Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm field pistol -- FN and G5 20

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I don't know what their specific coating is but most in general are pretty similar and I see no downside.

This is speaking is generalities, but in the same manner that you can push lead faster than you can push a jacketed projectile, the poly coated projectiles allow you to get a bit more velocity and still be safe, pressure wise. I have run some very fast loads using polymer coated loads in testing.

In fact I just got in some new components to see how fast I can push a heavy hardcast, poly coated 9mm out of a Glock. I am still unboxing my stuff from the move but when time allows plan on doing some testing, since pretty much everyone shoots a 9mm better than anything else.
    Just my $0.02 I would appreciate a line of hardcast poly coated "Field Loads" that would be optimized for reliability in Glock, and whatever 2nd most common pistol would be, as well as penetration with as blunt nose as possible in standard service calibers 9mm, 40, & 45 ACP besides the 10mm.

Buffalo Bore has their "Outdoorsman" loads that are sort of like that but don't think they are really tweaks for reliability since most that shop there want max power.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Just my $0.02 I would appreciate a line of hardcast poly coated "Field Loads" that would be optimized for reliability in Glock, and whatever 2nd most common pistol would be, as well as penetration with as blunt nose as possible in standard service calibers 9mm, 40, & 45 ACP besides the 10mm.

Buffalo Bore has their "Outdoorsman" loads that are sort of like that but don't think they are really tweaks for reliability since most that shop there want max power.
    Those are in the works, and the .40 has already been developed. It is one I worked on for quite a long time. I wanted the trifecta of reliability, accuracy and velocity. Went through a bunch of projectiles of various weights and profiles. Finally it all came together.

The 170 grain poly coated +P .40 SWC at 1200 FPS from a stock G22.3 barrel. Superb accuracy from the test guns.

Normally I carry a 9mm for a lot of my summer/ non woods carry purposes. But because the 170 grain heavy .40 load was so accurate and easy to shoot well, I started carrying it as a daily gun more and more.

My 50 yard shooting (rested) is not great, but it gives you an idea of what it is capable of.

Been carrying this all summer.

As far as the 10mm and .45 go, that is still in the works. I have a non coated .45 that has been such a solid performer (a 250 GRN flat nose at 925) that I have not looked to hard recently at changing that up. It is without question my favorite load for Grizzly country, as the formula of a large bore bullet such as a .44/.45 at a moderate velocity, that is easy to shoot well, has been extremely successful at killing large game for well over a century. Putting it into an auto pistol just makes doing so faster, with less recoil.

I know that 10mms are the most popular, but personally I think many seriously miss the boat when it comes to heavy .45 ACP loads. They are super hard to stop. I have killed elk, deer, a bunch of vehicle struck, but semi mobile cattle, and other game with the .45 and proper loads, and it is rare to need more than one shot.

Glock's polygonal rifling handles the hardcast bullets with ease and in well over 100K rounds of hardcast through various Glock 21 .45s, I have never had a single problem. That said, I will eventually here develop a poly-coated load for the .45 ACP.

Same with the 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have been carrying a Glock 19 or 47 with G9 in AK and MT this summer. Occasionally the G5 20 with Cutting Edge, but not the FN.
    I assume the G9 9mm stuff has been reliable in your guns for a fair number of rounds for you to trust it. The bullet shape really had me wondering if it'd be reliable. I really like the idea of solid copper, especially in that near wadcutter profile... but man that stuff is expensive.

FWIW, I put 50 rounds of the Lost River 148 hardcast through my G19, and 10 rounds through my G26 without issue. I'm saving the rest for camp/hunting/hiking use, and I may buy some more in the future. I had no issues with the lead bullets (other than maybe a little smoke, compared to jacketed loads), but I'd be interested in a poly coated version, simply for the sake of less lead exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I assume the G9 9mm stuff has been reliable in your guns for a fair number of rounds for you to trust it. The bullet shape really had me wondering if it'd be reliable. I really like the idea of solid copper, especially in that near wadcutter profile... but man that stuff is expensive.

