Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: USPSA Scoring

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I hardly knew which end of the gun the bullet came out of...
    I've been every USPSA classifications: U, D, C, B, A, M, GM.
    I never thought I'd be a GM.
    I never thought I'd win IDPA Nationals.
    I never thought I'd be able to train with Eric Grauffel and have any of it make sense.

Don't sell yourself short of anything. Anything is possible.
    Thank you sir.

Every day I start my entries, in both my firearms training log, and my workout log, with "Goal: Make A Class." When I achieve that, the very next entries will start with, "Goal: Make M Class."

I just wish I had started this journey 25 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Sometimes, when magazine count permits, doing the 'ol "double reload" makes it worth it... I found this old video of me doing that a match in Oak Park, IL - it worked out that day.

That was one of those stages where you look at the drop-turner (NPMs) and calculate it as a 45pt stage in 8s or a 55 pt stage in 8.5 seconds... You know the HF is going to be low(ish), especially with the table start/empty gun, so getting any additional points is seemingly worth it...
    It was handy to guess/estimate the HHFs before shooting - knowing that data just helps determine if you should take the bet or not; if you should push or hold...
    desperately trying to find my Provincials video from a few years ago. We had a stage with 22 rounds, and I and few others (after I proved the method lol), ran the gun dry for the first 11 (5 paper 1 steel) then on the move reloaded twice to get back to 11 for the last 5 paper and 1 steel. When I did it the RM was watching as well as the MD, and the MD came over laughing and punching me as I'd messed up the challenge he thought he'd introduced with the stage. The RM just shook his head and then later that day did it the same way. That's the only time I've ever had the chance to do a double reload, hmmmm, gonna have to setup a stage with it!
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I had not before heard of a double reload.
    Shooting L10 tonight, maybe I will get a chance.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I had not before heard of a double reload.
    Shooting L10 tonight, maybe I will get a chance.
    It helps when there is movement, etc which allows the time it burns to be worth it...

Can some of you hit factor magicians/mathematicians give some examples of how to determine whether or not to fire a makeup shot makes sense, after hitting a no shoot?

While I'm still struggling to get better at shot calling, and usually if I clip one its very close to the edge, that I called as a good shot. However, there are some times that I know I hit the no shoot. Generally if its Comstock scoring, and I know I can fire a quick makeup, I go for it, and if its Virginia count I leave it, with no makeup, to avoid the penalty. I assume there are situations where that might not be the best course of action.

Any thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Can some of you hit factor magicians/mathematicians give some examples of how to determine whether or not to fire a makeup shot makes sense, after hitting a no shoot?

While I'm still struggling to get better at shot calling, and usually if I clip one its very close to the edge, that I called as a good shot. However, there are some times that I know I hit the no shoot. Generally if its Comstock scoring, and I know I can fire a quick makeup, I go for it, and if its Virginia count I leave it, with no makeup, to avoid the penalty. I assume there are situations where that might not be the best course of action.

Any thoughts on that?
    In general, try not to miss or hit no shoots....

Comstock
    At the B level shooter stage: Make up any no shoot or borderline delta-mike. Don't make up any charlie-delta that you left position already (don't go back for them).

At the A level stage: Make up any no shoot or borderline delta-mike that you haven't left the position yet. Don't make up charlies.

User Tag List