Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steiner Prism Scopes

Steiner Prism Scopes

Has anyone here used the Steiner T-series prism scopes? I'm looking at putting one on my AUG as a less-expensive alternative to an ACOG. Eurooptic has the 3x and 4x for $419-$429, which puts them above the Primary Arms prisms but well below any of the ACOGs.

Subbed for info as well!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Here’s some discussion - a poster claims the S prefix models are superior to the T prefix ones EuroOptic lists.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...copes.7144901/
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I figured I would find out for myself and ordered a T332 from Eurooptic. It arrived today and I bolted it on to the AUG:

Although it looks big and awkward, it feels smaller in use and is well balanced on the AUG. Eye relief and eye box are good, about the same as the TA-110 ACOG I used to have. The overall picture through the scope reminds me a lot of the TA-110; the glass is very clear with no fisheye effect or obvious chromatic aberrations--exactly what I'd expect from Steiner.

The sight feels very robust and the mount is solid. Reticle is finer than I would like but I'm a fan of coarse reticles. The central dot is so fine that it basically blends into the vertical and horizontal bars unless I'm specifically focusing on it. That isn't necessarily a bad thing because it makes the reticle look like a large cross-hair, which I wish it was. I'd love to have one of these scopes with the old Leupold "heavy duplex" reticle. Illumination at its highest is very bright with no blooming, but the illumination knob does not have "off" positions between illumination levels so you have to dial from zero each time. Annoying and anachronistic but I'll live with it. Adjustments are positive and being able to focus the rear objective is nice.

So far I'm liking it. Range report forthcoming.

For what it's worth, I have an older M-series scope. I could give an amateurs opinton on it if anyone cares. (These have been discontinued for a good while now.)
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I've got a 4x inbound. I'm curious how the reticle will work for closer targets, but an offset RDS is always an option. Originally I was thinking it would be going on a 20" AR, but yesterday I started thinking perhaps it's a good fit for the AUG or TAVOR SAR. I'll have to play around with it a little I guess.

I’m interested in seeing how it works out for you. I have a “better” AR (LaRue) that currently wears a PA 3x prism, I wouldn’t mind finding a more durable prism alternative. I just can’t get on the ACOG train due to cost and illumination life.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I went ahead, and mounted it up to my 20" A4ish AR. I was thinking about an 4X ACOG for this rifle, like the one that was issued, butI can't justify the price for an occasional shooter.

At the price point, so far I'm happy with it. Mostly. The glass is great, the reticle is daylight visible, but not "nuclear" bright on the highest setting. The reticle will work fine for static shooting, but, for me, it's probably going to be too fine for close in shooting. I can manage a little "bindon aiming concept" shooting with the PA 3x that I have on an AK, and with the ACOG I used to have, but not this one so far.

The eye relief isn't great, but better than I remember with the 4X ACOG.

My "good" AR, a Knights SR-15 currently has a S&B Short Dot, that I've been thinking about replacing. I may have to seriously consider one of the 3.5X LED ACOG's

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m interested in seeing how it works out for you. I have a “better” AR (LaRue) that currently wears a PA 3x prism, I wouldn’t mind finding a more durable prism alternative. I just can’t get on the ACOG train due to cost and illumination life.
    Problems with the PA?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Problems with the PA?
    No, just considering a nicer optic for this nicer carbine.
    Ken

User Tag List