FWIW, I put 50 rounds of the Lost River 148 hardcast through my G19, and 10 rounds through my G26 without issue. I'm saving the rest for camp/hunting/hiking use, and I may buy some more in the future. I had no issues with the lead bullets (other than maybe a little smoke, compared to jacketed loads), but I'd be interested in a poly coated version, simply for the sake of less lead exposure.
    No reliability issues observed with the G9 124 grain or Lehigh Underwood 115+P loads. A few issues with the Underwood 147+P coated hard cast load in Glock pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Those are in the works, and the .40 has already been developed. It is one I worked on for quite a long time. I wanted the trifecta of reliability, accuracy and velocity. Went through a bunch of projectiles of various weights and profiles. Finally it all came together.

The 170 grain poly coated +P .40 SWC at 1200 FPS from a stock G22.3 barrel. Superb accuracy from the test guns.

Normally I carry a 9mm for a lot of my summer/ non woods carry purposes. But because the 170 grain heavy .40 load was so accurate and easy to shoot well, I started carrying it as a daily gun more and more.

My 50 yard shooting (rested) is not great, but it gives you an idea of what it is capable of.

Been carrying this all summer.

As far as the 10mm and .45 go, that is still in the works. I have a non coated .45 that has been such a solid performer (a 250 GRN flat nose at 925) that I have not looked to hard recently at changing that up. It is without question my favorite load for Grizzly country, as the formula of a large bore bullet such as a .44/.45 at a moderate velocity, that is easy to shoot well, has been extremely successful at killing large game for well over a century. Putting it into an auto pistol just makes doing so faster, with less recoil.

I know that 10mms are the most popular, but personally I think many seriously miss the boat when it comes to heavy .45 ACP loads. They are super hard to stop. I have killed elk, deer, a bunch of vehicle struck, but semi mobile cattle, and other game with the .45 and proper loads, and it is rare to need more than one shot.

Glock's polygonal rifling handles the hardcast bullets with ease and in well over 100K rounds of hardcast through various Glock 21 .45s, I have never had a single problem. That said, I will eventually here develop a poly-coated load for the .45 ACP.

Same with the 10mm.
    Great!

I agree the 45 ACP with proper load is good, I handload hardly at all so I went with 10mm over 45 ACP for that role years ago because there weren't any factory 45 ACP loads I liked for field use then, and 10mm was legal for handgun hunting locally though law has changed. Plus before pain became limiting issue for me I would generally use N frame if wanted more than G26 or J frame for anything serious. Then 10mm was usually the sidearm to 629 when handgun hunting.

FWIW having a trustworthy company with proper loads for specific uses is really helpful when friends/family ask for suggestions.

Average gun owner I know isn't like typical PF reader, so being able to say your home defense Glock with this load will do fine vs Black Bear if needed when your at Cabin up north is real helpful. Most of them don't do much practice, more into hunting than anything else and tend to hunt with rifles and shotguns but tend to have one pistol for defense. And I know they will shoot a service caliber pistol better under time pressure than a 44/45 revolver.

Your 40 load sound on right track to me, I've long compared performance of old cartridges with long history to modern cartridges, figure if they worked for decades or longer back then with older bullet technology they will still work today. Long noted that standard 40 S&W loads from pistol were practically identical to original 38-40 or 44-40 from revolvers, while the 10mm was equivalent to 38-40 and 44-40 from levergun. Your 40 load is on par with 38-40 from levergun.

Side note, read at least once Ross Seyfried saying that for him idea with the modern 45 Long Colt 5 shot revolver loads and the 475 Linbaugh was to replicate old blackpowder rifle cartridge performance in handgun. I think he also implied if not outright stated that the LBT style bullets with proper lead alloy and casting technique gives you better bullet performance than those original cartridges had.
    Last edited by Dov; 09-17-2023 at 06:05 AM.

10mm 190gr Cutting Edge solid, 8.6gr 800X (compressed), magnum primers. ~1150fps from a Glock20.4.
    (Use at your own risk)
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

10mm 190gr Cutting Edge solid, 8.6gr 800X (compressed), magnum primers. ~1150fps from a Glock20.4.
    (Use at your own risk)
    My factory Cutting Edge rounds are right under 1,100 fps in my G5 20. This is with 15 rounds of Cutting Edge.

