Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P&S Modcast 329 Defensive Handheld Lights

P&S Modcast 329 Defensive Handheld Lights

2 hours and 33 minutes discussing hand held lights.

Wondering what NH Shooters thoughts are on their discussion...
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    2 hours and 33 minutes discussing hand held lights.

Wondering what NH Shooters thoughts are on their discussion...
    I will have to check it out, thanks for the heads up!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Gay... I initially only saw 329 and thought they were talking revolvers.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I listened to the podcast and not surprisingly, found myself aligned with what was discussed!

As a note, this was a recent post by P&S on Instagram (I believe by Matt) - https://www.instagram.com/p/Cnk8VXSvDdL/

Here are my Cliff Notes of the points that were made;

• For an admin light, any decent light will do. Ideally it should be compact with minimal candela for close work. A mention was made about being able to clip a light to the bill of a cap for hands-free use.
    • For a tactical light, "switchology" that always brings the light on full power is needed, as is good control of momentary operation.
    • Quality construction and potted electronics are needed to ensure the light survives hard use.
    • While a good combination of center hot spot and spill is preferable, the advantages of high candela were mentioned numerous time.
    • Lights designed by product engineers and marketing people are usually not ideal for tactical uses, and end up with "goofy" features not suitable for the application.
    • "Stabby / pokey things" (aggressively crenelated bezels) are best used for wearing holes in pockets.
    • There was praise for the Modlite and Cloud Defensive products

In the Q&A section, there was discussion of civilian use of tactical lights that mirrors my own thoughts on their use.

Good presentation on the subject matter, well worth the listen!

PS - I need to get these guys to try one of my lights. ;-)
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post

Yep.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Crenelations defeat the very purpose they pretend to serve: making the light useful as an emergency impact weapon. As soon as the crenelations (or words like "Defender") are added to the light, its purpose as a weapon is obvious, creating a likelihood that security screeners will not allow the light to pass through a screening.

The best "Defender" type light I have ever seen is the Malkoff Bodyguard V2 with the Malkoff body having the fully shrouded tailcap. The shroud limits access to the tail switch a bit more than desired when using the light as a light, but also provides a nice striking surface on that end of the light. The head has a nicely recessed lens. The circumferential ridges and grooves on the body facilitate a secure grasp. Nothing about the light screams "weapon."

I listened to the podcast and not surprisingly, found myself aligned with what was discussed!

As a note, this was a recent post by P&S on Instagram (I believe by Matt) - https://www.instagram.com/p/Cnk8VXSvDdL/

Here are my Cliff Notes of the points that were made;

• For an admin light, any decent light will do. Ideally it should be compact with minimal candela for close work. A mention was made about being able to clip a light to the bill of a cap for hands-free use.
    • For a tactical light, "switchology" that always brings the light on full power is needed, as is good control of momentary operation.
    • Quality construction and potted electronics are needed to ensure the light survives hard use.
    • While a good combination of center hot spot and spill is preferable, the advantages of high candela were mentioned numerous time.
    • Lights designed by product engineers and marketing people are usually not ideal for tactical uses, and end up with "goofy" features not suitable for the application.
    • "Stabby / pokey things" (aggressively crenelated bezels) are best used for wearing holes in pockets.
    • There was praise for the Modlite and Cloud Defensive products

In the Q&A section, there was discussion of civilian use of tactical lights that mirrors my own thoughts on their use.

Glad you liked it and thanks for posting your observations.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. I'm interested in your lights and can work them into an article, etc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Crenelations defeat the very purpose they pretend to serve: making the light useful as an emergency impact weapon. As soon as the crenelations (or words like "Defender") are added to the light, its purpose as a weapon is obvious, creating a likelihood that security screeners will not allow the light to pass through a screening.

The best "Defender" type light I have ever seen is the Malkoff Bodyguard V2 with the Malkoff body having the fully shrouded tailcap. The shroud limits access to the tail switch a bit more than desired when using the light as a light, but also provides a nice striking surface on that end of the light. The head has a nicely recessed lens. The circumferential ridges and grooves on the body facilitate a secure grasp. Nothing about the light screams "weapon."
    I took a dremel to the crenellations on my SF lights a long time ago.

I
    Let me know if you need an introduction with them.
    #RESIST

User Tag List