Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HRF Concepts COVR for RMR

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I did not realize this, but reviewing the online specifications for a couple of Aimpoints does not include "nitrogen purged" in the list of features, which appears to confirm your statement. I guess if the humidity level is controlled sufficiently carefully, it works. I am surprised.
    You can watch a (3 or 4-part) LAV video where he visits the factory to assemble his own optic, and this is specifically discussed by the Aimpoint manager in the interview. Clean room conditions + low humidity in the assembly cell is the key. They also 100% check seals using a vacuum method.

The only actual N2 purged optics I have are various Leica and Zeiss binos and prism scopes, and that makes a certain amount of sense in a complex optic with lots of nooks, crannies and adhesive joints, that moves to different parts of the factory in the assembly process.

Dry N2 is very cheap, and reliable. Certainly a lot cheaper than filtering and controlling a factory floor above a certain size.

The only purpose of an N2 purge in a non-holographic or NVG optic is moisture control. (It has other functions in holographic and NV devices).

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    You can watch a (3 or 4-part) LAV video where he visits the factory to assemble his own optic, and this is specifically discussed by the Aimpoint manager in the interview. Clean room conditions + low humidity in the assembly cell is the key. They also 100% check seals using a vacuum method.

The only actual N2 purged optics I have are various Leica and Zeiss binos and prism scopes, and that makes a certain amount of sense in a complex optic with lots of nooks, crannies and adhesive joints, that moves to different parts of the factory in the assembly process.

Dry N2 is very cheap, and reliable. Certainly a lot cheaper than filtering and controlling a factory floor above a certain size.

The only purpose of an N2 purge in a non-holographic or NVG optic is moisture control. (It has other functions in holographic and NV devices).

The cynic in me thinks it’s just going to be a cover to keep mud and rain out but require periodic removal and cleaning.

If they were really going to be slick and try an airtight seal, they could include a large plastic bag with desiccant pouches… tape your arms into the bag and assemble the optic inside your mini dehumidified compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    The cynic in me thinks it’s just going to be a cover to keep mud and rain out but require periodic removal and cleaning.

If they were really going to be slick and try an airtight seal, they could include a large plastic bag with desiccant pouches… tape your arms into the bag and assemble the optic inside your mini dehumidified compartment.
    I’m actually ok with that for a carry gun optic. I’m sometimes shocked by how much schmutz my G26’s RMR can accumulate.

Hopefully it will be made for the RMRcc too… but I’m not hopeful, I don’t think there’s been much .mil adoption of it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m actually ok with that for a carry gun optic. I’m sometimes shocked by how much schmutz my G26’s RMR can accumulate.

Hopefully it will be made for the RMRcc too… but I’m not hopeful, I don’t think there’s been much .mil adoption of it.
    There hasn’t been much adoption of the RMR CC period due to the proprietary footprint. They have had them on perpetual rebate for years because they sell well.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There hasn’t been much adoption of the RMR CC period due to the proprietary footprint. They have had them on perpetual rebate for years because they sell well.
    In some ways I like the RMRcc better than the RMR (deck design) but I agree the footprint was a mistake. I suspect it’s an evolutionary dead end since nobody has started offering RDS cut pistols for it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    In some ways I like the RMRcc better than the RMR (deck design) but I agree the footprint was a mistake. I suspect it’s an evolutionary dead end since nobody has started offering RDS cut pistols for it.
    The taller window was a good design choice. Otherwise it’s a dead end.

Unfortunately Trijicon’s leadership think they know everything and that they are somehow the pre-ordained “leader” that everyone will copy because they randomly happened to be in the right place at the right time with an ACOG piggy back optic that luckily fit on pistols. Hint - they’re not.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

That’s actually a pretty strong idea!

Although, even if this only keeps mud and rain out and needs periodic maintenance, then I’d still be in. My primary guns wear RMRs, and while I haven’t had any “open-emitter” style of issues, I think it’s fair and reasonable to state that closed-emitter optic patterns are generally superior.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    That’s actually a pretty strong idea!

Although, even if this only keeps mud and rain out and needs periodic maintenance, then I’d still be in. My primary guns wear RMRs, and while I haven’t had any “open-emitter” style of issues, I think it’s fair and reasonable to state that closed-emitter optic patterns are generally superior.
    I’m more concerned it’s going to trap water in if they don’t execute it right… like a fogged tail lamp on a car with a compromised seal.

And then that might eff you up worse than rain you could shake off of an open emitter.

That is an excellent point, inadvertently ending up with a worse problem.

Still, I would try and see, but be prepared to abandon if humidity/water issues arose.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Maybe that rumor that someone posted about a rmr type 3 at shot show will shake out for the NRA show. An rmr using the changes to the rmr cc, (deck) with a top load battery would be nice. (No info on my part, someone else posted the rumor and I’m just adding my hopes). The rmr conceals just a little better than the acro in my very limited experience. If they could add just a touch of hight to the acro window that would be great too.

Jason

User Tag List