Name:  IMG_5518.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  50.0 KB

I just bought a Boresight G5 20 and plan to mount an EPS which should bring it in just under 40 ounces loaded.

Looking for thoughts/opinions on something:

For quite a few years my backcountry carry has been, depending on the location and situation, either a USP45 full size match-LEM hybrid, a USP 9 compact, or a 3-inch 357 magnum. For the time being that's not going to change.

But I'm old enough that it's becoming easier to shoot accurately with optics than with iron sights. I've thought about just getting the USP slides cut but there are only a few folks doing that, and I can get Glock slides cut for half to a third of the cost so at least for the transition may go that route. Easier to change if it takes a while to settle on the right setup.

There are some complications being in California, details below for those who want the full thought process but the short version is gen 5 Glock's are not on the roster here so a lot of the pistols discussed above are not currently an easy option.

After reading some older threads, I'm wondering about the viability of a Glock 35 gen 3 as an optics capable field pistol in 40. What does everyone think?

Nothing bigger than black bear near here, and they're generally afraid of people (but fairly common in some areas). Dogs are actually the most common local woods risk.

Reasons for:
    - There are G35 examples on the shelf at two LGS, although I'm not really in a hurry, the plan is to have something set up and vetted for reliability by a year from now;
    - Allegedly, the G35 slide is a little heavier/beefier? Is that true? It feels good in hand but I haven't shot one yet (only a friend's G40, and was accurate/no issues with that).
    - Numerous optics choices and easy/relatively inexpensive to get the slide cut;
    - I have some G9 Woodsman on order in 9mm and 45acp for testing, and it's also available in 40, that widens non-lead ammo options for California use;
    - The G35 fits in the Hill People Gear original that I use for carry when wearing a full backpack, even an Acro P2 won't change that. For dayhikes, OWB is practical, under a light jacket in cool season or on federal land open carry is usually OK for the warmer months. I have smaller things for in town.
    - The flexibility is tempting. The OEM barrel for field and some practice, the ability to get a 9mm conversion barrel for the range, the ability to get a 357 Sig barrel just because I still have an ammo can full of that caliber to use up.
    - Some of the older threads suggest good reliability but don't specifically discuss woods use.

Other possibilities include a G21 or G17, or getting the USP slides cut at $300-$400+ each. In the meantime the plan is to send my G26 slide out for an optics cut and probably an EPS in the very near future and see how I like that. I've had RDS on my 22LR for several years and on a couple of rifles for much longer than that and really like it. In the short term I can still do OK with iron sights on full size and long slide pistols, it's the shorter sight radius stuff where that front sight is getting harder to see.

A note on the roster: Eventually this problem may go away, we have district court wins on Boland vs Bonta and Renna vs Bonta but both injunctions on the roster are stayed pending appeal. Could take a couple years or more to sort out. The decisions did open up the ability to add new pistols to the roster if they have both loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect, that's how the optics ready P320 M18 just became the first new pistol added to the roster since 2007. There could be a few more coming, or the manufacturers may just wait for the appeals to play out. Someday I expect to be able to buy gen 5 MOS pistols without paying scalper private party prices, but am tired of waiting. I'd like to do this while I can still do long multi-day hikes on rugged terrain.

I think you should cut a 9mm Glock slide that you have for a dot and see how an optic works for you.

I got another G5 Glock 20, this one with a Boresight level one stippling package, and asked Ben to make it extra sharp, to help with traction in cold and wet conditions. Mounted an EPS full size on a DPP plate.

Name:  IMG_5524.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  97.2 KB

It is 27 ounces unloaded without a magazine.

Name:  IMG_5526.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  84.5 KB

I boresighted it with a Wheeler laser, and it was within an inch or two when I shot it for the first time today. This is five rounds of S&B 180 and five rounds of HST at 15 yards.

Name:  IMG_5554.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  28.2 KB

Then I shot the Cutting Edge at 25 yards -- it hits a smidge lower.

Name:  IMG_5555.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  29.8 KB

Really dig this pistol. Round count so far is 35 rounds of S&B, 5 rounds of HST and 20 rounds of Cutting Edge 190 penetrators, so 60 rounds no issues.

User Tag List