Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Glock ACTUALLY shoots left.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    But you have to zero a red dot, too!
    Don’t get me started on how people trying to zero a red dot by co- witnessing to iron sites that are not zeroed just Do not understand the problem……

Site Supporter
    2-3mm at 7 yards should be easily corrected by bumping the rear sight about .003 to the right. I understand the op's desire that his pistol shoot straight but wonder if grip and stance might be affecting poi. Using myself as a sample of 1, I can say that 99% of my scores of handguns shot to the left unless I was shooting a revolver double action. The op might try shooting from a bench using a stable rest. If a friend has an aftermarket drop in barrel, he might try it to see if there's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When a similar topic came up years ago, someone (I think Gio) checked a bunch of agency Glock pistols, and almost everyone had a front sight canted slightly to the left. A tiny bit of cant goes a long way. Out of curiosity, so you can try to differentiate between front sight installation, shooting technique and the pistol, have you had any left hand shooters check zero?
    I get what you're saying, but a very expensive vice was ultimately used (vice, not rest) which is a much more surefire way of checking, rather than human error introduction, and the vice replicated the problem as well as I did in regard to the amount that was being shot left. I did shoot it left handed from a rest and I got the same result as well.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    2-3mm at 7 yards should be easily corrected by bumping the rear sight about .003 to the right. I understand the op's desire that his pistol shoot straight but wonder if grip and stance might be affecting poi. Using myself as a sample of 1, I can say that 99% of my scores of handguns shot to the left unless I was shooting a revolver double action. The op might try shooting from a bench using a stable rest. If a friend has an aftermarket drop in barrel, he might try it to see if there's a difference.
    Admittedly, I just threw those numbers out. I don't recall exactly the distance and amount it was being shot to the left (though I remember it being very little at closer distances), since it's been so long that all this started and I've tackled it bit by bit over the years. I guess I could center the sights perfectly on the slide again, shoot it from the vice, and record/post the data on here. It was recently when installing the red dot optic that I was reminded of it all and felt like making a post about the struggles with that particular specific Glock. Not being a gunsmith (or very smart apparently), it all made sense to me when I checked to see the slide/barrel fitment and saw how heavily the barrel leans and pushes to one particular slide. There is also a lot more barrel/slide wear on only ONE side of the barrel (towards the side it favors), further confirming the lack of proper slide and barrel alignment.

Site Supporter
    So tell me again why not just drift the rear sight a bit to the right and move on with your life? I’m not sure it’s worth all this.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    So tell me again why not just drift the rear sight a bit to the right and move on with your life? I’m not sure it’s worth all this.
    Worth all what?

Site Supporter
    All the time you and everyone else took to type out this thread. It takes less time to drift a sight in a dovetail than to type the war and piece epic of your original post.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    However, when we have someone saying their Glock shoots left and it’s not them, we’ll ask who installed the sights and look at the front to see if it’s straight. As noted canted fronts are a common issue.
    @HCM, do you have a way to verify cant on the front sight that you use, other than visually?

This thread has me wondering if there's a mechanical way to verify cant.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    @HCM, do you have a way to verify cant on the front sight that you use, other than visually?

I am not @HCM but you can use a 12" steel ruler. Lay it along the side of the front sight and see where it aligns with the rear. Do it on both sides of the front sight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    I am not @HCM but you can use a 12" steel ruler. Lay it along the side of the front sight and see where it aligns with the rear. Do it on both sides of the front sight.
    This but with a small carpenter’s square.

User Tag List