Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holster & concealment orthodoxies that you find questionable

Holster & concealment orthodoxies that you find questionable

Has anybody found any popular "wisdom" about holsters or concealment in general to be untrue or not universally true in their experience?

The classic that comes to mind, although I've heard it less often in recent years, is that shorter guns are somehow more comfortable AIWB. I think most of the folks on this forum are up to speed on the benefits of a longer holster for many if not most people. For those who haven't really thought about it, or have a limited frame of reference, I think it's easy to see why it might initially make sense to assume shorter = more comfortable. I've personally found that lengths approaching G34 are ideal for me for most guns, although I can live with less. Still, the industry keeps putting out these weird, shorter barrelled versions of compact pistols- the 3.6" M&P compacts and the Sig P320 XCompact models come to mind. I can't quite wrap my head around what they're chasing with these models when the G19 form factor has been the public's darling for decades now.

One oft-repeated observation that I've found untrue in my experience is that snubby revolvers "just work" AIWB and that holsters for them don't generally need the same concealment features you see on semi-autos. This has usually come from people more experienced than me with them, so I'm sort of torn on whether I'm just a novice who doesn't know anything, or they're just not carrying their snubbies in challenging attire. *My* experience so far is that the profile of a snubby acts basically as an inversion of a holster wedge or pillow- the gun is very narrow up front, and widens at the cylinder which is generally in line with your belt. The wedge shape and pressure make the muzzle want to cant inward, tilting the grip outward. With small enough grips this could still be a non-issue in terms of concealment, but I find it pretty uncomfortable using kydex and it does result in more printing for me. I find a well-placed pillow wedge is effective as a remedy, but that's still adding bulk to the package and bringing the overall footprint more closely in line with the size of a G26 or G19, albeit with a much more concealable grip above the belt.

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you are talking about, but, a couple of days ago I took two DCC clips and cut off the little tabs that are supposed to slip behind the belt. Guess what? Clips still hold great and I get to use less cuss words getting the holster on and off. But, I'm a savage who is gonna get kilt in the skreets...
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

One of the most common misconceptions I see is that ANYTHING is a one size fits all solution.

The same gun/holster/belt in the same position on two people that weigh the same, and are the same height may not be equally concealed or comfortable.

Somethings tend to work better than others, obviously. But thinking it will absolutely work for you because it does for someone else may be a mistake.

For some, there is this idea that effective concealment requires a ridiculously rigid belt. I've found it's a spectrum that's highly dependent on your carry method and holster.

The stiffer the belt is past a certain point, in my experience, the more unnaturally the gun/holster moves in relation to your body. At least this is the case for IWB carry. This can make you print more. Try wearing an insanely rigid belt and then bending over to pick something up like you might do at the grocery store. Either you're AIWB and the gun is probably going to jam into your gut. Or else it's on your hip and the gun is just flagged out there like a mailbox. A belt that's not too rigid will better conform to your body.

On one extreme end of the spectrum is a thin department store belt or something the equivalent of thin watch strap type nylon. On the other end are steel-lined leather belts like some of those from Ted Blocker (basically a slim jim wrapped around your waist LOL). In reality, if you're carrying IWB, the ideal belt is probably somewhere in between. Maybe a little rigid in certain directions but, still flexible enough to allow the gun to move with the body when necessary. OWB is a different story and I'd say the ideal belt would be highly dependent on the intended use as well as the holster.

Love handles

My issue is finding a system that works for my body type. No doubt others can empathize. My love handles are always on top of the list to dress around. OWB not a problem for range use, but not optimal for concealment. I'm looking to tote a HK P2000 or Beretta PX4, that size pistol. Some kind of on the belt waist pouch is a possibility, but it just seems to scream "valuables onboard". So my search continues.

Kydex is king! No kydex is rigid and unforgiving causing hotspots and discomfort. I grew up in the gun world with a 5 inch 1911 and a summer special holster. The horse hide molded and conformed to my body. I don't ever remember it being uncomfortable.

Out of all of the kydex holsters I have bought over the years, there are 2 that I use regularly. A JMCK Universal for a P365, its sole purpose is to have a hard shell for my Kit bag. The other is an Alabama Backbone for my LCR and its on the way out as soon as its replacement gets here from PCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    For some, there is this idea that effective concealment requires a ridiculously rigid belt. I've found it's a spectrum that's highly dependent on your carry method and holster.
    Very much agreed. I had used an Ares Aegis belt for years, and couldn't find anything to top it. Based upon feedback, I tried the Tenicor Zero belt. Much less rigid, buckle function remains similar, yet better, less bulk around belt line. Conceals better, with a variety of holster.
    Taking a break from social media.

I find only the dangerous type questionable. Everything else is you do you. Is rather see someone safely carry a Keltec 32acp in the small of their back holster than not carry at all.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    My issue is finding a system that works for my body type. No doubt others can empathize. My love handles are always on top of the list to dress around. OWB not a problem for range use, but not optimal for concealment. I'm looking to tote a HK P2000 or Beretta PX4, that size pistol. Some kind of on the belt waist pouch is a possibility, but it just seems to scream "valuables onboard". So my search continues.
    I've had great success with a JMCK AIWB Wing Claw 2.5 (options: wide hole pattern, PTD loops, full guard) for years (for the P2000, and the quick ship version for the PX4).

In my case, I prefer carrying at 3:00 with a straight drop. The concealment is excellent, and with how effectively the claw rotates the grip inwards, even a full size gun conceals very well.

People who say that "Pocket guns don't need sights... They're meant for 'bad breath' distance..." are idiots that have never tried to draw from a pocket while Paul Sharp or Matt Little is tying you up... If you can draw and shoot from 5 yards, that's loads better than in fight access...

User Tag List