Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver standards?

Revolver standards?

Should there be separate standards for revolvers?

I understand the concept of pocket gun standards, based on small handguns carried in a pocket. Once you go to handguns carried in holsters, my initial thought is standards are standards, and choosing something more or less capable is within your control.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I understand the concept of pocket gun standards, based on small handguns carried in a pocket. Once you go to handguns carried in holsters, my initial thought is standards are standards, and choosing something more or less capable is within your control.
    Scott (MSP) gave me a .1 second bonus on the Bill Drill owing to the slower mechanical splits on a revolver. When I go back, I'm not asking for the bonus because it's not needed. If I'm hitting 2.15s with an iron sighted 38 Special, 2.00 flat is just a matter of cleaning up my first shot.

So, no I don't think there should be separate standards for revolvers. I shot Gabe White's standards to the same par required for semi-autos, and only missed a turbo pin by 0.15 of a second, or one Charlie hit, depending on which drill you want to count against me.

The only place I'd argue you need a separate par for revolvers would be drills that involve a reload, and then not if we're talking about competition ready moon clip guns. Regular earth speed loader guns should get some kind of handicap benefit, but also if they don't it's no skin off my ass and I'll just shoot the drills.

No, probably. It depends on what standard you are testing. If it's 6 rounds or less, or 12 rounds or less with a mandatory reload, then the revolver can hang in with the auto loaders. Most of the drills we talk about on here, the revolvers can do just fine.

I haven't shot IDPA for a while, but I thought I actually had an advantage with revolvers because of planned reloads.

USPSA is something else since they allowed 8 shot revolvers. Even Jerry gave up.

When I was shooting IDPA, and saw a stage with 7 shots per position, and said something about it, my buddy always kidded me about my poor equipment choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    No, probably. It depends on what standard you are testing. If it's 6 rounds or less, or 12 rounds or less with a mandatory reload, then the revolver can hang in with the auto loaders. Most of the drills we talk about on here, the revolvers can do just fine.

I haven't shot IDPA for a while, but I thought I actually had an advantage with revolvers because of planned reloads.

USPSA is something else since they allowed 8 shot revolvers. Even Jerry gave up.

When I was shooting IDPA, and saw a stage with 7 shots per position, and said something about it, my buddy always kidded me about my poor equipment choice.
    You always seemed to run the wheel guns pretty good, at PCSI.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    You always seemed to run the wheel guns pretty good, at PCSI.
    Thanks. That was a fun place to shoot, but it was a long drive. Lots of good people there.

Yes. If the goal of a standard is to test shooter proficiency.

No. If the goal of a standard is to test equipment proficiency.

I can see it either way. So depends on what you’re trying to test.

There should be no difference. Years ago I took a class by Rob Leathem and was the only revolver shooter. At first he was hesitant on having me there but I told him I had all my moon clips loaded up and just wanted to learn what he had to do. He didn't want me slowing down the class.

I ended up being the second to top shooter in the class of 20. There is no discrimination in his class now.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post

Fun note, they got rid of the "revolver neutral" rule a while ago in IDPA. I've had some 7-8 shot presentations in the last few matches that made me want to yeet my gun

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Fun note, they got rid of the "revolver neutral" rule a while ago in IDPA. I've had some 7-8 shot presentations in the last few matches that made me want to yeet my gun
    There’s a FTDR joke in there somewhere about force-feeding a speed loader to the MD.

To the thread, there so many well-reasoned standards out there and I’m not going to force something given that my tool of choice is on the distant periphery of the training meta.

I still like the Defoor Hat Qual and Bakersfield PD test.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

The problem does not change because of the gear one chose.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List