Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Work Sharp Precision Adjust Elite

Just ordered a Work Sharp Precision Adjust Elite

And it should be here tomorrow. What should I know before getting started? Will any knife on the premises be safe?

Work Sharp Precision Adjust Elite
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I bought the "un"-elite version of the Work Sharp a couple of years ago. I think it's great. I was using another system which, after I tried the Work Sharp, realized just wasn't maintaining the angle as well. I liked the Work Sharp so much, in fact, that I just got the belt-driven version. It's great for wholesale sharpening, e.g., a kitchen full of knives. But the standard version works just fine when you're just sharpening one or two at a time.

There are plenty of videos to watch. The main message probably is to let the sharpener do the work; don't rely on pressure. Oh, just in case, it's probably advisable to practice on an inexpensive knife.

Enjoy!

Thanks! I've got a couple blades left over from my "knife making" kit days, a few various cheap-ish folders and a variety of old kitchen knives to practice on. I also picked up a DMT Extra Fine/Fine folding diamond sharpener on the recommendation of @okie john in another thread.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I'm too impatient for manual sharpening. I have the WS Ken Onion powered sharpener with the blade grinding attachment. I have found this is the best sharpener ever for me. With multiple grit belts I can sharpen ANYTHING to a shaving, newspaper whitling sharp!

Impatience is a large part of why I went manual. I've almost gone beyond the point of no return on numerous projects when I got impatient and broke out the dremel, belt sander, etc. Plus I could use something Zen-like in my hobbies...

Finally spent a little time with it yesterday. I like it but I need more time to get the technique down.

My first attempt was on a cheap folder I assembled from a kit I got through Jantz or Texas Knifemaker Supply in the late-00s. I used it at work with whatever edge it came with and when it got dull I picked up something else and relegated it to the "Maybe I'll do something with this someday. Maybe." pile. I spent about a half hour working on it while getting a feel for the technique. The end result didn't feel sharp (or at least not what I expected sharp to feel like) but it slices printer paper and shaved hair from my arm. After that I spent about 15 minutes with my EDC pocket knife and got the same result. I used the 25* setting so maybe that's why I didn't feel a razor sharp edge like I was expecting?

I also ordered one of these Gritomatic V-Block Clamp Support earlier this week but it just now arrived (weather delay) and I haven't tried it out yet.

Just a followup on the Work Sharp Ken Onion Elite Sharpening System. Was at granddaughter's birthday party and told my son about my new toy. He pulled out a 10-12 inch veggie knife, showed me a big notch (and a couple of smaller ones) in the blade, and asked me if the sharpener would fix "that". I confidently said "Sure, maybe".

Took knife home, started with the "Extra Coarse" belt, and in a few minutes worked out the gaps and maintained the alignment of the blade. Worked through 2-3 progressively finer grit belts (they offer all the way down to stropping belts), and in no time had it sharp enough to chop the toughest carrot. Or peel a tomato. Not the finest steel in the knife world, but the process worked great. Would have take forever with manual stones, at least for me. The beauty of this system (and there are plenty of similar ones) is that you can easily adjust the belt speed and angle, so as not to damage "good" knives.

Good to hear! I was thinking about picking up the Lansky and comparing it to the WS but I’ll probably skip that and just pick up the powered WS and have the best of both worlds.

I've screwed up and chipped the edge of my Strider SMF enough that the only way to fix it was with a sanding belt. The Worksharp did great and it's all I need for that knife. I haven't used it on anything else, yet

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    And it should be here tomorrow. What should I know before getting started? Will any knife on the premises be safe?

Work Sharp Precision Adjust Elite
    Just ordered one should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can restore my Benchmade Trauma which has suffered from my wife's gardening usage of it yesterday...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List