Thread: .38 Super Comp cartridges won't fully go into case gage.

.38 Super Comp cartridges won't fully go into case gage.

I've about 150 or so loaded .38 Super Comp rounds (124 gr MG JHPs over N350) that will not go into the chamber check gauge fully. They stop about 2/3 of the way in. From what I have measured and determined, it looks like the last 1/3 of the cases near the rim were not sized properly and they get stuck on that lower portion of the case. I'm hoping I can use the Lee Factory Crimp Die with the carbide ring to get the cases sized properly. I'd back off or remove the crimp portion of the die first to ensure that no crimping would be done.
    The other option is to use the Lee carbide sizing die with the depriming insert completely removed.
    What would you do? I really don't want to pull all of those rounds apart with a kinetic puller.

What loading dies are you using? It sounds like either your sizing die has a really large chamfer at the entrance, or that your dies could stand to be screwed down another turn or so. I've had this issue with 9mm, and ended up buying a really old Hornady Durachrome carbide die set that was made before the days of progressive presses and the need for that big chamfer, It doesn't help that I sometimes load a bit too hot, and that causes the base of the case to expand more than intended. I end up tossing those cases when I find them.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

These cases were loaded on a Dillon 550 with Dillon dies.
    I believe that you're correct that the sizing die was not set correctly (not down far enough to correct any bulge from hot loads).

Going forward I'll be using the Lee carbide dies on a Redding T-7 turret to try to fix this and on any future .38 Super Comp loads. I've used the Lee dies successfully thus far on my .38 Super reloads. And I'll be far more diligent about checking the brass after resizing and depriming.

So, what's the best approach to fix these out of spec loads?

I would try a few with the Lee FCD. The FCD has helped reduce the glock bulge with my 9mm loads.

Site Supporter
    Ditto on the Lee die mentioned by @Flamingo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    These cases were loaded on a Dillon 550 with Dillon dies.
    I believe that you're correct that the sizing die was not set correctly (not down far enough to correct any bulge from hot loads).

Going forward I'll be using the Lee carbide dies on a Redding T-7 turret to try to fix this and on any future .38 Super Comp loads. I've used the Lee dies successfully thus far on my .38 Super reloads. And I'll be far more diligent about checking the brass after resizing and depriming.

So, what's the best approach to fix these out of spec loads?
    Before you mess around with trying to get those rounds to work in the gauge, I'd pull the barrel and run them through the plunk test. There's a good chance they'll run in the gun.

I don't have a .38 SC. I use a Lee U die in my RL 550 for 9x19, adjusted to just kiss the shell plate. Using a random round pulled from a .50 cal ammo can, nickel FC brass measured .374" below the bullet and .384" at the lowest point the carbide part touched the case. Specs are a cylindrical case at .384" for both .38 Super and .38 SC; swapping in your .38 Super Lee sizer die should fix the problem going forward.

I've had a bad experience with the FCD in .45 ACP, but haven't tried it in other calibers.

I won't load without the Lee FCD. I did have a similar problem with 45 RN. The ogive was more distal to the nose and had to simply shorten OAL. Problem solved.

User Tag List