Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Memphis 5

I didn't see the beating part, just the wait for EMS, but as one of my instructors said back in the day, "If a suspect wants to fight, do whatever you have to do to win. If you beat someone in cuffs; you're a coward."
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

This is terrible, in fact way beyond terrible. It makes that cop kneeling on the guy's neck look good, which is not good at all. I hope these guys are executed but we all know they won't be. As of last night I think all are out on bail. They better have good disguises.

Questions from a non LE

How should first contact have been handled differently?

Why at second contact when they caught up to him was he not cuffed immediately? If it was do to the suspect resisting what is the remedy at that point?

I'm guessing "choke holds" are not allowed?

For clarity in my view if the suspect had complied this would not be a topic today (he chose poorly) also not justifying the beat down

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Questions from a non LE

How should first contact have been handled differently?

Why at second contact when they caught up to him was he not cuffed immediately? If it was do to the suspect resisting what is the remedy at that point?

I'm guessing "choke holds" are not allowed?

For clarity in my view if the suspect had complied this would not be a topic today (he chose poorly) also not justifying the beat down

thanks
    You're asking procedural questions about a situation where procedures didn't exist. There's no suspect here, only a victim. There are no officers, only killers with badges. We can't break down the sequence of events regarding tactics in an incident that seems to be straight up murder.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    This is terrible, in fact way beyond terrible. It makes that cop kneeling on the guy's neck look good, which is not good at all. I hope these guys are executed but we all know they won't be. As of last night I think all are out on bail. They better have good disguises.
    Generally, in America, you can only be punished as enumerated in law for the crime you're convicted of.

They were charged with Murder 2, which in Tennessee is not eligible for the death penalty.

So, no, they won't be executed.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I've watched all of the released BWC and surveillance camera footage;
    I've been hearing this afternoon and evening that, rather than being worse than Rodney King - which in terms of the beating & intent it appears to be - it is far more like what Rampart really was.
    In other words, it was not cops somehow going bad, but rather, another insane push for diversity, at the expense of capability & standards, leading to gangsters being hired as cops. If those reports are accurate, then this - while still epically kittenin' wrong - is even more squarely on the hands of those on the other side of the aisle.

For the record, all things considered, kitten those 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I watched it last night when I got home from work.

That was exactly my thought.

The five shitheads aren't cops. They're street thugs that somehow snuck into a uniform because of desperate or woke hiring practices. That looked just like any other hood beatdown by gangbangers I've seen.

It's completely infuriating.

...and I totally agree. Fuck them.
    And it starts right at the top...

Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn Davis fired from previous Atlanta job after botched sex crimes probe

Hiring from Thugs 'R' Us you get people like this...

Former Memphis cop charged in Tyre Nichols’ death allegedly beat up inmate in 2015
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Why is it some people of questionable character get promoted and rise in rank?! This is more of a statement than a question.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    Why is it some people of questionable character get promoted and rise in rank?! This is more of a statement than a question.
    Tacitus makes note of this tendency in his "Histories" regarding the corruption endemic to the Roman Legions during the Year of the Four Emperors. Crooks will often promote other crooks, and punish the honest.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Name:  memphis 5.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  66.5 KB

Haven't been able to confirm this but it is consistent with the way of the world.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

In any case, I suspect we're going to see some really nasty creepy-crawlies under that particular institutional rock.

One does hope that someone who actually knows what they are doing is able to really shine a light on the department, and really bring out all the problems into the public. It may be that a spate of feel good legislation and stupid regulations by city, state, and federal lawmakers will actually mask the real problems in favor of a narrative that favors the Democratic Party.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List