Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm field pistol -- FN and G5 20

One more thing. YVK is on this kick where weight in the slide is a good thing, and had me weigh both. Even though the total weight of both pistols is about the same, the Glock slide and barrel weigh 23.20 where the FN slide and barrel is 21.40.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The X costs a lot more than the Glock, and feels like a more refined product in your hands. Most shooters, unless they are proficient Glock shooters, will find it easier to shoot the X
    I feel like this has been a recurring statement over the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    "Shot off 3 rounds to check function in my stock Glock 20. Worked fine. Should work for me as bear protection later this year in Montana."

That is signature material right there.
    Sounds more like an epitaph for his headstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    One more thing. YVK is on this kick where weight in the slide is a good thing, and had me weigh both. Even though the total weight of both pistols is about the same, the Glock slide and barrel weigh 23.20 where the FN slide and barrel is 21.40.
    Hmmm

I think is where I am on round counts:

Glock
    185 S&B
    40 140 grain Underwood
    52 200 grain Underwood
    Total 272, 1 lock back with round in magazine

FN
    125 S&B
    20 140 Underwood
    40 200 Underwood
    Total 185, 1 stovepipe S&B 3 mag drops before Dremeling right side
    GJM, if you recall was it 140gr or 200gr Underwood that you experiences premature lock back with? Just generally curious. Thanks. That is some great shooting by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    GJM, if you recall was it 140gr or 200gr Underwood that you experiences premature lock back with? Just generally curious. Thanks. That is some great shooting by the way.
    S&B was the problem round both pistols.

S&B was the problem round both pistols.
    Many thanks! Looking forward to seeing how both of these shake out.

Twice now, I have felt a bid of tenderness in my elbows and hands after shooting the 10mm pistols. Since it has been a long time since I have felt any pain in my elbows, I assume it is related to the 10mm. I can imagine a lot of 10mm shooting might be hard on you.

The 10mm experience may have helped my grip a bit with other handguns.

The 10mm experience may have helped my grip a bit with other handguns.
    This is very true. That’s the main reason why I shoot Limited or SS Major.

The adventure continues.

Quite windy today, so we made our practice a steel day. After shooting my Open gun and PCC, I decided to shoot 15 rounds on steel with the FN 510, but first to shoot my Glock 19 to get some comparative data. Ten inch steel around 15 yards. Here is the Glock, three runs of one shot on each of the three steel at 2.00 (+/- .10), then two shots on each of the three steel at 2.86. The Glock took zero transition from my Open gun, and on draw and transition oriented drills, I can give my Open gun a run with the 19.

Before I forget, the Uplula works great on the FN 10mm magazines. After dry firing this morning, I was mindful of trying not to get too deep with my trigger finger to stay off the mag release. My first two runs with the FN, I was badly out of time with the pistol and in the 2.70 range. My third run I got hits at 2.50, then tried two on each steel. Totally comical, as the magazine falls out after a few shots!

I got my stuff gathered together, and finished with a 2.21 round of three hits with the FN, but it was spoiled by this stovepipe on the last round.

Attachment 101122

So 15 more rounds of S&B added to the FN round count, with one stovepipe and one more mag drop. Afterwards, I dropped the pistol with a friend to dremel the crap out of the mag release right side.
    How do you think your splits / transitions would compare with the HK USP 45 Super ?

C’mon George - your already willing to spend your time, ammo money (and sacrifice your wrists and elbows —compare all them field guns side be side !

Hell, throw in a .44mag Ruger Alaskan with some 305 grainers in there too!

We need “GJM’s Complete History of Field Pistols Tested”. So you’ll probably need to break out your slicked up magnum single actions too.

Maybe one standardized test. El prez like start, start when you hear a tree branch snap, target rushing towards you from 25yds. A-zone is the size of a bear head.

Jeremy

User Tag List