Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm field pistol -- FN and G5 20

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Heading to the range soon, looking forward to initial shooting impressions. Handling it, the pistol feels large, and enough bigger than a 19 that it is really noticeably larger. I wish the slide had deeper serrations on the front sides and on top, like a Maple Leaf Duty cut, as it is a bear to rack the slide. With cold/wet hands, I imagine it will be even harder to rack. I ordered the mag shims and extra power mag springs from 460Rowland.com, recommended by Clusterfrack, but am hoping the gun runs without them. Metal mags in the FN may be an advantage in a heavy recoiling pistol.
    I recently re-read your G23 thread and I’m curious what led you away from the 40 caliber. I’m planning on having a M&P40 2.0 compact milled for an ACRO. Most of my shooting is with M&P9 pistols but I’ve usually take the 40 when camping or hunting ( east of the Mississippi so far). The 9 is probably adequate for what I need here but my usual hunting/camping partner carries a M&P40 2.0 compact.

Just back from the range, where I shot 82 rounds of S&B 180 ball through the new Gen 5 20. I know 82 because I only had two boxes of fifty, and I finished with eight rounds left. The short report is, I don't know. For the longer report, read on.

First task was to zero at 25 yards. I had used the Wheeler laser inside to get a rough zero, and here were the first five shots.

Name:  9E4E3335-A719-418E-A895-041FF96BC6B9.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  33.3 KB

I made an adjustment, and ended up here.

Name:  5B85C0F6-72BF-4154-BF74-B42E3C0CA6B5.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  34.2 KB

I had to chase the zero around, and I am not sure whether it was me, the optic, mount, ammo or some combination. I finally got an OK zero, but it was nothing like the Gen 5 23, that shot sub two inch groups at 25 with Gold Dot 165 and 180. At round 14, while zeroing, the slide locked back with one round left in the magazine. I don't believe that was grip as the slide stop is actually hard to reach on the 20.

I didn't have as much ammo as I wanted, so my shooting was limited. This was my first run on the practice array we had set up for the rest of our practice. I needed to grip harder, which has downsides in trigger control, and there was definitely more muzzle flip.

Compared to a 19, and especially a comp'd 19, this thing felt like a beast. I did eight doubles, and my fastest split was .19, two were at .20 and the last was .21. Overall, this pistol drew slower and split slower than the G19. Those numbers were somewhat misleading, though, as I was on the edge of control with the G20.

Tomorrow, my Underwood ammo arrives, and the reliability testing with field loads starts. Based on just today, if forced to pick between G5 20 and 23, I would pick the 23 with penetrator ammo, but I am keeping an open mind. Also, this 9mm load seems a great field load for the G19.

https://underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger-...-hunting-ammo/

I am having trouble getting a FDE FN and look forward to getting one into testing soon.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Also, this 9mm load seems a great field load for the G19.

https://underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger-...-hunting-ammo/
    I have a stash of this load. It chrono'd 1070 from a G26 and 1100+ from a G19. I imagine it would dig deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    I have a stash of this load. It chrono'd 1070 from a G26 and 1100+ from a G19. I imagine it would dig deep.
    I haven't had a stoppage with that load yet in multiple G19 pistols with OEM and comp'd Mayhem barrels. How has reliability been for you?

I haven't had a stoppage with that load yet in multiple G19 pistols with OEM and comp'd Mayhem barrels. How has reliability been for you?
    The 19 on up size Glocks seem to be extraordinarily tolerant. I know the guy that runs really screwy stuff and claims they all run.

Be interesting to see if the 20 will run on hot stuff.

Also be interesting to see how the 10 loads do against the 40 loads. Like is it worth the squeeze?

I know 82 because I only had two boxes of fifty, and I finished with eight rounds left.
    Mathz hard. What happened to the other 10 rounds…

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Mathz hard. What happened to the other 10 rounds…
    IRangemaster texted me the same. Once the math gets so I need to take my shoes off, I don't do so well -- exactly why I don't keep round counts!

Hey bitches, this is a scholarly thread, no p talk!
    Dude, do you even p-f?

I'm now checking into milling a Grand Power and it looks like Patriot Defense will do it. Anyone following this thread know whether their work is reliable?

FN 10 should arrive Monday or Tuesday. I still have my eight cartridges, from my box of 90! C'mon man, 8 and 82 go together.

Name:  6DB1C6DC-B7B0-414E-84F0-6BF242AF3C29.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  38.4 KB

Name:  B1810A84-6D17-4DCD-8A2B-2F0A43BD7A28.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  65.9 KB

User Tag List