Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dyal, “Prep Time”

Another week, another run….g

8 for 10 this afternoon; I am enjoying this little exercise. My usual carry piece, G19MOS w/ACRO and a TLR8G attached utilized. Close misses on the 2nd prepped trigger shot and one off on one of the two shot draws. For me, it’s a matter of “patiently” pressing the trigger. So, I will just be more patient next time.
    Side note: I’ve been working the light/laser switch in dry practice, and had two loose rounds to use up. Single shot from the draw in under 4 seconds with the ACRO turned off to see if laser was pretty close. I’m working the TLR switch with my support thumb just after my hands meet. Curious if anyone does it differently (?)
    Both rounds hit, so I’m pleased with the results.

Have run this a few times last few months with a p365xl macro with eps carry mrs

Shot at.10 yards

1 10/10
    1 9/10
    4 8/10
    2 7/10

Name:  Screenshot_20230625_203949.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  30.0 KB

Pretty happy with this result. Gen 3 G19, Holosun 507C.

I do like this one...

Shot it again at lunch today with a coworker on indoor range. Used my trusty G19MOS w/an ACRO P2 out of a JMCK IWB2 unconcealed for the presentation strings. No overtime strings, 10/10.
    Earlier observations remain the same: there is "plenty" of time-the key is to take it. Another way of thinking about it is to not worry about time, and focus on grip and trigger manipulation.
    FWIW, the bright post it notes seem a bit easier to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Shot it again at lunch today with a coworker on indoor range. Used my trusty G19MOS w/an ACRO P2 out of a JMCK IWB2 unconcealed for the presentation strings. No overtime strings, 10/10.
    Earlier observations remain the same: there is "plenty" of time-the key is to take it. Another way of thinking about it is to not worry about time, and focus on grip and trigger manipulation.
    FWIW, the bright post it notes seem a bit easier to me.
    From a learning and improvement perspective, I think after cleaning this once…

It shouldn’t be run again.

Basically strings 1-3 lead up to #4.

If you can do #4, why waste time on 1-3 after that?

You don’t want to just pass a standard, presumably you want to improve your skill and margin so you can do it on demand with time to spare rather than dumbing down your drill to keep your skill stagnant.

So the efficiency training standpoint is:

Once you can hit a post it from draw in 4 seconds… don’t keep doing the same thing plus easier things.

That’s not how you grow.

Go down to 3 seconds and do string #4 alone.

Use 5 separate post its and run it 5 times.

Use your 10 shots to see your reproducibility on the most difficult part of the exercise.

Not revisit the rudimentary warm up steps.

See how many hits you can make with each 3 second par and work from there.

The goal from unconcealed holster would be 2.0 seconds or thereabouts. Breaks down to 1.5 + 0.50.

Name:  IMG_3104.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  42.6 KB

@JCN

You do realize you're an outlier, correct?

I wonder what the cold "clean" pass rate would be amongst the various classed shooters C-GM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    @JCN

I wonder what the cold "clean" pass rate would be amongst the various classed shooters C-GM.
    That’s the biggest cop out, though.

I’m an outlier because of my brain, not because of my physical prowess or physical background.

So I’m sharing my brain with people to get them to think like outliers if they want to avoid being ordinary.

That’s why I had a “JCN isn’t good at long guns… yet” journal. To show what and how to go from B/A to GM level skills.

Note that a 2 second 10 yard post-it is basically the same time standard as the easiest turbo run stage off the Gabe White standards (4” at 7 yards).

It’s not the ability to do something like this.

It’s the level of reproducibility you’re striving for.

I’ll give you an example from my range session today.

Name:  IMG_3107.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3108.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  43.5 KB

So if you told me that I had two tries to make it, I would shoot at the first picture pace.

If you told me I had 5 tries to make one stick, I’d shoot at the second pace.

If you told me I had one try, I would probably go up to a 0.4 or so.
    If you told me I had 20 tries and fastest time wins, I’d go down to a 0.15-17.

Single runs mean little. Generally while pushing vision and skill, having to repeat it is a better indication of skill than a single cold run.

Anyone can get lucky!

You’re trying to find where your aggregate limit is and then improve the mechanics to raise that limit.
    Last edited by JCN; 07-02-2023 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    @JCN

To reiterate, I’m not saying “this is what I can do, nyaaaah nyaaaah.”

I’m saying “this is how you improve no matter where you’re at.”

It’s a pretty factual truth that if you don’t work to improve your skills… you won’t improve your skills.

Cold performance despite some legacy trainers thinking that’s the end all be all… isn’t.

It’s knowing what your performance probability is and allowing for more standard deviations of mechanics if appropriate.

For example: I can do the 10 yard double from a draw in approximately 1.75s total.

At about a 60-70% reproducibility.

So that’s obviously not the right selection for a test that has to be run and repeated (unlike something like a GW where “missing” sinks the run but not the drill).

For me, looks like sub-2 is my 90% reproducible pace on a 3” circle (note it’s smaller than a post it) at 10 yards.

First run had a snatched second shot (and was slow).

Second and third runs settled in.

Repeatable.

Name:  IMG_3181.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3180.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  27.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3184.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  47.2 KB

To answer your question, if you take the given time parameter of four seconds and break it down to 2.75 second draw and 1.25 second follow up… I would say that’s probably C class USPSA mechanics to do at 90% reproducibility.

USPSA classification definitions

For people who don’t know how classifications are determined it’s percent hit factor compared to the best out there.

C class is 40-60% of the best people out there in the database.

That’s still pretty damn good compared to the general population.

Even a USPSA D class shooter is better than a significant majority of gun owners.

I think sometimes people take offense at “C class” or “B class” monikers but it’s just a way to shorthand describe a certain level of index, transition precision and recoil management at speed.

B class is pretty damn good in the grand scheme of things.

C class may be “average” for people who compete regularly, but it’s still damn good.

It’s the associated emotional baggage we carry from grade schooling where B is average and C is considered a failure.

Regarding classification: It’s not. And it’s not an insult, it’s an assessment to say someone has C or B class skills. No matter what their paper card says they are.

If someone has a Legacy drill that has a passing time / score that’s “X” and I can do it in half the time or double the hit factor or some combination of points / time and I’m not a world beater…

Then by definition, passing score is C class USPSA level. It’s not an insult, it’s an assessment.

Now people can keep running the C class standard and never improve… or they can work the mechanics to try and do it 25% faster / more points to get to A/M level performance.

That’s part of my beef with Legacy drills. People don’t realize they’re usually a C level achievement level. That’s still pretty darn good. But not a reason to want to sit on your thumbs and remain at that level, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Per Justin, once you think you're pretty salty on Prep Time, do it at 8 yards strong hand only or on a reduced USPSA steel at 40 yards. It's even more hurtful with a 1 7/8 J-frame at 7 yards.freestyle.
    Yeah, I took an attempt SHO @7yds over the weekend… let’s just say humility hit.

I’ll have to try it as template for a walk-back evolution.

That said, in the past few months, I have come to like this drill as an occasional mix-up to the dry fire routine. Also, and not that I shoot nearly as often anymore, I like it as a “wake up” drill for when I pick up the 442 or LCRs after a session with the Glocks; or vice versa. Just to observe/reinforce any matters between my presses. Probably a lousy way to explain it.

Also high praise from @SLG.

https://pistol-training.com/prep-time-with-justin-dyal/
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List