Thread: Rangemaster “Armada Standards”

Rangemaster “Armada Standards”

https://rangemaster.com/wp-content/u...Newsletter.pdf

I shot it three times in this week’s session, all with a PX4CC in a Kramer belt scabbed under a fleece vest. I don’t have my notes handy but from memory:

Run 1: 187 points, hit factor 8.2

Run 2: Failed to top off ammo and ran dry on the WHO stage. Don’t remember the points and didn’t bother to calculate the hit factor.

Intermission: We shot Justin Dyal’s “Prep Time” (https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...accuracy-drill). I’ll post a separate thread on that.

We were going to switch to pocket guns, but my friend was having trouble with his 9mm and wanted to shoot the Armada standards again to see if the malfunction would repeat.

Run 3: 196 points, hit factor 9.2. That was a good note to end on.

I enjoy drills developed by both Tom Givens and Justin Dyal, so I'm looking forward to trying Armada Standards and Prep Time this weekend.

Tried this out today. As indicated above, I like most the drills I've tried from @Tom Givens so I was looking forward to this.

Gear was Gen 3 G19, 507C, JMC kydex AIWB under a T shirt. First run was 193 points in 19.11 seconds, for a hit factor score of 10.1.
    Name:  Screenshot_20230204_200634.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  34.7 KB

Did some other stuff, them came back and had a second run. Shot 195 in 17.97 seconds, for a hit factor score of 10.85.
    Name:  Screenshot_20230204_200555.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  34.1 KB

In other threads @JCN has discussed the benefits of Hit Factor scoring, so for the second run I decided to experiment with faster times and looser accuracy expectations. However, I wasn't able to really get off the brakes and onto the gas. My time was slightly faster, but my accuracy was even better than my first run. I may be subconsciously throttling myself to make sure I get excellent hits. @Clusterfrack - is this the kind of issue you've mentioned in the Tier 1 Guy thread?
    Last edited by Mark D; 02-04-2023 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    In other threads @JCN has discussed the benefits of Hit Factor scoring, so for the second run I decided to experiment with faster times and looser accuracy expectations. However, I wasn't able to really get off the brakes and onto the gas. My time was slightly faster, but my accuracy was even better than my first run. I may be subconsciously throttling myself to make sure I get excellent hits. @Clusterfrack - is this the kind of issue you've mentioned in the Tier 1 Guy thread?
    I think this is a good example. You only have a sample size of two, so you don't know where you are relative to your current limits. Check out Mason Lane's "Finding 100" drill. The idea is to shoot a drill (or mini-stage, scenario, etc.) at different levels of what JJ Raccaza calls "attack" and "control", to find your 80, 90, 100, and 100+ percent. The central concept in the Tier1 thread, and below is: if you don't push to failure, you don't know your limits, and improvement is slow.

For a life-critical shooting situation, knowing your limits for a given set of targets and surroundings is one of the most important skills. Maybe THE most important.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think this is a good example. You only have a sample size of two, so you don't know where you are relative to your current limits. Check out Mason Lane's "Finding 100" drill. The idea is to shoot a drill (or mini-stage, scenario, etc.) at different levels of what JJ Raccaza calls "attack" and "control", to find your 80, 90, 100, and 100+ percent. The central concept in the Tier1 thread, and below is: if you don't push to failure, you don't know your limits, and improvement is slow.

For a life-critical shooting situation, knowing your limits for a given set of targets and surroundings is one of the most important skills. Maybe THE most important.

Thanks @Clusterfrack. The Mason Lane video is super interesting and provides a nice framework on how to experiment with one's limits. I'll try "Finding 100" next weekend. Appreciate the feedback.

Played around with Armada Standard some more. In the spirit of "Finding 100", looking to see what I could get away with.

Run 1) Focused on really good hits. 197 points in 21.35 seconds. Hit factor score = 9.23

Run 2) Sped things up. 180 points in 15.85 seconds. HF = 11.36

Run 3) Tried to find the sweet spot between accuracy and speed: 185 points in 16.43 seconds. HF = 11.23

The drill seems to reward speed, provided you keep 'em inside the target.

Hit factor = 10.46 today. Slow, but OK accuracy. Still working on that balance of "what can I get away with".

Name:  Screenshot_20230819_140758.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  31.0 KB
    Last edited by Mark D; 08-19-2023 at 04:23 PM.

User Tag List