Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Revolver standards?

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Moonclips suck for actual defensive carry. If they get bent in your pocket, you're screwed. Police agencies may repel logic, but in the revolver era when I started, I know of no agency that issued revolvers and moon clips. They are too easily damaged by carry and actual use.
    I haven't actually field carried my .45 ACP revolvers much. They are mostly range toys. That said, I've got better than a fair amount of experience running them. I think the fragility of moon clips is vastly overstated. Half moon clips are absolutely prone to deforming. Full moon clips on the other hand are pretty structurally rigid. I've never had one deform. This is shooting full moon .45 ACP clips mostly sourced from Numrich plus, of course, random jars of unknown provenance at gun shows. Can't vouch for others. Still, in my experience, you might as well worry about damaging sheet metal magazine lips from pocket carry as much as worrying about bending full moon clips.

ETA: deferring to @jetfire experience above for the smaller format clips.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    @03RN - could you provide a link to the drill/eval, please? All of it didn't show on screenshot. And-nice work sir.

On the moon clips, there were Colt and S&W war revolvers, so carriage must have been figured out-some sort of pouch arrangement rather than pockets seems advisable. I shoot a 625 about once a year, so I'm no expert like the guys earlier.

Typical PF drift, so I'll just leave for now that imho shooting standards should probably be the same across action types.
    See how a "Wizard" eval goes, or Givens' SCAT eval seems very reasonable.

I'll wish everyone here "clear sighting and a good trigger"!
    (And a slick load if needed)
    The ASP 10-Round Skill Check

Gun must be holstered and concealed. Shooting from open carry adds .35 seconds to the time recorded, excepting duty holsters with level 2 retention or above.
    Target is 7 yards away
    Scoring is “Virginia” style, meaning no make up shots are allowed. Extra shots are penalized -10 points. Hits are scored according to USPSA Minor Power Factor, I.e. 5 for A zone, 3 for B or C zone, 1 for D zone. Total points possible are 50 points, divided by total time for all four stages, giving hit factor. Take hit factor and multiply by 12.5 to normalize scores to 100 point system.Starting position for all stages may be hands at sides, hands at defensive fence, or “fig leaf” without grasping the cover garment. Strong side, AIWB, pocket carry, or ankle carry are all acceptable carry locations.
    Stage 1 (Draw to first shot)raw and fire one shot, center mass. Record time and points.Repeat one time for a total of 2 rounds fired.
    Stage 2 (Dave Spaulding Skill on Demand Drill)raw and fire 2 shots to the head. Record time and points.
    Stage 3 (Bill Drill, made by Bill Wilson)raw and fire 6 shots, center mass. Record time and points.
    Scoring: 1.Add total points. (50 points are possible)2.Add total time on all four stages.3.Divide total points by total time.4.Multiply score by 12.5 to normalize to 100 point system.

Last edited by 03RN; 01-27-2023 at 09:15 AM.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Moonclips suck for actual defensive carry. If they get bent in your pocket, you're screwed. Police agencies may repel logic, but in the revolver era when I started, I know of no agency that issued revolvers and moon clips. They are too easily damaged by carry and actual use.
    I used to think the same thing untill I dug a little deeper. It's not really a thing and was blown out of proportion from half moon clip days. Modern 0.4 .45 ACP moonclips are pretty rugged.

Back in my revolvers days, I took a Bill Jeans class with a 610 and moon clips. Most difficult part was buying all that 10mm ammo. No allowance was asked for, or needed, on the class drills.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I used to think the same thing untill I dug a little deeper. It's not really a thing and was blown out of proportion from half moon clip days. Modern 0.4 .45 ACP moonclips are pretty rugged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    That said, I've got better than a fair amount of experience running them. I think the fragility of moon clips is vastly overstated. Half moon clips are absolutely prone to deforming. Full moon clips on the other hand are pretty structurally rigid. I've never had one deform. This is shooting full moon .45 ACP clips mostly sourced from Numrich plus, of course, random jars of unknown provenance at gun shows. Can't vouch for others. Still, in my experience, you might as well worry about damaging sheet metal magazine lips from pocket carry as much as worrying about bending full moon clips.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The half moon clips used in the various 1917 revolvers were usually carried in a pouch, which you can buy a replica of today. Plus, the moon clips used for larger frame revolvers such as the 1917s or the 625 tend to be a lot sturdier than ones used for small CCW guns. I could easily bend one of the moon clips for my 905 between my index finger and thumb, but I couldn't repeat that feat with a TK Custom clip for 40 S&W Ruger GP100s.
    Thanks for that, gents. I was having a hard time wrapping my mind around that disconnect.

I think this is also one of the arguments for 9mm Moon Clipped revolvers as well.

Short casings (similar to the 45ACP) reduce the torque arm and leverage twisting the clip.

I carry the moons in a modified pill bottle and I was having a hard time understanding the kinds of forces required to bend the clip while in my front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Thanks for that, gents. I was having a hard time wrapping my mind around that disconnect.

I think this is also one of the arguments for 9mm Moon Clipped revolvers as well.

Short casings (similar to the 45ACP) reduce the torque arm and leverage twisting the clip.

I carry the moons in a modified pill bottle and I was having a hard time understanding the kinds of forces required to bend the clip while in my front pocket.
    A good general guideline is "small format clips bad, big format clips good."

I just got a cheap one from revolver supply. It works pretty good so far.

I got 40 of the revolver supply moonclips and 10 from TK customs. The ones from TK have a notch in between each shell. Are these as rugged as the solid ones?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I just got a cheap one from revolver supply. It works pretty good so far.

I got 40 of the revolver supply moonclips and 10 from TK customs. The ones from TK have a notch in between each shell. Are these as rugged as the solid ones?
    I have the revolver supply ones too. The built in backside demooner on the BMT is awesome. It demoons two at a time with a twist of the cog.

Having the loading channel of the BMT is also nice but the double demooner is the shit.

I’ve got one of those for my 8-shot 38 Super and I love it

User Tag List