Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mas Ayoob on red dots

Mas Ayoob on red dots

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Here is an excerpt from Paul Howe's November CSAT Training Update: "It is an industry fad on pistols, like many of the other points that Ken addressed.

As for it being the 1% ers that will get it, I see a few more. SWAT, if they practice, will likely have the dedication to maintain their skills. You might have a patrol officer here and there that shoot them well.

For most, it will be false confidence with a weapon and a “bucket” for a holster on their hip. Money and time would be better spent on training with what they have."

I'm not overly shocked at him taking this position. Right or wrong, he sure knows how to pick a side of an argument.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Yep. A fad and a false confidence. Glad the dude had both.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-behind.html
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

At a club match last weekend, a friend and strong CO shooter, decided to shoot Limited with his Glock 35. He regularly shoots a Glock in CO, so he is familiar with Glock pistols. Non withstanding major power factor scoring, he shot 20-25 percent lower in results with iron sights compared to an optic. I kiddingly told him I hoped his carry gun had an optic, which it does.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

They are not a fad and they will continue to improve.

I think the video does a good job presenting some of the pros and cons.

I will continue to put them on handguns, as the performance benefit is undeniable.

Site Supporter
    They are a fad just like optics on ARs are a fad. We’ll all be going back to irons on our rifles as soon as we figure that out

I have a dot on a pistol and a revolver. Neither of them are on a carry pistol. I've never had any formal SD training so I'm not qualified to discuss that. Ayoob has so I'll go with his assessment. Plus he's my age (really old) with lots of experience with both irons and dots. He's someone I can relate to when he discusses the differences in using a dot on a carry. I do know that at SD distances I don't need a dot on a pistol. If I wanted to spend a lot of time training with a dot I'm sure I could wrap my brain around it but what's the point. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Another consideration. If you carry an older revolver try to find mount. Ayoob talks about a 686 with a dot, but he was using it for competition.

For new shooters I think they have merit and aren't a fad. For boomers with plenty of experience shooting without dots, it's probably a waste of time and money. I can see his point.

I guess we'll see how many military units and LE agencies adopt pistol dots. Personally I don't have a clue where that is these days.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-13-2022 at 09:02 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

As my eyes slowly slide off into the sunset, I’ve found my ability to shoot quickly and accurately is definitely enhanced by my RDS equipped carry pistols.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I feel like red dots on pistols are showing the change of the guard when it comes to experts on modern pistols. I don't mean that as an insult, but I noticed the same thing while I was in the Marine Corps. Old timers set in their ways had vastly different opinions then the middle of the group *10 years in vs 20+*NCOs who had more recent combat experience and were still open to new concepts and gear to increase lethality.

I love @Mas because he’s always balanced and introspective.

Best red dot video that Wilson combat has put out.

User Tag List