Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock ACTUALLY shoots left.

I once had a S&W M19 that had to have the rear sight cranked way to the right. I could not see a cant in the front sight, the gun was just put together crooked.

My Glocks draw left but I am sure it is just my Colt-Smith grip. Not willing to change my grip, I moved the sights.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I have a gen2 Glock 17 which shoots left, and a gen5 Glock 19 which shoots perfectly centered. I don't think it's the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    Your front sight probably wasn't plumb to the slide. A common reason a Glock will shoot left.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Let's see a close up photo of your front sight.
    1st thing I do is check the front sight for plumb and center. If the front sight isn't perfect and often it isn't, everything else you do is compensating for a problem you shouldn't have.

Site Supporter
    I hate to sound too glib, but sights are moveable to let you get the POI that you need.
    Once questionable technique is ruled out (you shoot an identical gun just fine, another skilled shooter has a similar POI with that gun, etc),
    just MOVE THE SIGHTS.
    Individual slides and barrels have their own idiosyncrasies- some are fine with sights mechanically centered. A few need adjustment.

Since I'm a lefty, my inner aura compensates for the negative harmony which causes Glocks to shoot left and mine have generally shot pretty well centered.

If you google why do Glocks shoot left you get nearly as many theories as you do if you google why do fools fall in love. The one below is a variation of one I've heard before:

The most common reason why the Glock shoots to the left has to do with how people hold the gun. The vast majority of people are right-handed. Therefore, they tend to hold the gun and shoot the same way. First, take the Glock and make sure that it is not loaded. This is critical before going any farther.

Then, assume the firing position and pull the trigger. Once the trigger is pulled, leave the finger in the “pulled” position. Place some stress on the finger and watch the gun. The front sight of the gun probably goes to the left. This is a sign that the gun itself is being pulled to the left. This is a very common problem for people who use a Glock.

The reality is that the way the trigger pull has been designed means that people who are right-handed are going to pull the gun slightly to the left when they fire using their natural position. This might vary slightly depending on the size of someone’s hand and fingers. In addition, the reverse is probably true for people who are left-handed. They are simply in the minority. So, how can this problem be corrected?

Correcting the Left-Hand Lean of Glocks

There are a few ways to correct the way the gun pulls to the left. The first option is to rotate the pistol in the firing hand in the clockwise direction ever so slightly. This might feel a bit off and will take some time to get used to. Anyone who fires different types of weapons might not be able to get used to this, given that the grip is going to change from gun to gun.

The other option would be to loosen the grip just a little bit. The reality is that the harder someone pulls on the trigger, the more this force is going to pull the gun to the left. Remember that the Glock is known for having a very light trigger pull weight. Therefore, don’t pull on the trigger as hard. Loosen the grip of the little finger with the strong hand just a little bit. This will relax the rest of the hand, letting the grip loosen ever so slightly. For many people, this slight grip release does the trick.
    https://ghostinc.com/ghost-inc-blog/...s-shoot-left-/

I also looked at a thread titled Yes Glocks do shoot left on Glock Talk. I could feel my brain shrinking.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Thank you for the responses fellas, and I love the "gotcha" responses that are typical of elitist forums. HOWEVER, it shot left with its original front sight from the factory, it shot left with the Vogel sights I installed, and it shot left with the suppressor height BUIS that were professionally installed by the people who did my slide milling. So unless Glock, myself, and the company I used to do my slide milling all installed the front sight crookedly (and all of us to the same direction, for the exact same amount LOL), the gun does shoot slightly left. When looking down the barrel installed on it's slide, it does appear to be slightly off center, showing more of a "hole" or "light" on one side than the other. Relax fellas, I love my Glock 34, it's one of my favorite pistols and I use it all the time, no need to take it so personal. I AM NOT IMPLYING ALL GLOCKS SHOOT LEFT. JUST MINE. I have shot other Glocks that didn't have this issue. There is no such thing as perfect 1 to 1 manufacturing processes. There could be "lemons", though I would hardly call it that since it runs so well. Believe it, don't, that fine. I know somewhere out there, there might be a gun that truly just shoots off center and the guy is banging his head against the wall wondering if it's him or the gun. To him, I'd tell him, if you're one hell of a shot with other pistols, including with other copies of the exact model you're trying to diagnose, it's probably the gun.
    Last edited by IDontDoQuests; 01-28-2023 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I hate to sound too glib, but sights are moveable to let you get the POI that you need.
    Once questionable technique is ruled out (you shoot an identical gun just fine, another skilled shooter has a similar POI with that gun, etc),
    just MOVE THE SIGHTS.
    Individual slides and barrels have their own idiosyncrasies- some are fine with sights mechanically centered. A few need adjustment.
    I completely agree. Which is what I ended up doing. It's just for a OCD guy like myself, it always bothered me that out of all my glocks or other handguns, that specific G34 was the only one that needed that much drifting. But as you said, "idiosyncrasies". The red dot really helps alleviate that mental problem since it's not as readily apparent that there's something out of alignment with the slide.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I had a Gen 3 17 that needed the sights drifted all the way to edge. That bugged me after a while, so I put a Silencerco barrel in and guess what - had to punch the rear sight back to the center. Not saying anything was really wrong with factory setup, it just do be like that sometimes.

I may have missed it, but did the photo of the front sight eve get posted?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by IDontDoQuests View Post
    So unless Glock, myself, and the company I used to do my slide milling all installed the front sight crookedly (and all of us to the same direction, for the exact same amount LOL)
    You know, you can twist the front sight the other way and that’ll allow you to put the rear more center even if the gun wants to shoot left.

I have a revolver that requires the adjustable rear all the way to the side.

User Tag List