Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member looking for opinions on Sightron SRS-2

New Member looking for opinions on Sightron SRS-2

Just joined the group. After looking for pistol optics forum ran across this site. I am interested in any help or opinions on the Sightron SRS 2 red dot sight. I am relatively new to hand gun optics. The only handgun I presently have with a reflez sight is a .22 Browning Buckmark. I recently purchased a Stoeger STR9 optics ready 9mm. My eyesight is to the point I need some help beyond metallic sights. I don't want to spend a fortune on a red dot at this point, but I found a really low price on the SRS and am thinking about buying it for the Stoeger to see what improvement I see using optics before I spend a lot of money on higher end red dots i.e EOTech, Holosun, for my other pistols, Sig, Kimber Browning HP, etc. Just wondered if anyone has experience with it and opinions.
    Thanks for any help.

I doubt you're going to find anybody here with experience with it. I've never even heard of it.

I think you will benefit from stretching your funds to purchase a Holosun 407K or 407C. The 407C is RMR footprint and the 407K is based on the RMSc footprint. The 407C will have a bigger window and 2 MOA dot. The 407K will be a little smaller and 6 MOA. The 407K is a little cheaper.

I have trouble encouraging somebody to "take a chance" on a cheap, unproven optic. At this point, everybody knows who the players in the industry are. This is a life-saving tool for most people and choosing a very cheap optic that has no name recognition seems extremely risky. You will also find that the secondary market will be much better for a Holosun or other well-recognized brand optic if you decide it's not for you and you can't return it. There are plenty of threads where people get 75% or so of retail (or more) on a Holosun, but I've NEVER seen a used off-brand optic move.

New Member looking for opinions on Sightron SRS-2

A couple years back I bought an SRS-2 because it was on sale. It was like $150 vs like $225 for a Burris Fastfire III. Normally, they’re closer in price. Like you, I couldn't find any real reviews of it.

I was not impressed. The window has a distinct blue tint (for better reflection of the dot on the lens), more so than others. It uses a C-more footprint, which is a PITA. I tried mounting it to a G34 MOS, but the base is a little too long to fit flush with the MOS cut.

It does come with a pic mount, so thats a plus. it would work great on a .22 pistol with a pic rail on top. Trying to mount it to a pistol with an optics cut seems iffy.

In another thread I was gently chided that the Fastfire is a hobby level optic. I don't disagree with this, but most of my shooting is hobby level. I've had great luck with mine, with the exception of a recent thread where I was in lighting conditions that made it difficult to use. I think its worth the extra $$ to step up to that level.

For serious use, I go with Aimpoint. But I think that’s outside of the discussion here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    I doubt you're going to find anybody here with experience with it. I've never even heard of it.

I think you will benefit from stretching your funds to purchase a Holosun 407K or 407C. The 407C is RMR footprint and the 407K is based on the RMSc footprint. The 407C will have a bigger window and 2 MOA dot. The 407K will be a little smaller and 6 MOA. The 407K is a little cheaper.

I have trouble encouraging somebody to "take a chance" on a cheap, unproven optic. At this point, everybody knows who the players in the industry are. This is a life-saving tool for most people and choosing a very cheap optic that has no name recognition seems extremely risky. You will also find that the secondary market will be much better for a Holosun or other well-recognized brand optic if you decide it's not for you and you can't return it. There are plenty of threads where people get 75% or so of retail (or more) on a Holosun, but I've NEVER seen a used off-brand optic move.
    I was just answering a similar question for a guy I know. Because of the cost of ammo these days, even for a range toy a hobby-grade red dot doesn't make sense. Most RDS on the market cannot hold up to being battered on the slide of a 9mm handgun. When it fails (note the use of when not if), it may be in a way that uses up a lot of ammo, such as a drifting zero that makes you question your skill for several hundred rounds before figuring out that it's the RDS.

I'm not sure everyone knows who the industry players are at this point. There are some well-known optic companies are selling hobby-grade pistol optics, so it's easy to think you're buying quality when it's just a name printed on a cheapass optic.

Here's my list:

Trijicon
    Holosun (any new model)
    Leupold Deltapoint Pro 2nd gen only)
    Aimpoint Acro
    Sig (only a few of their RDSs are truly good to go, and I'm not sure which--so maybe someone who follows can chime in)
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Holosun 407c can be found for $250ish.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Concur re stretching to buy a Holosun 407, particularly if the optic ends up on anything bigger than a .22.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I was just answering a similar question for a guy I know. Because of the cost of ammo these days, even for a range toy a hobby-grade red dot doesn't make sense. Most RDS on the market cannot hold up to being battered on the slide of a 9mm handgun. When it fails (note the use of when not if), it may be in a way that uses up a lot of ammo, such as a drifting zero that makes you question your skill for several hundred rounds before figuring out that it's the RDS.

I'm not sure everyone knows who the industry players are at this point. There are some well-known optic companies are selling hobby-grade pistol optics, so it's easy to think you're buying quality when it's just a name printed on a cheapass optic.

Here's my list:

Trijicon
    Holosun (any new model)
    Aimpoint Acro
    Sig (only a few of their RDSs are truly good to go, and I'm not sure which--so maybe someone who follows can chime in)
    I would include the Swampfox Liberty/Justice/Sentinel/Kraken on this list, although practically I see no reason to choose them over Holosun at this point. I actually see no reason to choose anything over Holosun unless restricted by LE Agency policy or you just have to flex that you are running Aimpoint or Trijicon. The Ameriglo RDS is an interesting choice if you hate the fact that Holosun is made in China as it's made in the Philippines, though it hasn't been given the Sage Dynamics treatment yet.

I have the SRO, Holosun 407, Romeo 0, and my newest is the Ameriglo Haven. I know of at least a 1/2 dozen in use...no problems and a lot of dot for the money. For better or worse, owned by Trijicon now. Aluminum housing, glass window, shake awake, 5moa dot and mine was on sale at Midway, $214.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Here's my list:

Trijicon
    Holosun (any new model)
    Aimpoint Acro
    How can you tell the difference between a Leupold DPP gen 1 and gen 2? What are the specific issues that make the Leupold DPP gen 1 unsatisfactory? As mentioned in another thread, I have a line on a cheap one, and am probably going to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    How can you tell the difference between a Leupold DPP gen 1 and gen 2?
    Isn’t the circuit board green or something? @SoCalDep?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List