Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with old eyes and finding a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Long story short, I can't focus on the front sight anymore without tilting my head so far back with my progressive lenses that I might shoot the sky. I will be 60 this year and all of a sudden my progressive lenses are not working for me. I went to the eye doctor and got a new pair of glasses and they are not working. I plan to re-contact the Dr. and try again maybe with bifocals. I am interested in what has worked for others.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have the same situation. I’ve learned to be comfortable with a less than optimal sight picture with either a bright orange or gold bead front and a black serrated rear. As my eyes progress I’ve been moving more and more to RDS, which solves it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mas
    Steve, consider taking your prescription to the optometrist and ask them to make you a set of lenses with the reading plane (which you want for front sight) on the top instead of the bottom. Works wonders. If your local optometrist won't do it, SSP eyewear (Google will get ya there) will do it for ya.
    59 years here, progressives stopped working 'round 57, familiar with the whole head tilt.

Tried the SSP safety glasses with the reverse lens, didn't work for me. YMMV

The RMR's solve all my issues, and shooting two eyes open with the dot sight only made it better. I was never able to shoot 2 eyes open with irons....ever.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

73 here. Very near-sighted, some astigmatism. Cataracts got bad enough that I just had first eye done, and second eye later this week. Had all the issues with front sight focus, and seeing near and/or distance as ophthalmologist and I tried various lens combinations. For me, none worked except . . . switching to a red dot.

I'd offer that I could have avoided all the hassle and expense of trying various glasses, irons and paint combinations. For me, any inconveniences of the red dot are minor, very minor, compared to the benefits. I was (and am, for that matter, as I still shoot irons some) amazed at how much better, and more confidently, I can shoot dots, particularly at distance.

That's just me. But I'm one of many that have successfully and happily switched over to dots.

I wear trifocals. Tried the progressives for a year and hated them. I have an extra pair of glasses for shooting. The entire left lens (my dominant eye) is focused at front sight distance. My wife's company changed insurance providers so I got new glasses in the fall and got my shooting glasses next April since I didn't need to wait.
    This is a fix also.
    http://www.meritcorporation.com/
    You can test the concept w/ a piece of tape the size of a postage stamp. Put a 1/16" hole in it and lick the sticky side so it doesn't stick so you can move it around.
    And this; fiber optic front sight.
    https://dawsonprecision.com/sights/beretta-sights/

62 with astigmatism and lower light issues. Also, I had lasik done in 2000 and am very happy with it. I am newer to shooting and can front sight focus but LOVE my red dot optics. An RDO works great for my wife who occasionally wears only one contact lens so she can have close/long vision. FYI, as we age our eyes get drier. I find some moisturizing eye drops throughout the day really help me see better.

Steve, exact same boat here. My G19.3 slide just came back from Jagerworks, milled for a Holosun K footprint to start the move to red dots.

I wear traditional progressive lenses. They're what I need for the 99% of my life when I'm not shooting (as mentioned a few posts back.)

I look at my glasses and gun set-up as an entire system that has to work for my physical needs and limitations. Perfect shooting glasses won't work for most of my life needs. I'd prefer a trigger like a Sig 229 DAK or maybe a HK LEM or maybe my P250SC. Something G19ish size since carrying is my need with a long trigger stroke due to my hand issues, but I can't find a way to mill for a dot. So to get sights that work with my eyes I'm working on the G19 with a NY1 and standard connector to account for my hand, hopefully moving to the minus connector as I build confidence. It won't be the "perfect trigger" for me but it will work and be safe. For personal defense in my civilian world I think the iron sights are probably a "better" option than a dot since I might well be presenting the gun in a stressed, out of balance or out of position fashion when a proper draw and press out isn't the first thing on my mind. But if I'm all Mister McGoo with my iron sights, the dot is probably a better overall option. Maybe a little bit slower but since I own every bullet that leaves the muzzle I'm willing to be a little slower in order to not shoot some kid down the street instead of hitting Thugzilla.

Similar. I don't wear bifocals but can't see up close through my glasses. Most of the time I wear monaural contacts and that works ok for everyday life but sucks for shooting because my corrected eye is my strong eye. If I wear glasses I flat can't focus on the front sight. I suppose if I wore bifocals I could do some weird head tilt thing but that doesn't seem reasonable (or likely).

So:
    1) If I want to shoot very precisely I need to use an RDS. I don't like them, I don't think they're mature, and I have a lot of guns I love dearly that won't get them. Sucks to be me.
    2) I do good enough at see-fucker-shoot-fucker with a big black or orange FS using TCinVA's framing concept. I am ok with this right now. Could get worse, sucks to be me.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    So:
    1) If I want to shoot very precisely I need to use an RDS. I don't like them, I don't think they're mature, and I have a lot of guns I love dearly that won't get them. Sucks to be me.
    2) I do good enough at see-fucker-shoot-fucker with a big black or orange FS using TCinVA's framing concept. I am ok with this right now. Could get worse, sucks to be me.
    Progressive bifocals here (plano for distance plus readers) but otherwise me. ^^^
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Age 65, cataract surgery on both eyes about 3 years ago. I went from severely nearsighted to distance vision like a hawk but badly out of focus front sights. I started working in earnest on target focused shooting. I found orange, fiber optic or all black front sights to be a better awareness reference of "about" where the front sight was vs the Trijicon yellows I was formerly fond of.

I didn't suffer much on timed stuff but slowfire precision at 25 yds never caught up with sharp front sight shooting. But target focused alphas at 25, slow or on the clock didn't suffer.

Now I've joined the RDS revolution and it's a game changer of course.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Wife went for mono-vision contact route. One eye for distance, the other up close.... Might be a solution for the OP, if he's a one-eye shooter...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I did for about 33 years, soft lenses.
    I wear multifocal contact lenses. I can read almost everything, and see at a distance, but not a long distance. They work well for me(I'm 55) and may be something to try.
    --Jason--

User Tag List