Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm field pistol -- FN and G5 20

Thank you for sharing that info. Do you think you are engaging the slide release lever (inadvertently) with those harder recoiling rounds (namely, the 200grn Hardcast)?

Quote Originally Posted by eric0311 View Post
    Thank you for sharing that info. Do you think you are engaging the slide release lever (inadvertently) with those harder recoiling rounds (namely, the 200grn Hardcast)?
    My best guess is that I am intermittently contacting the bottom of the slide stop on the Glock 20 with some part of my support thumb in recoil. The small (2 mm) beaver tail changes my grip enough that I haven't experienced that issue since installing it.

I hope to get back to shooting the G20 and 510 soon, but I hurt my left wrist badly enough shooting the 20 support hand only (trying to diagnose the problem), that my wrist still hurts. It is getting better though.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My best guess is that I am intermittently contacting the bottom of the slide stop on the Glock 20 with some part of my support thumb in recoil. The small (2 mm) beaver tail changes my grip enough that I haven't experienced that issue since installing it.

I hope to get back to shooting the G20 and 510 soon, but I hurt my left wrist badly enough shooting the 20 support hand only (trying to diagnose the problem), that my wrist still hurts. It is getting better though.
    Roger that! I appreciate your tests… those rounds are not cheap… hope you have a speedy recovery, sir!

Site Supporter

Please let us know when you know what happened to your wrist. If I recall correctly we have at least 2 members here with hand/wrist damage from extensive shooting and recoil, so please be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Please let us know when you know what happened to your wrist. If I recall correctly we have at least 2 members here with hand/wrist damage from extensive shooting and recoil, so please be careful.
    I know exactly what happened. I shot a bunch of heavy loads with just my left hand through the G20 trying to troubleshoot the lock back issue. Then I aggravated it by not stopping shooting my competition pistols, prolonging the recovery time!

I know exactly what happened. I shot a bunch of heavy loads with just my left hand through the G20 trying to troubleshoot the lock back issue. Then I aggravated it by not stopping shooting my competition pistols, prolonging the recovery time!
    Best wishes on your recovery....I enjoy reading your posts

FWIW, I have also shot a bunch of the 200g Double Tap along with the Underwood [it might be the same company] hard cast in my G20....functions perfectly. I'm saving a bunch of that ammo as its so bloody expensive.

In fact, I would bet I have 4x the $$$ in Ammo vs the price of the pistol itself.

I use mine for bear defense while bowhunting so I dang sure want to be able to shoot it well and know its reliable.
    I have one buddy that went through 2 after mkt barrels [one was a LW] too many spring combos to keep track and he still had FTF's with the hard cast. I could have bought it from him cheap at one point....grin A gunsmith finally got it running but I think he went to the SW 329PD as the reliability spooked him.
    Mine in stock format has been flawless.
    [B]“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest” - Ben Franklin

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
    ― Edwin Louis Cole

But what about...

GJM, I hope you recover quickly. As an aside, what are your thoughts regarding the FN and Glock versus the USP 45 you've previously favored? Shootability, accuracy, reliability, etc. I know you prefer a dot, but if you keep 'dots v irons' neutral, how do they shake out for you? Thank you again for sharing your journey of discovery with us.

Quote Originally Posted by 1More View Post
    GJM, I hope you recover quickly. As an aside, what are your thoughts regarding the FN and Glock versus the USP 45 you've previously favored? Shootability, accuracy, reliability, etc. I know you prefer a dot, but if you keep 'dots v irons' neutral, how do they shake out for you? Thank you again for sharing your journey of discovery with us.
    The USP FS is one of the most "awesomest" pistols ever. Wish I had one with an Acro or 509T to shoot alongside the Glock and FN so I could better answer your shootability question. We all know nothing is more reliable than a USP!

@GJM

LGS has both a G23 Gen5 MOS and G20 Gen5 MOS for $620. Based off of your testing with both platforms, which are you more likely to recommended as a field pistol for the lower 48?

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuosity Student View Post
    @GJM

LGS has both a G23 Gen5 MOS and G20 Gen5 MOS for $620. Based off of your testing with both platforms, which are you more likely to recommended as a field pistol for the lower 48?
    I think both the G520 and 23 are good pistols. I would be inclined to go with the 20, because it gives you more versatility with ammo choices, and doesn't have the odd holster fit issue of the G523.

User Tag List