Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: 10mm field pistol -- FN and G5 20

@GJM
    Have you played with a P220 in 10mm? Just curious after the above post with the P229.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuosity Student View Post
    @GJM
    Have you played with a P220 in 10mm? Just curious after the above post with the P229.
    I have not. I love my 229, but I want more capacity than 8+1 in a bear defense pistol. To rob from Tom Givens, a single stack 10mm is a one bear gun, and I want a three bear gun!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Tony at JM is set up to do holsters for the Sig X Ten C. Between warmer weather coming and holsters, I am starting to get going testing the Sig. Still yet to have a stoppage. I can shoot it better than my other 10mm pistols.

I shot the FN 510 MRD 10m, followed by the 320 X Ten C today, and enjoyed them both.

I am overdue for an update in this thread.

Tony at JM made holsters for my wife and me for the Sig X Ten Comp. The Comp uses a different holster than the X Ten full size, as the Comp adds thickness at the muzzle. The Comp carries surprisingly well AIWB in a George.

Here is the range holster, and we have them on QLS 19 forks.

Name:  IMG_7642.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7643.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  73.9 KB

I have done belts set up for field and practice, so we can easily switch different holsters onto the Safariland CUBL.

Name:  IMG_7644.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  102.8 KB

My pistol is set up with an EPS full size on a CHPWS plate, and the normal height sights barely but do work as reserve sights. Between the comp and the ergos of the X grip, it shoots great, especially for a 10mm. You can see how flat the pistol shoots for 10mm.

We like the pistol enough, we got a second one for my wife. We decided to go with a Holosun SCS 320, which mounts directly without a plate. There is a bit of play, so you want to align the optic with the iron sights or a laser sighter as you tighten it down. We have shot the SCS a few times, and dry fired it in varying light conditions, and so far are pleased with the auto adjustment. The display on the 320 model is quite big.

Name:  IMG_7641.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  100.4 KB

To date, both pistols have been 100 percent reliable with all ammo tested, but I have always downloaded the fifteen round magazines by one cartridge, as fifteen feels tight. Yesterday, I went to video shooting an array with the 320, and had a stoppage on the first shot. When I looked, I had mistakenly loaded fifteen rounds in a new magazine, and it was locked up tight. You can see that in this video.

With that resolved, the gun functioned fine.

So far, we are pretty enthusiastic about the X Ten Comp -- reliable, shoots flat and carries small.

Vending Machine Operator
    Just wanted to thank you for the time and effort. I'm considering my first 10mm pistol (WOW is that a rabbit hole) and this has been very helpful.

Still on the fence about options, but I think the Sig option does seem very promising. What barrel length is generally needed to get the full performance from full house 10mm loads?

Alternatively, have you shot the M&P options at all? I had seen some murmurs about issues with it when it came out, but don't know the status. Feel free to ignore the question if you'd prefer to avoid the thread drift.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Just wanted to thank you for the time and effort. I'm considering my first 10mm pistol (WOW is that a rabbit hole) and this has been very helpful.

Still on the fence about options, but I think the Sig option does seem very promising. What barrel length is generally needed to get the full performance from full house 10mm loads?

Alternatively, have you shot the M&P options at all? I had seen some murmurs about issues with it when it came out, but don't know the status. Feel free to ignore the question if you'd prefer to avoid the thread drift.
    Everything I have read and heard suggests the M&P 10 mm pistols are great with 40 Smith & Wesson power level loads, but not reliable with heavier 10 mm loads. For personal defense around bears and another large animals, the 3.8 barrel on the X 10 comp is, absolutely sufficient with penetrating ammo. The overall length is also compact enough that you can carry it AIWB or in a variety of other holsters. The FN 510 MRD and G5 20 are also worth consideration. Right now, the Sig is my favorite 10mm.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Everything I have read and heard suggests the M&P 10 mm pistols are great with 40 Smith & Wesson power level loads, but not reliable with heavier 10 mm loads. For personal defense around bears and another large animals, the 3.8 barrel on the X 10 comp is, absolutely sufficient with penetrating ammo. The overall length is also compact enough that you can carry it AIWB or in a variety of other holsters. The FN 510 MRD and G5 20 are also worth consideration. Right now, the Sig is my favorite 10mm.
    That helps a great deal, thank you. I've got plenty of good .40s so I don't benefit much by a 10mm I have to limit to .40-level loads. I really like everything about the X-Ten's look and the performance in your shooting videos. Seems quite shootable for the caliber.

Thanks again.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    That helps a great deal, thank you. I've got plenty of good .40s so I don't benefit much by a 10mm I have to limit to .40-level loads. I really like everything about the X-Ten's look and the performance in your shooting videos. Seems quite shootable for the caliber.

Thanks again.
    The Sig is the best shooting 10mm of my various 10mm pistols.

User Tag List