Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm field pistol -- FN and G5 20

I agree with @GJM. I am not a fan of heavy .40 S&W loads because the case wall thickness is not nearly as robust as 10mm. I've experienced a case rupture in Buffalo Bore .40, and never want to repeat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuosity Student View Post
    @GJM

LGS has both a G23 Gen5 MOS and G20 Gen5 MOS for $620. Based off of your testing with both platforms, which are you more likely to recommended as a field pistol for the lower 48?
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think both the G520 and 23 are good pistols. I would be inclined to go with the 20, because it gives you more versatility with ammo choices, and doesn't have the odd holster fit issue of the G523.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Thank you both for your replies and thanks @GJM for the time, effort, and money you contribute.

I know exactly what happened. I shot a bunch of heavy loads with just my left hand through the G20 trying to troubleshoot the lock back issue. Then I aggravated it by not stopping shooting my competition pistols, prolonging the recovery time!
    Have you considered the FK BRNO PSD? The $2000 one, not the $9000 one.

I thought of this because the recoil is so soft on the PSD.

The mixed:

• The safety is like a CZ - comes off safety OK. Doesn't go on as smoothly as a CZ. Might get better with time or as I get more used to the angle.

The good:

• Single action only, with an adequate trigger.
    • It is red dot ready - I suggest the RMR as it appears to sit low enough to use the raised iron sights. Smaller sights, like the Holosun EPS, sit too high, since they need an adapter plate.
    • The grip is blocky, but is actually more comfortable than the larger, rounded grips on a Glock 20. It is small enough that my wife, whose hands are too small for a Glock 19 can shoot the PSD.
    • Recoil is like a pleasant 45 ACP.
    • And it is a 95-101 grain bullet going 2000 FPS.
    • Falco makes several different kinds of holsters for it.

The not-so-good

• It is not as widely used or supported as your other options, but boy does it fit the bill for performance.
    • Be aware, it looks like they do not properly tighten the set screws for the front and rear sight at the factory.
    • It is about $80-90 a box of 50 rounds.

Sighting it in was really easy and it was super accurate. As soon as my new Holosun (we have to use green dots, red gives my wife migraines) comes in, I'll take it out and resight it and try it as 50 and 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    Have you considered the FK BRNO PSD? The $2000 one, not the $9000 one.
    It really does seem as if the Czech company invented the pistols and 7.5 cartridge with someone like GJM in mind.

https://www.recoilweb.com/fk-brno-ps...ew-165154.html

Vending Machine Operator
    The USP FS is one of the most "awesomest" pistols ever. Wish I had one with an Acro or 509T to shoot alongside the Glock and FN so I could better answer your shootability question. We all know nothing is more reliable than a USP!
    What are your thoughts on the HK45, if you've had time with one? I've sorta had the itch for one lately.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    What are your thoughts on the HK45, if you've had time with one? I've sorta had the itch for one lately.
    For Super ammo, the USP has the double RSA. I also think the match hybrid LEM in the USP FS is the best HK hammer trigger available. HK45 is a fine, and obviously reliable/durable/accurate pistol. I just think the USP is more fine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Vending Machine Operator
    For Super ammo, the USP has the double RSA. I also think the match hybrid LEM in the USP FS is the best HK hammer trigger available. HK45 is a fine, and obviously reliable/durable/accurate pistol. I just think the USP is more fine.
    Thank you!

Gotta admit the whole thing that got me down the .45ACP HK path was watching Tom Cruise rock the USP 45 in Collateral for like the 6th time last month (one of my favorite movies).
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    • It is red dot ready - I suggest the RMR as it appears to sit low enough to use the raised iron sights. Smaller sights, like the Holosun EPS, sit too high, since they need an adapter plate.

Sighting it in was really easy and it was super accurate. As soon as my new Holosun (we have to use green dots, red gives my wife migraines) comes in, I'll take it out and resight it and try it as 50 and 100 yards.
    I got the Holosun 407C. The higher rear and from sight mostly work. The top half of the front sight is visible, which seems to work good enough. Will post again after shooting it.

I bought a 509 MRD LE as a sub caliber trainer for the FN 510. This model has a single side mag release, a flat trigger and comes with five magazines.

My wrist is feeling healed enough to start shooting some 10mm again. By the way, the trigger on the 509 sucks, but my wife says that may be a feature as a sub caliber training gun for the 510. Also, may be checking out a USP full size 45 with an optic.

User Tag List