Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Candiru vs Izula for belt wrap sheath carry?

  1. #1

    Candiru vs Izula for belt wrap sheath carry?

    I'm 5'8" and I've been carrying a candiru for a bit in a belt wrap sheath. It conceals amazingly. It almost feels like it isn't there. I get a three-finger grip on it. I've been looking at the izula but am hesitant if it doesn't conceal as well. Does it feel like it's a lot bigger?

  2. #2
    Site Supporter vaspence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Richmond VA
    BM Flyway (Armatus Architect sheath)
    Izula in DSG
    Candiru in DSG

    Izula & Candiru second pic

    Name:  EE4F5354-6B0E-45EA-AB77-34E219FBEFFD.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  95.3 KB

    Name:  27E69D58-7047-40D8-B0EF-C46D95913ADB.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  82.7 KB

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    BM Flyway (Armatus Architect sheath)
    Izula in DSG
    Candiru in DSG

    Izula & Candiru second pic

    Name:  EE4F5354-6B0E-45EA-AB77-34E219FBEFFD.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  95.3 KB

    Name:  27E69D58-7047-40D8-B0EF-C46D95913ADB.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  82.7 KB
    Thank you!

    Izula looks way bigger.

  4. #4
    I have both in the DSG sheaths like vaspence pictured above. For me (5'11" but with a 30" waist), the Izula was too long and printed no matter how I tried to hide it. The Candiru was my poor mans solution for a midline fixed blade when I lived in a state that allowed carry of a fixed blade and I think it worked quite well in that role (with TKC scales btw).

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercruise View Post
    For me (5'11" but with a 30" waist), the Izula was too long and printed no matter how I tried to hide it.
    Dude, have a sandwich.

    Or two.


    Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

  6. #6
    Space Monkey Mafia Guerrero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Just as a point of comparison:

    Candiru: 5.13" overall length
    Shivworks Clinch Pick: 5.5" overall length
    Izula: 6.25" overall length

    I wear a Clinch Pick every day, and I have worn an Izula from time to time. The Izula is a bit bigger, but I found it doable. I tried a couple times to make the Candiru work, but it just seemed too small for me.



    @okie john if I'm 5'11" and 32" waist, do I also need a sandwich?

    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

  7. #7
    Site Supporter Elwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Midwest
    I carry an Izula either vertical (modded factory sheath with a DCC) or horizontal (Dark Star) whenever I'm not carrying a second spare mag instead (depends on what I'm doing and what I'm wearing and carrying as to which option gets the nod). Horizontal it does take some work to hide, maybe a bit more than the CP I used to have, though the grip being flatter helps in some ways while being longer hurts in others.

    I've found it helps to be flexible where you position it. If it's coexisting with a spare mag carried AIWB, I try to use the bulge that mag creates in the belt as a plane to hide the knife on, meaning it gets pushed to the left (it's set up primarily for a left hand draw) and becomes more of a left-hand-only option. Carrying a revolver and therefore not having a spare mag in that location, it moves closer to the gun to take advantage of that bulge in the beltline, which means its more accessible to my right hand for a reverse grip. On rare occasions where I have two spare mags and the knife, its basically all the way over at 9:00.

  8. #8
    Member gato naranja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLock View Post
    I'm 5'8" and I've been carrying a candiru for a bit in a belt wrap sheath. It conceals amazingly. It almost feels like it isn't there. I get a three-finger grip on it. I've been looking at the izula but am hesitant if it doesn't conceal as well. Does it feel like it's a lot bigger?
    It's all relative. I thought the Izula was pretty small back in the day, and the Izula II was too big. But yeah, the Izula is noticeably bigger than the Candiru, though not absurdly so.

    I have tried to like the Candirus, but whenever I actually have to use one, I wish I had one of my Izulas. I find myself constantly changing my grip seeking a sweet spot that I never manage to get, and the blade always seems to be just a hair too short. YMMV.

    My minimalist day backpack is back to having an Izula more because there is no stainless Candiru than because I can't deal with the inherent limitations and quirks of the little thing.
    gn

    "On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

  9. #9
    Space Monkey Mafia Guerrero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    It's all relative. I thought the Izula was pretty small back in the day, and the Izula II was too big. But yeah, the Izula is noticeably bigger than the Candiru, though not absurdly so.

    I have tried to like the Candirus, but whenever I actually have to use one, I wish I had one of my Izulas. I find myself constantly changing my grip seeking a sweet spot that I never manage to get, and the blade always seems to be just a hair too short. YMMV.

    My minimalist day backpack is back to having an Izula more because there is no stainless Candiru than because I can't deal with the inherent limitations and quirks of the little thing.
    Tried to like Candiru? Check
    Wish I had and Izula at the time? Check
    "Adventure bag" currently rocks an Izula? Check
    (Likes the PX4CC? Check)

    Dude, we can totally hang out.
    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercruise View Post
    I have both in the DSG sheaths like vaspence pictured above. For me (5'11" but with a 30" waist), the Izula was too long and printed no matter how I tried to hide it. The Candiru was my poor mans solution for a midline fixed blade when I lived in a state that allowed carry of a fixed blade and I think it worked quite well in that role (with TKC scales btw).
    Were the TKC scales a big improvement over factory candiru scales?

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •