Thread: GJM, thank you.

GJM, thank you.

A year or two ago you had a thread on how you were mounting you holster. It is basically a lot more muzzle forward than most. I read it, thought about it a bit but never tried it. Last summer I started doing diy kydex holsters. That worked well when the 2022 idpa rules came out in that it was relatively easy to adopt the now legal drop and offset. A month ago the 23 rules came out that specify exactly how much offset is actually allowed. Ooops, I am over that for sure. So I started modifying. I found standing in front of a mirror and looking at the holster wasn't so great so started taking cell phone pics after each change. From front, side, back etc. Those side shots showed how my embarassing belly size angles my belt down in the front. My zero cant holsters are actually riding at maybe a 15 degree cant. So, as I was doing another adjustment, I thought back to your thread and set the holster cant to counter that 15deg belt. Now the holster is vertical to the world, not to my belt. WOW, unbelievable, WOW. My hand now slips solidly up against the beavertail w/ almost no effort and I can get a full strong hand grip on the gun before it leaves the holster. I also notice another aspect that you pointed out. There is a range of maybe 4 inches along the belt that the holster can be placed in. And it's position affects how close my natural hand/wrist angle is to the grip angle as the gun sits in the holster. Wife and I did some practice yesterday and I will shoot a match tomorrow. I super happy now and expect to be even more so by tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again.

I am not sure if it is legal in the competitions you shoot, but the Henning holster hanger is next level in terms of the flexibility it allows you in optimally, mounting your holster body.

https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1509990
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not sure if it is legal in the competitions you shoot, but the Henning holster hanger is next level in terms of the flexibility it allows you in optimally, mounting your holster body.

https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1509990
    Thanks for posting that, it looks way more robust than the mounting options I've been using.

Not to make you spend more money, but the henning mag pouches are also the bees knees in terms of infinite adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Not to make you spend more money, but the henning mag pouches are also the bees knees in terms of infinite adjustment.
    Yep, pretty much everyone around here has the Henning holster and one mag pouch for their first reload. Also, the DAA Linx belt with a ratchet is very popular. Even that Luddite YVK has this stuff. This is my Glock rig, so no Henning mag pouch.

Name:  2FDA7E85-C07D-4D23-BBD7-FFF468878C0B.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  22A82EED-49CC-489E-AB1C-34437EC0A3F4.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  99.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Haha I totally remember that thread. My G34 was canted backwards on my belt for that reason.

Yes the henning would be nice but not for idpa. In 2022 they started allowing offset and drop holsters but they are restricted. Butt of grip must be above top of belt and in 2023 they decided that offset is limited to the width of a mag from belt to gun. Their overall description says something like if you can get your gun out of the holster while sitting in a car seat you are probably OK. Another criteria is how would one's rig look if worn into a grocery store. Well hopefully it wouldn't look like anything because it would be hidden. I actually don't have any problem w/ these restrictions. My edc holster for my M&P compact would be really slow and ugly in idpa. But, within the restrictions, I am trying to get the easiest draw I can. I am retired and playing w/ diy kydex rigs is a lot of fun even if it can be frustrating at times.

User Tag List