Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: PSTG podcast interview of Tier1 guy about pistol/rifle training

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    To go along with that article, here is a discussion with Justin Dyal about the stages of instructors:

Podcast link:

https://anchor.fm/lee-weems/episodes...n-Dyal-e1othgl
    Thanks, that is a damn good conversation with Justin. He's such a deep thinker, and a good communicator too. I'd really like to take a class with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    What we did for our student officers isn;t the way, it's just a way.
    That sounds pretty comprehensive, not like what is currently the standard here in Ohio.

ETA: Contemplating more on the notion of Slow Down And Get Your Hits, probably makes sense if that means from 0.2 to 0.3, maybe not so much if that means 1.0 to 5.0
    Last edited by mmc45414; 02-09-2023 at 02:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Maybe some institutional training is fast food, but not all or maybe even the majority. I’m impressed with most of the LE firearms and DT instructors I know.
    I am sure you don't know as many as I do...

Many of the things we are talking about on this forum are light years beyond the institutional instructors I know/have known, and the legacy/instatutional training I have recieved, continue to recieve, and am expected/required to teach... I have always been about pushing the envelope in training. My mentor is a sponsored USPSA 3-Gun GM on a commercial, nationally known shooting team, and a former SWAT, Gang Unit, Street Crimes Unit, and Canine Unit supervisor.. if I could polish boots worth a shit I would do his just for regular training. I try to push my cops until the wheels fall off, and they actually have a moment of self analysis. TLG's dueling tree drill was humiliating experience for me. As was his Dot Torture at thee yards for PT hat pin, amd my Basic P-T training claasification based on the FAST Drill.. I was second worst in my class, just ahead of the LGS counter chick in the class, despite me being a fiver year POST Fireams Instructor at the time. .My recent (last two years or so) trainees were light years ahead of me in Sims, RBT, and DT. And yet getting them to apply that training...

Learning, knowing, and being able to apply are DRASTICALLY different things...

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 02-26-2023 at 07:08 AM.

User Tag List