Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Glock ACTUALLY shoots left.

Site Supporter
    I would think that "eyeballing" the sight would allow one to detect variation from plumb. I've seen a few revolvers with a canted from sight, but in each case the barrel was not turned up so that it was centered. Once I sent a J frame back to Smith and complained that it shot off to one side. They fixed it by turning the barrel to cant the sight. This technique resolved the issue, but I then had a revolver with a "crooked" front sight.

There was a rumor years ago that Heinie cut the notches in his rear Glock sights a little off center to allow for this. Anybody know if it's true?

Quote Originally Posted by IDontDoQuests View Post
    My Glock actually shoots left. No, not low left. Just left, ever so slightly, we're talking about a 2 to 3 millimeters at 7 yards, and you can start noticing it pretty heavily the further out you take it..
    This is about 1 cm at 25 m, an almost negligible amount, and very easy to correct drifting your rear sigh a veeery small distance... am I missing something?

What you missed is someone who told you it's been checked, by multiple people, multiple times. I'm not going to take a pic and upload it. If it was the issue, the first thing I would have done is thanked you and fixed that problem.
    I know you've had your sights installed by multiple people/professionals, but I've seen hundreds of guns with the front sight twisted that were installed by full time agency gunsmiths. The direction you have to turn the front sight screw to install a Glock front sight twists the front sight so the front face of it is slightly off center to the right, which causes the gun to shoot slightly left when the rear sight is centered. Unless the person installing the sight braced the front sight in the slide to keep it straight, they likely just hand torqued it down and slightly twisted it in the process. You probably can't even tell by visually looking at it unless you run a straight edge down the side of the front sight.

EDIT: If you posted a top down picture of your slide/front sight, it might be easy to see it in a photo.
    Last edited by Gio; 01-31-2023 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    There was a rumor years ago that Heinie cut the notches in his rear Glock sights a little off center to allow for this. Anybody know if it's true?
    Not sure about these days, but it was true a decade or so ago when I was using Heinie sights on Glock pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I know you've had your sights installed by multiple people/professionals, but I've seen hundreds of guns with the front sight twisted that were installed by full time agency gunsmiths. The direction you have to turn the front sight screw to install a Glock front sight twists the front sight so the front face of it is slightly off center to the right, which causes the gun to shoot slightly left when the rear sight is centered. Unless the person installing the sight braced the front sight in the slide to keep it straight, they likely just hand torqued it down and slightly twisted it in the process. You probably can't even tell by visually looking at it unless you run a straight edge down the side of the front sight.

EDIT: If you posted a top down picture of your slide/front sight, it might be easy to see it in a photo.
    And because I’m OCD I’ve actually twisted the front sight the other way holding with pliers while screwing so that the rears stay centered. Basically I use the twist allowance to make that the adjustment.

That’s what I was recommending to the OP so he wouldn’t have to look at offset rears.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    All the time you and everyone else took to type out this thread. It takes less time to drift a sight in a dovetail than to type the war and piece epic of your original post.
    So what do you want to talk about in a pistol forum? Only the subjects you care about? Is this your site? Don't like it, don't post in it. Make your own threads.

Site Supporter
    So what do you want to talk about in a pistol forum? Only the subjects you care about? Is this your site? Don't like it, don't post in it. Make your own threads.
    Sure thing chief. I wish you luck figuring out one of the most simplistic pistols in the industry.

Today, I installed back up iron sights on a new Gen 5 Glock 20. Being quite aware of the tendency of the front sight to be cocked slightly to the right, I exercised significant care in attempting to get it straight. I then mounted my optic and laser sighted it with a Wheeler. Looking at the iron sight alignment compared to the laser, it was obvious my iron sights would result in a left impact deflection. Did some more checking and realized I had a tiny cant to the front sight. Got that straightened out and the iron sights lined up with the laser and red dot. If I didn't have the Wheeler laser sighter and a red dot, it would have been easy for me to believe this pistol shot left, as a smidge of cant in the front sight moves impact considerably.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Today, I installed back up iron sights on a new Gen 5 Glock 20. Being quite aware of the tendency of the front sight to be cocked slightly to the right, I exercised significant care in attempting to get it straight. I then mounted my optic and laser sighted it with a Wheeler. Looking at the iron sight alignment compared to the laser, it was obvious my iron sights would result in a left impact deflection. Did some more checking and realized I had a tiny cant to the front sight. Got that straightened out and the iron sights lined up with the laser and red dot. If I didn't have the Wheeler laser sighter and a red dot, it would have been easy for me to believe this pistol shot left, as a smidge of cant in the front sight moves impact considerably.
    Can you post an Amazon link for the wheeler laser ?

User Tag List