Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Apollo Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star Gear View Post
    Yes, there is both height and cant adjustment on them. There is not an Apollo revision on the way, the design is locked in and we are continually adding SKU's.
    Excellent, thank you. Will there be any SKU's added for P2000/SK or USP/C for the foreseeable future? I also saw that this Apollo has been advertised as being made of Boltatron. Is that correct? I have P30 Orion in Gray that also appears to be Boltatron but no mention of kydex/boltatron in the website, are all the options for colors Boltatron in general or are some kydex? I ask because I really prefer Boltatron over kydex for the durability/abrasion resistance/heat resistance benefits, so I'm strictly avoiding kydex these days.

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    Excellent, thank you. Will there be any SKU's added for P2000/SK or USP/C for the foreseeable future? I also saw that this Apollo has been advertised as being made of Boltatron. Is that correct? I have P30 Orion in Gray that also appears to be Boltatron but no mention of kydex/boltatron in the website, are all the options for colors Boltatron in general or are some kydex? I ask because I really prefer Boltatron over kydex for the durability/abrasion resistance/heat resistance benefits, so I'm strictly avoiding kydex these days.
    It's Boltaron.

I'm curious though, why the preference from Boltaron over Kydex? There's very little realized differences between the two, at least with the grades we use. The two companies have a variety of textures, and some will use other textures.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

I'm wearing mine with a G26 right now. It's a fine holster.

I find that I don't need the Dark Wing for AIWB, just a small wedge provides enough tuck that it hides well, especially under a sweatshirt like I'm wearing today.

I had replaced the original belt attachment with DCCs, but found after trying it out that I actually preferred the RCS clips that it came with. And though they may appear to be a lesser choice, I have not been able to tug the holster off the belt, (currently the Wilderness "Swift" belt), while exerting what I consider a reasonable amount of force to do so.

Sometimes "minimalist" is the best choice.

My two cents for today.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

It's Boltaron.

I'm curious though, why the preference from Boltaron over Kydex? There's very little realized differences between the two, at least with the grades we use. The two companies have a variety of textures, and some will use other textures.
    For one, FL vehicle temperatures will quickly ruin kydex if left inside the cabin but it's my understanding Boltatron is more tolerant of heat and may be able to withstand this better. That's a main concern but secondary is I've seen the owner of Raven Concealment cite quality control issues as the reason they moved away from it to Boltatron. Their material is much thinner than what is on my Orion so it may not be as important as the added strength of thicker material may negate that factor to a large degree. I also find the Boltatron has a preferable texture to it, it feels more supple/smooth despite being a similar pattern/texture to kydex so less likely to catch or irritate skin. I've also seen that Boltatron has a degree of flame resistance, which could be a big deal in the rare event that you're exposed to a serious flame... last thing I'd want is melted kydex on my skin. Even if theirs other burns sending you to the ER, I can't imagine this wouldn't be a very serious situation to remedy.

Basically, everybody knows kydex but Boltatron seems to have a superior product both from a manufacturing and end-user perspective. I know Tenicor seems to use it exclusively and Blade-tech does as well for the non-injection molded stuff. I've got more experience with kydex/boltatron in knife/sword sheaths and my experience there has been a reinforcement of what Boltatron claims for their holster grade material, though I've not done testing it certainly appears better in my use.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 12.37.00 PM.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  24.2 KBName:  Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 12.37.31 PM.jpg
Size:  29.4 KB

So if I'm understanding your statement (It's Boltatron), do I take that to mean you use Boltatron exclusively for all your holsters?

Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    For one, FL vehicle temperatures will quickly ruin kydex if left inside the cabin but it's my understanding Boltatron is more tolerant of heat and may be able to withstand this better. That's a main concern but secondary is I've seen the owner of Raven Concealment cite quality control issues as the reason they moved away from it to Boltatron. Their material is much thinner than what is on my Orion so it may not be as important as the added strength of thicker material may negate that factor to a large degree. I also find the Boltatron has a preferable texture to it, it feels more supple/smooth despite being a similar pattern/texture to kydex so less likely to catch or irritate skin. I've also seen that Boltatron has a degree of flame resistance, which could be a big deal in the rare event that you're exposed to a serious flame... last thing I'd want is melted kydex on my skin. Even if theirs other burns sending you to the ER, I can't imagine this wouldn't be a very serious situation to remedy.

Basically, everybody knows kydex but Boltatron seems to have a superior product both from a manufacturing and end-user perspective. I know Tenicor seems to use it exclusively and Blade-tech does as well for the non-injection molded stuff. I've got more experience with kydex/boltatron in knife/sword sheaths and my experience there has been a reinforcement of what Boltatron claims for their holster grade material, though I've not done testing it certainly appears better in my use.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 12.37.00 PM.jpg
Size:  24.2 KBName:  Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 12.37.31 PM.jpg
Size:  29.4 KB

So if I'm understanding your statement (It's Boltatron), do I take that to mean you use Boltatron exclusively for all your holsters?
    I'll address this in another thread. Almost all of our products are boltaron, unless injection molded or production printed, in which case they're glass filled nylon or nylon.
    Dark Star Gear

I'll address this in another thread. Almost all of our products are boltaron, unless injection molded or production printed, in which case they're glass filled nylon or nylon.
    Thank you for clarifying and I look forward to the other thread. I'll be adding an Apollo (or two) to the stable here shortly after some bills get paid so I'll report back on how I like it in a few months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm wearing mine with a G26 right now. It's a fine holster.

I find that I don't need the Dark Wing for AIWB, just a small wedge provides enough tuck that it hides well, especially under a sweatshirt like I'm wearing today.

I had replaced the original belt attachment with DCCs, but found after trying it out that I actually preferred the RCS clips that it came with. And though they may appear to be a lesser choice, I have not been able to tug the holster off the belt, (currently the Wilderness "Swift" belt), while exerting what I consider a reasonable amount of force to do so.

Sometimes "minimalist" is the best choice.

My two cents for today.
    That is encouraging, as I found the Dark Wing was not for me on the Orion I tried it with. I was very thin at the time and that may have had something to do with it but my plan was to try the Apollo without DW and see how it goes with P365. I agree with the RCS clips being a nice option and I much prefer that being polymer they are less inclined to tear up a webbing belt like Wilderness, etc. I think the main drawback would be that it may be easier to have someone try to actually lift up the wings to rip off a holster in a tangle, as the polymer is dramatically easier to flex enough to pop off the belt. Not sure how likely a move that may be but I'd see it being far easier with the RCS.

With all of the AIWB features, aside from the length (G19 length is the minimum), I'm a big fan of trying things plain first. Most people will need a wing, enough that it's gonna be standard shortly on the premier product, but some don't. If you're super lean the gun may already be sitting flat and tangent to the body, adding more inward force doesn't make things better. If you're larger your body may absorb some of the profile of the gun and you need less.

The choice of the RCS clips is largely cost related, but they weren't the only choice. They are, however, the only plastic attachment that I am aware of that has passed all of the three letter agency and other agency requirements for large contracts. That doesn't make them the most secure, they are simply not, but they are an attachment I can sleep at night knowing people have on their holster. On the cost front, we are able to obtain them in a large volume for excellent pricing, which allowed us to keep the Apollo at an attainable price point such that you can suggest them to your cheap friends who don't get it, or keep it as a backup for times when you need an off hand holster.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....20#post1534420
    Last edited by Dark Star Gear; 12-14-2023 at 01:57 PM.
    Dark Star Gear

User Tag List