Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR WML barrel shadow?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    You'll get that with any light with it being that far from the muzzle. Having the light mounted underneath the barrel makes the issue worse since the barrel is blocking area that you actually need to see.

If you used something like the mount below with an x300U, you'd still have barrel shadow, but it would be directly under the barrel on the ground where you wouldn't be able to see/notice it.

https://arisakadefense.com/mossie-mi...913-fsb-mount/
    This ^ is one valid option.

Another option is the 2 piece 1913 rail mounts which clamp to the “A” frame front sight block. Both Midwest Industries and GG&G versions work well.

https://www.gggaz.com/the-dually-dua...ory-mount.html

Impact weapon components has a variety of light mounts which attach to polymer handguards and push the lights out past the FSB.

https://www.impactweaponscomponents....-mount-n-slot/

Site Supporter
    The GG&G mount for the front sight frame positions the light in a convenient position to work the switch if you do not have a remote switch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The GG&G mount for the front sight frame positions the light in a convenient position to work the switch if you do not have a remote switch.
    I ran one on my work rifle when we had 14.5” guns and plastic hand guards. They work well.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    They're definitely very versatile and useful.

If you do want to use a tape switch, it allows you to mount the light on the strong hand side, and run a sling on the weak hand side facing your body instead of having to use the bottom sling swivel.

Unlike all the other mount options, it kills two birds with one stone
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Nature of the beast. Happens with lights mounted at 3:00 and 9:00, too. You adapt and deal with it. I find it more important to be able to reach the switch consistently than to minimize artifact.

Kyle Lamb has recommended the light position of 12:00, and I agree with him, but I currently run one at 9:00 in a mount from his company. My next work upper (maybe next year?l) will have the light at 12:00, probably a TLR or X300U, mounted in front of the front sight post.

pat
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    You'll get that with any light with it being that far from the muzzle. Having the light mounted underneath the barrel makes the issue worse since the barrel is blocking area that you actually need to see.

If you used something like the mount below with an x300U, you'd still have barrel shadow, but it would be directly under the barrel on the ground where you wouldn't be able to see/notice it.

https://arisakadefense.com/mossie-mi...913-fsb-mount/
    The only light I have at 3:00/9:00 is tucked under my MAWL, if I'm off to the side I like them higher at about 10:30/2:30.

I really like my light at the 12 o'clock position for all the reasons mentioned, also for being more barricade/corner friendly. I have a pre-Arisaka Mossie Midnight, I think it is a simple and great solution for light on an FSB carbine and they work very well with a Magpul SL Handguard. The Modlite PDW 350 is great light at the 12 on FF handguards, I'm going to have check it out on the MM.

Last edited by titsonritz; 01-29-2023 at 01:51 AM.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This ^ is one valid option.

Another option is the 2 piece 1913 rail mounts which clamp to the “A” frame front sight block. Both Midwest Industries and GG&G versions work well.

https://www.gggaz.com/the-dually-dua...ory-mount.html

Impact weapon components has a variety of light mounts which attach to polymer handguards and push the lights out past the FSB.

https://www.impactweaponscomponents....-mount-n-slot/
    I've use the GG&G SLIC THING SLING AND LIGHT COMBO MOUNT it worked well.

IWC is also a good option, I've been using Arisaka products more these day, but have IWC quite a bit as well.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    The only light I have at 3:00/9:00 is tucked under my MAWL, if I'm off to the side I like them higher at about 10:30/2:30.

I really like my light at the 12 o'clock position for all the reasons mentioned, also for being more barricade/corner friendly. I have a pre-Arisaka Mossie Midnight, I think it is a simple and great solution for light on an FSB carbine and they work very well with a Magpul SL Handguard. The Modlite PDW 350 is great light at the 12 on FF handguards, I'm going to have check it out on the MM.

due to holster fit issues, my mod lite pistol light wound up mounted 12 o’clock on an M4A1 via an Arisaka version of the Mossie midnight mount. The fact that it comes with the longer paddles makes it a great choice for the application.

One consideration of the Mossie Tactics mount if you have an exposed FSB is how you use the light.

If you prefer to use momentary activation instead of just turning it on and leaving it on, the Mossie Tactics mount will require the user to wear gloves to prevent burning bare skin on the FSB when using paddle activated pistol lights.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I was able to remedy the shadow situation, albeit until I invest in another mount and/or handguard, by moving the light 1.5 inches forward in the Elzetta. The front of the light is only 2.5 from the barrel end. This reduced and raised the shadow so it's now out of my RDO's sight picture. Center of beam is crisp and uncluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    One consideration of the Mossie Tactics mount if you have an exposed FSB is how you use the light.

If you prefer to use momentary activation instead of just turning it on and leaving it on, the Mossie Tactics mount will require the user to wear gloves to prevent burning bare skin on the FSB when using paddle activated pistol lights.
    I mentioned above the Mossie pairs well with Magpul SL Handguard, it helps the hot FSB issue quite a bit.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

User Tag List