loads, a classic K-frame (anything since the Second World War) is pretty sweet.

As for the current production guns, based on a sample size of two, I'd be hesitant to drop nearly four bills on one.
    I agree
    Name:  IMG_20211227_174633~2.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  24.8 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Wooosh View Post
    [*]Taurus revolvers have a bad enough reputation that gun stores near me don't stock them. There's also an issue of finding good gunsmiths willing to work on them again due to their reputation. Maybe the new Rossi revolvers would change this, but I haven't seen any available at my local gun stores.
    Currently our only guns that fit the "k-frame" window are the Model 82 38 Special and the Model 65 in 357 Mag. Only the 65 is available in stainless, and unfortunately is saddled with a shallow gutter rear sight and a fixed front sight that can't be replaced. My personal Model 82 is at 1937 rounds, which isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but has experienced no issues whatsoever. That being said, the gun isn't pretty by any means, it's just a working class gun.

The new Rossi revolvers are going to be significantly more upscale in terms of fit and finish; I've got a couple thousand rounds on the 6 inch and the 3 inch platforms. For a utility gun, I'd hold out for the 4 inch which should be ready mid-year, because then we'll also have some holster options and more grips available.

@jetfire, I get that it may not be part of your time sheet but I’m very interested in the new Rossi lineup.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Other than specialty use No market for a 35 ounce 6 shot blaster that is very large

Not really sure what OP is asking as K frames are available new and used?

User Tag List