Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Recovery Gear?

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Fun fact about winches and electrical draw. I was off-roading with a buddy. We came across some people stuck. Hell we can get them out with the warn winch( I can’t remember the model) mounted to my home welded front bumper. I blew through every resistor and fuse and nuked the charging system getting them almost out of the mud.

Some old dude saved the day in a beat to fuck on the outside early 90’s step side f150 step side manual transmission and block and tackle. I know because he drove me to the parts store so I could be saved.
    Yeah, my Warn 9000 draws a lot, but at least so far the electrical system on my FJ has been up to the challenge. The pic I posted above was from recovery of a trail building machine that rolled down a hill. The engine was fuct on the Ditch Witch, so we had to winch it about 20 or so times to get it out and onto the trailer. My winch kept getting hot to the touch and we had to wait and let it cool.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    One of the big draws to the PW for me was factory winch with factory wiring and warranty combined with a factory suspension designed with the weight in mind. This particular one has the dual alternator option, not sure how much of a difference it makes in this regard, but it's got it regardless.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

For my Tacoma:

Shovel
    Ax
    Silky katanaboy saw
    Maxtrax
    30’ tow strap
    Soft shackles
    Snatch strap
    Tree saver
    10k winch

The maxtrax are especially useful and easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A57460
    CTC lasers : Pistols = ABS : automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket20_Ginsu View Post
    Silky katanaboy saw
    For sure, I don't necessarily think of it as recovery gear but that thing has saved more trips that I can count by letting me get stuff out of the path instead of turning around.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yeah, my Warn 9000 draws a lot, but at least so far the electrical system on my FJ has been up to the challenge. The pic I posted above was from recovery of a trail building machine that rolled down a hill. The engine was fuct on the Ditch Witch, so we had to winch it about 20 or so times to get it out and onto the trailer. My winch kept getting hot to the touch and we had to wait and let it cool.
    One of the keys to an electric winch is using a snatch block. Unless I need all the rope, I always run a snatch block and run the free end back to my winch mount. This makes the winch work half as hard as it has to on a straight, single line pull. If I need to reach out, I'll still run out to a snatch block and use a static winch rope extension to what I'm pulling. If its REALLY BAD, I can use multiple snatch blacks and do a 3-1 or 4-1 pull. Yes, if the electric motor gets too hot to hold your hand on it, wait and let it cool.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    One of the keys to an electric winch is using a snatch block. Unless I need all the rope, I always run a snatch block and run the free end back to my winch mount. This makes the winch work half as hard as it has to on a straight, single line pull. If I need to reach out, I'll still run out to a snatch block and use a static winch rope extension to what I'm pulling. If its REALLY BAD, I can use multiple snatch blacks and do a 3-1 or 4-1 pull. Yes, if the electric motor gets too hot to hold your hand on it, wait and let it cool.
    That’s what I would do now. But hey I was young and dumb at the time. Really using your gear appropriately and taking the time to plan the best course of action with what you have. You can recover most things with some thinking and simple tools without destroying stuff and getting yourself in more trouble.

Anyone use this ground anchor? Might be useful in a solo sand situation. Thinking about throwing one in my side by side for those long range desert adventures where trees may not be found for winching.

https://www.americantrucks.com/redro...ity-97117.html

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    Anyone use this ground anchor? Might be useful in a solo sand situation. Thinking about throwing one in my side by side for those long range desert adventures where trees may not be found for winching.

I've watched a few of those get dragged outta the sand right before I got a bunch of quality shovel time. This was prior to me experiencing the magic of airing down (a lot) and kinetic ropes. OK, the latter didn't exist when that happened.

Shovel, soft shackles, Matt's rope (they are as nice on the phone as they seem on youtube) a pintle hitch (also Matt's fault), tree saver and a winch on the way. I would like a morrvair but will continue to settle for the wrangler and tacoma.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post

There not useful. They won’t reach a depth to produce stability to make a move on sand without working harder to use it. An iron rod with an eyelet at one end pounded into the ground with a 5 pond sledge would be more useful.

Factor 55 giving a class at King of the Hammers-

We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List