Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm field pistol -- FN and G5 20

The FN is looking like a real winner here.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

My Gen 4 G40 MOS cycled 50 rounds of S&B 180 grain FMJ and 20 rounds of 200 grain HST without failure today.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Cutting Edge recently reduced the pricing on their 190 grain 10mm penetrator loads. They have two offerings on their website, and for less money they have some with mixed head stamps. I called, and they are all new brass, same quality, just some have nickel cases and some are brass. They shot well in the FN and Glock.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/10mm-...ixed-headstamp
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My G20

I got my G20 v3 about 5 years ago after seeing and trying some buddies guns that had been modded.

fWIw, more than a few of those modded guns ( aftermkt barrels, springs, mag springs, etc) needed more work to be reliable.

I kept mine stock and its been flawless. ( actually, I changed the sights) I bought a case of Underwood HC200g for it that cost me more than the damn gun. I bought some 180FMJ and a couple other rounds too….but not the underwood 220g that Hitchcock45 had tumble on him.

I have 700 rds of the underwood through it trying to make it choke- nothing, its perfect with everything I put in it. I did one session with 350rds of HC straight and checked it every 50 for the dreaded leading in the barrel. As I recall, at about 300 rds I could see some discoloring near the throat. At 350rds, it was discolored a dull gray for a couple inches. No deposits, just color. I shot 50 rds of FMJ through it and almost all of that color went away.

My take, the leading is not a worry if you clean it every once in awhile.

One comment; it seems Glock knew what he was doing. I tried a SS GR in it…well just because and If it made a difference on muzzle rise, its not that noticeable.

My buddies that rebarreled all had FTFs…and it makes sense…the KKM for example has a tighter chamber as does I think BarSto and LW barrels.

So now we have a wide meplat bullet cycling into a tight chamber..on a gun we need to be 100% reliable? Silly.

Other buddies changed to heavier springs and some had good luck with the mix and match…

bottom line, I get that guys like to tinker but my stock G20 flat out shoots, stock…with about 1,000 rds through it and zero hiccups.

[B]“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest” - Ben Franklin

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
    ― Edwin Louis Cole

Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    I got my G20 v3 about 5 years ago after seeing and trying some buddies guns that had been modded.

fWIw, more than a few of those modded guns ( aftermkt barrels, springs, mag springs, etc) needed more work to be reliable.

I kept mine stock and its been flawless. ( actually, I changed the sights) I bought a case of Underwood HC200g for it that cost me more than the damn gun. I bought some 180FMJ and a couple other rounds too….but not the underwood 220g that Hitchcock45 had tumble on him.

I have 700 rds of the underwood through it trying to make it choke- nothing, its perfect with everything I put in it. I did one session with 350rds of HC straight and checked it every 50 for the dreaded leading in the barrel. As I recall, at about 300 rds I could see some discoloring near the throat. At 350rds, it was discolored a dull gray for a couple inches. No deposits, just color. I shot 50 rds of FMJ through it and almost all of that color went away.

My take, the leading is not a worry if you clean it every once in awhile.

One comment; it seems Glock knew what he was doing. I tried a SS GR in it…well just because and If it made a difference on muzzle rise, its not that noticeable.

My buddies that rebarreled all had FTFs…and it makes sense…the KKM for example has a tighter chamber as does I think BarSto and LW barrels.

So now we have a wide meplat bullet cycling into a tight chamber..on a gun we need to be 100% reliable? Silly.

Other buddies changed to heavier springs and some had good luck with the mix and match…

bottom line, I get that guys like to tinker but my stock G20 flat out shoots, stock…with about 1,000 rds through it and zero hiccups.

The reason people throw aftermarket barrels at Glock 20s is because of their notoriously bad case support. I had a G20C Gen3 and a bunch of Doubletap 180gr advertised @1250 iirc, and after half a box I noticed that there was a pretty bad balloon on all the brass near the head, where the case support was weakest. Enough so that I didn't even bother collecting the brass to reload. I've still got 4 or 5 boxes of the DT left; I wound up selling the G20C. There's been a LOT of documented casehead separations and blowouts on stock G20s shooting what would have been considered "warm" ammo in 1987 and today is considered "hot"; 200 @ 1200 is one generalized example.

I've been on the lookout for an appropriate 10mm ever since...really the only ones that interest me are Colt Delta Elites (I mean, they are one of the two originals), or a CZ/CZ-copy in it, if I could find one that wasn't notorious for shooting itself apart. I have a P220 in 10mm, but even with "standard" 180@1200 Sig ammo, you can see some case head ballooning on the brass...if you can find it after it gets punted into low earth orbit. I'm following this thread because having an alternative to the Glock juggernaut is really appealing since the other two wishes of mine are either unobtanium or expensive and low capacity...and probably finicky. Smith's re-entry into the field is/was interesting but too many weird problems have cropped up (threads here and elsewhere, especially with the optic mounting) for me to really be interested in it right now...

I checked my brass on the Underwood 200g, no signs of overpressure on those. I’ve also shot the Doubletap 200g/1300fps and no overpressure on those either- also and excellent round.

I get it…its tradeoff. Tight chamber improves case support and improves accuracy…but it can also cause FTFs with these less than round tipped bullets in a semi auto.

I have seen the over pressure you mention on a G20…but it was reloads in a Lone wolf barrel that wouldnt eject cleanly. My buddies buddy that made up the cartridges is a ‘ more is better’ guy.

Personally, I would only shoot hot reloads in a revolver…and have shot smoking hot .44 loads with 300g Buffalo Bore bullets in a SW 329pd and my SW 629 classic.

Now since I bought my Underwood, I see they now make them in Black Cherry….some reference to a slick coating that will no doubt help these on the ramp and chambers. I’ve seen one G20 that supposedly needed the ramp recut due to feeding issues.

Look, I’m just a guy….that has a bunch of bowhunting buddies that own these….so i’ve seen a bunch.
    [B]“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest” - Ben Franklin

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
    ― Edwin Louis Cole

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    The reason people throw aftermarket barrels at Glock 20s is because of their notoriously bad case support. I had a G20C Gen3 and a bunch of Doubletap 180gr advertised @1250 iirc, and after half a box I noticed that there was a pretty bad balloon on all the brass near the head, where the case support was weakest.
    I believe the G4 and G3SF Glock 20s have a fully supported chamber.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have S&W 610 and 310 10mm revolvers. I was under the impression the semi auto 10mm pistols can handle more pressure than the S&W revolvers?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeNCMX View Post
    Initial I thought that was what Glock's US website was reporting but I checked again and noticed this:

Gen 4 21
    Gen 5 21 MOS
    Gen 5 20 MOS
    Gen 4 20
    Gen 4 40
    -All 28.5mm wide

Gen 4 41
    Gen 4 41 MOS
    Gen 5 17 MOS
    -All 25.5mm wide

It looks like my question was answered, a 41 RDS holster will be too narrow to support any 20/21. The 41 seems like an oddity to my .45 Glock ignorant mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    The 41 solved the slide mass equation by just making the slide narrower.

It's possible that a holster for a 41 might also work for a 20/21, just going to depend on the individual holster.
    The 41 uses G34/35 holsters.

The 41 is not cross compatible with other 45/10mm glocks.

The 20/21 and the G22 Gen5 can use the same holsters.

User Tag List