Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer Romeo M17

Sig Sauer Romeo M17

Cliffs: Sig introduces their Romeo M17 at SHOT2023: a military enclosed pistol optic with "mount from the bottom" feature.

Side battery with cover having a knurled (for gloves?) outer rim. It's big, but maybe the 2032 battery with 240 mAh is needed for .mil, or USG uses a ton of 2032's with NSNs already, simplifying logistics. (for comparison a 1632 (HS 507k) is 135 mAh). On the other hand a side mounted battery makes the deck height lower, allowing the standard sights to be reused.

The "toe" on the front of the optic body inserts into a recess in the slide, retained with the same single rear retention screw as the original tritium sight. I've not seen that before. I would imagine it makes for a very secure, very simple mounting. Especially at 40 in lbs. 15 brightness settings with 3 being NV. Selectable 2 MOA dot / 32 MOA circle reticle. "Fully US Assembled". I didn't see if it had auto or manual only adjust on brightness?

Sig rep indicates commercial model coming this year (retail $600-$700) as well as P365 versions down the road.

Last edited by RJ; 01-27-2023 at 09:58 AM.

If these live up to the hype, I could see three of these in my future. Two for pistols and one on a 12:00 ring mount to backup my LPV.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Hmm. Might just be my first pistol optic.

Damn, it looks pretty pretty great. I remember looking at the P365XL slides and how the irons were screwed in from the bottom and thinking it would just be a matter of time before a screw came loose and locked up the gun. After lots of rounds and many slides and guns later my concerns were completely unfounded. I definitely look forward to getting one. Not a fan of the width increase but they had to put the battery somewhere and it keeps deck height low. I would love to see something like this a la HS SCS with rechargeable battery and solar panels. Things are definitely taking leaps and bounds now with the pistols red dots. Exciting times.

This is the first really compelling offering I have seen from Sig. I think the Romeo 2 is an interesting optic, but it prices itself out of the market in my opinion. There is a lot to like in this one, it appears. The one thing that I wonder about is not being able to see the screws to quickly check and make sure that they are not starting to loosen. Probably an overblown concern, but I witness mark everything and check regularly.

The main vulnerability of this mounting method is that, if done incorrectly, there is a very real possibility of tying up the mechanism in a way that would not be easily solved. A very unforgiving situation, if a screw comes loose and isn't caught in time.

It's super interesting, but I think the side clamp mount represented by the Acro and 509 is the way forward. I can see a future where slides have a miniature sized version of what looks like a pic rail with shallow recesses, and you can mount any side clamp optic to it. Manufacturers could place their recoil lug on the optic in any position as long as they agree on the same lug dimensions. I haven't been able to get hands on an Acro to compare the lug to the 509T, but I wouldn't be surprised if this could be accomplished right now. Mounting PMOs would become as easy as optics on an AR-15.

I think the underneath screw was specific to the M17. I wonder what they will choose for a mounting system for the commercial market. I might have by an M17.

Yowza. That’s Aimpoint T-2 money.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List