Hear ye, hear ye....

....get a new range.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    https://www.pwcva.gov/news/prince-wi...olice-training

Hear ye, hear ye....

....get a new range.
    I wonder if this will affect public accessibility...

I'm not hopeful.

Chris

Too bad. I liked having this range as an option. I don't expect it will be open to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I wonder if this will affect public accessibility...

I'm not hopeful.

Chris
    Police ranges usually aren't open to the public. I'd assume it will be closed to the public, and would be super surprised if that weren't the case.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Police ranges usually aren't open to the public. I'd assume it will be closed to the public, and would be super surprised if that weren't the case.
    That's my experience as well, but it wasn't entirely clear if they intend to operate it in its current capacity with the Prince William police reserving portions of it for their training or to just shut down the entire facility to public access.

A range I used to visit in SW VA went the cop range route for a while and reverted to mixed use (specific days for police training), but they were always privately owned as far as I'm aware.

Bottom line is this is probably the end of indoor shooting for me as the next closest facility is NRA at nearly an hour away (not to mention the total shitshow that range has become since it opened its doors to non-members).

Chris

When I lived in San Diego in the 80s, the PD range was open to the public every Wednesday night, but that was the past where they do things differently.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    That's my experience as well, but it wasn't entirely clear if they intend to operate it in its current capacity with the Prince William police reserving portions of it for their training or to just shut down the entire facility to public access.
    The county bought it for $22 million. I can't imagine they'd buy the facility to then just pay some corporate entity to operate part of it for public use. Otherwise they would've just kept paying ESS to reserve the 25 yard ranges in the weekday mornings like they (and others) already do.

There's a big shortage of range space in the NCR for police agencies, so I'd bet they already have outside "paying customers" lined up that aren't a security risk for wanting to go to the range just to kill cops....which next to general liability is the big reason you likely won't see them opening it up to the public.

Thankfully another range just opened up in Ashburn, not far from Silver Eagle Group, though I guess that doesn't help you based on where you're at. I live pretty close to the NRA range, so I need to scout out XCAL and SEG to see if I want to shoot there vs NRA.

I hate waiting, and I don't like the cramped feel of the NRA range. Ashburn isn't too far of a drive for me, I only live a few minutes from the 66/28 interchange.

I used to be a non-LE member of the Seattle Police Athletic Association (https://www.spaarange.org/). You have to pass a background check, very little practical shooting is allowed, and the rules are really strict, but it's an option. If you let your membership lapse, then you have to redo the BG check.

It will probably be litigated out of existence as soon as the City Council realizes what they've got.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Spend the weekend in WV and go to Shadow Hawk or Peacemaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Spend the weekend in WV and go to Shadow Hawk or Peacemaker.
    Not everyone has that kinda time or disposable income. Elite was (is) awesome for me to confirm a zero before a weekend class on a long gun. The loss will be felt by many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List