Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need help with old eyes and finding a solution.

Are you looking for a pair of glasses to use just for the range when shooting iron sights?

I have a pair from Liberty Sport, the Boreal glasses, that uses magnetic interchangeable lenses.
    When I shoot iron sights I use a computer monitor distance lens for my dominant eye and a distance lens for the other eye. It takes a few minutes for the old brain to adapt, but it works pretty well for me.

I had my optometrist set up the prescription for reading a computer monitor at arms length for the dominant eye and I've been using that system for well over 6 years. It works well enough for me to shoot the local Bullseye match and usually place in the top 4 using a 50 year old Clark Custom 6" longslide in .45 ACP.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    Steve, consider taking your prescription to the optometrist and ask them to make you a set of lenses with the reading plane (which you want for front sight) on the top instead of the bottom. Works wonders. If your local optometrist won't do it, SSP eyewear (Google will get ya there) will do it for ya.

Alternatives include, of course, RDS on the carry pistol or if that's too bulky, try Advantage Tactical sights. They're the best non-optics "geezer sights" solution this geezer has found so far.
    Along this same strategy, go to Walmart or any other place that sells over the counter reading glasses. These offer various degrees of magnification. Lower powers of magnification like 1-2 placed in front of glasses might do the trick for seeing front sight clearly. This works well for some contact lens wearers. If you discover that it works for you, then follow Mas' advice.

Might have missed this earlier in the thread, but if the correction is small (from current glasses) that you need to be able to get a front sight focus, look on Amazon for safety glasses that fit over your regular glasses (or just fit over contacts if that's what you wear) for close-up work. I've tried those, and they work pretty well with irons at the range. I've since changed to red dots, and have left the hunt for specialty glasses behind. Although, yesterday I had cataract surgery on my second eye (the dominant one) so at the moment, can't see much of anything really well. Doc said this morning that "everything is coming along nicely - - - just give it time". I'm patient, but not very!

I've had cataract surgery on both eyes. After having the right eye done I tried a +1.5 diopter increase from distance; this brings the focus in to about 2/3 meters or close the normal front sight distance. Good news: razor sharp front sight. Bad News: certain targets with certain backgrounds at distance (100' or so for steel challenge) didn't present with much contrast. I'm currently using a +1 add and it's a great balance for front sight and distance pulling the best focus in to about a meter.

A couple of other suggestions:
    • Don't were really dark sunglasses. You want your pupils as small as possible for depth of field without sacrificing comfort. I use clear when overcast and #2 Brown (about 50% transmissive) when it gets brighter. Love the Brown color. For this same reason I'd avoid photochromic.
    • I would make sure you have enough white space between blade and notch. A bit more white space seems to help as you get older.
    • I found the 0.060" fiber on my Staccato to be much to my liking. Drilled out my 0.125" front sight on my competition 1911, inserted larger fiber, and I find I'm paying less attention to aligning the sights horizontally. If the entire red "dot" appears with decent alignment of blade/notch tops I'm good to go

If your astigmatism isn't too bad you can, as others have mentioned, learn a great deal using full-field "reader" safety glasses to help figure things out.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    Steve, consider taking your prescription to the optometrist and ask them to make you a set of lenses with the reading plane (which you want for front sight) on the top instead of the bottom. Works wonders. If your local optometrist won't do it, SSP eyewear (Google will get ya there) will do it for ya.

Alternatives include, of course, RDS on the carry pistol or if that's too bulky, try Advantage Tactical sights. They're the best non-optics "geezer sights" solution this geezer has found so far.
    Holy cow. Not sure I was consciously aware of these before.

https://www.concealedcarry.com/gear/...-sight-review/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I wear multifocal contact lenses. I can read almost everything, and see at a distance, but not a long distance. They work well for me(I'm 55) and may be something to try.

I went to the eye doc and he gave me two sets to try with my glasses. A 1.25 and 2.0. So far the sight is still a blur. I have a plate match on Sunday and I will give them a try.

User Tag List